A STUDY ON THE COMPRESSIVE & FLEXURAL STRENGTH BEHAVIOR OF STEEL FIBER REINFORCED CONCRETE BEAM.
- Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, CUET, Bangladesh.
- Student, Department of Civil Engineering, CUET, Bangladesh.
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, CUET, Bangladesh.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
In Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete (SFRC), steel fiber is added to concrete due to its ability to restrict the growth of cracks and thus changing the brittle mode of composite to a strong cement matrix with superior crack resistance. This paper presents an experimental program to investigate the compressive & flexural strength characteristics of concrete with or without steel fibers. A total of 54 nos. 100 mm concrete cube specimens & 44 nos. 100 mm x 100 mm x 500 mm concrete beam specimens were cast from M25 concrete with varying fiber volume fraction (1.0, 1.5, 2.0 & 2.5%) and two different aspect ratios (50 & 70). Required nos. of plain concrete specimens were also cast from the same concrete mix to compare the strength characteristics of plain and fiber reinforced concrete and to predict the effect of fiber inclusion. The result showed that both compressive and flexural strength of steel fiber reinforced concrete increased with the inclusion of steel fiber, the maximum being found that at 1.5% & 2% steel fiber content for compressive & flexural strength respectively and for aspect ratio of 70. Also, the cracking/failure pattern of SFRC specimens showed improved ductility over that of plain concrete.
- ACI 544.1R (1996). ?State-of-the-Art Report on Fiber Reinforced Concrete.? American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, Michigan.
- Behbahani, H.P., Nematollahi, B. and Farasatpour, M. (2011). ?Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete: A Review.?
- Shende, A.M. and Pande, A.M. (2011). ?Experimental study and prediction of tensile strength for steel fiber reinforced concrete.? International Journal Of Civil And Structural Engineering (ISSN 0976 ? 4399) Volume 1, No 4.
- Romualdi, J. and Baston, G. (1963). ?Mechanics of crack arrest in concrete with closely spaced reinforcement.? Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division., EM3. Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, 89, 147-168.
- Rana, A. (2013). ?Some Studies on Steel Fiber Reinforced Concrete.? International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering (ISSN 2250-2459. ISO 9001:2008 Certified Journal), Vol-3, Issue 1.
- Ali A. Abbas, Sharifah M. Syed Mohsin, Demetrios M. Cotsovos and Ana M. Ruiz-Teran (2013). ?Shear behaviour of steel-fibre reinforced concrete simply supported beams?, Elsevier, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 43, pp. 544?558.
- Hameed, R., Turatsinze, A., Duprat, F. and Sellier, A. (2009). ?Metallic Fiber Reinforced Concrete: Effect of Fiber Aspect Ratio on The Flexural Properties.? APRN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences (ISSN 1819-6608), Vol. 4, No. 5.
- Ann Mary Baby and Reshmi P R (2017). ?Improving the Flexural Performance of Concrete Beams Using 2D Steel Fibres? International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) (e-ISSN: 2395 -0056 p-ISSN: 2395-0072) Volume: 04 Issue: 04.
- Jodeiri and R. Quitalig (2012). ?Effect of Steel Fibre on Flexural Capacity of Reinforced Concrete Beam? Journal of Civil Engineering Research, vol. 2, pp. 100-107.
- Vishal Gadgihalli , MeenaY.R , Sindu& Raghavendra Prasad Havanje Dinakar (2017). ?Analysis Of Properties Of Concrete Using Steel Fibers As Fiber Reinforcement Admixture? International Journal of Research- Granthaalayah, ISSN- 2350-0530(O), ISSN- 2394-3629(P), Vol.5 Iss.4: RASM.
- Patil Shweta and Rupali Kavilkar (2014). ?Study of Flexural Strength in Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete? International Journal of Recent Development in Engineering and Technology (ISSN 2347 ? 6435) Volume 2, Issue 5.
- Abdul Ghaffar, Amit S. Chavhan and Dr.R.S.Tatwawadi (2014). ?Steel Fibre Reinforced Concrete? International Journal of Engineering Trends and Technology (IJETT), (ISSN: 2231-5381) Volume 9 No. 15.
- Amir M. Alani and Morteza Aboutalebi (2013). ?Mechanical Properties of Fibre Reinforced Concrete- A Comparative Experimental Study? World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Civil and Environmental Engineering Vol:7, No:9.
- Fatih, H. Tefaruk and A. Kamura (2005). ?Effects of Steel Fiber Addition on Mechanical Properties of Concrete and RC Beams? Construction and Building Materials, vol. 21, pp. 654?661.
[Nafisa Tabassum, Pranta Biswas, Saiful Islam and Moinul Islam. (2018); A STUDY ON THE COMPRESSIVE & FLEXURAL STRENGTH BEHAVIOR OF STEEL FIBER REINFORCED CONCRETE BEAM. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (Aug). 557-567] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Civil Engineering, CUET, Bangladesh.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7552
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7552
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.