EFFECTIVENESS OF STATIC STABILIZATION VERSUS DYNAMIC STABILIZATION OF CORE MUSCLES ON LOW BACK PAIN IN CYCLISTS - AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY.
- Shri Jagdishprasad Jhabarmal Tibrewala University,Rajasthan-333001.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Low back pain was shown to be a common cycling overuse injury. Development of LBP in cyclists suggests that a deactivation of the erector spinae and/or the multifidus muscles occurs as the spine maintains a flexed position during cycling. Simultaneous isometric co-contraction of the transverse abdominis and the multifidus muscles, while maintaining a neutral position of the spine, can ensure re-education and reinforcement of the stabilization roles of these muscles. No studies were there on static versus dynamic stabilization exercises for core strength. 30 cyclists with low back pain were randomly placed into two groups, group A static stabilization exercises (n=15), group B dynamic stabilization exercises (n=15). Both groups received training for 4 weeks with 10-20 repetitions twice daily. Baseline Pain, core strength and Quality of life (OSLBPQ) were recorded pre-treatment and post-treatment i.e. on end of 4th week and analyzed statistically by using VAS for pain, pressure biofeedback unit for core strength and Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire for quality of life. The results revealed that Group B dynamic stabilization showed significant improvement than the Group A static stabilization with pain (P is 0.0031), core strength (P is <0.0001) and Oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire (P is 0.0297). Both stabilization exercises were found to be beneficial but when compared in between dynamic stabilization exercises showed better improvement in cyclists with low back pain.
- Abt, J., Smoliga, JM., Brick, MJ., Jolly, JT., Lephart, SM. and Fu, FH (2007). Relationship between Cycling Mechanics and Core Stability. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21(4): 1300-1304.
- Airaksinen O, Brox JI, Cedraschi C, Hildebrandt J, Klaber-Moffett J, Kovacs F and Zanoli G (2006). Chapter 4 European guidelines for the management of chronic nonspecific low back pain. Eur Spine J,15:s192?300.
- Akuthota, V., Ferreiro, A., Moore, T. and Fredericson, M (2008). Core Stability Exercise Principles. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 7(1): 39-44.
- Asplund, C and Ross, M. (2010). Core Stability and Bicycling. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 9(3): 155-160.
- Atkins, Stephen J; Bentley, Ian; Brooks, Darrell; Burrows, Mark P; Hurst, Howard T and Sinclair, Jonathan K (2015). Electromyographic response of global abdominal?stabilizersin response to stable and unstable base isometric?exercise.Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research? - Volume 29 - Issue 6 - p 1609?1615.
- Boonstra AM, SchiphorstPreuper HR, Reneman MF, Posthumus JB and Stewart RE (2008). Reliability and validity of the visual analogue scale for disability in patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain. Int J Rehabil Res,31(2):165-9.
- Burke ER (1994). Proper fit of the bicycle. Clin Sports Med;13: 1-14.
- Burke ER (2002). Serious cycling. USA: Human Kinetics,1-248.
- Burnett AF, Cornelius MW, Dankaerts W and O?Sullivan PB (2004). Spinal kinematics and trunk muscle activity in cyclists: A comparison between healthy controls and non-specific chronic low back pain subjects-A pilot investigation. Man Ther; 9:211-219.
- Camera, DM., Anderson, MJ., Hawley, JA. and Carey, AL (2010). Short-term endurance training does not alter the oxidative capacity of human subcutaneous adipose tissue. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 109(2) 307-316.
- Clair JM, Okuma Y, Misiaszek JE and Collins DF (2009) Reflex pathways connect receptors in the human lower leg to the erector spinae muscles of the lower back. Experimental Brain Research 196: 217-227.
- Crisco JJ, Panjabi MM, Yamamoto I and Oxland TR (1992): Euler stability of the human ligamentous lumbar spine: II. Experiment. ClinBiomech (Bristol, Avon);7:27-32.
- Davidson M and Keating JL (2002). A comparison of five low back disability questionnaires: reliability and responsiveness. Physical Therapy; 82:8-24.
- DelloIacono, Antonio; Maffulli, Nicola; Laver, Lior and Padulo, Johnny (2017). Successful treatment of groin pain syndrome in a pole-vault athlete with?corestability?exercise. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. Dec;57(12):1650-1659.
- Esha A. Bhadauria and PeeyooshaGurudut (2017). Comparative effectiveness of lumbar stabilization, dynamic strengthening, and Pilates on chronic low back pain: randomized clinical trial. Journal of Exercise Rehabilitation;13(4):477-485.
- Fabio Renovato Franca, ThomazNogueira Burke, Erica Sato Hanada and Amelia Pasqual Marques (2010). Segmental stabilization and muscular strengthening in chronic low back pain - a comparative study. Clinics;65(10):1013-1017.
- Fairbank JC and?Pynsent PB (2000). The Oswestry Disability Index. Spine,25(22):2940-2953.
- Floyd WF and Silver PH (1955). The function of the erectores spinae muscles in certain movements and postures in man. J Physiol;129:184-203.
- Hibbs, AE., Thompson, KG., French, D. Wrigley and A. Spears, I (2008). Optimizing Performance by Improving Core Stability and Core Strength. Sports Medicine. 38(12): 995-1008.
- Hodges PW (2001) Changes in motor planning of feed forward postural responses of the trunk muscles in low back pain. Exp Brain Res 141: 261-266.
- HuxelBliven, Kellie C and Anderson, Barton E (2013). Corestability?training for injury prevention.. Sports Health A Multidisciplinary Approach5(6):514-22.
- Hyun Lee and?Ji Heon Hong (2016), Comparison of trunk muscle activities in lifting and lowering tasks at various heights.J Phys Ther Sci. Feb; 28(2): 585?588.
- Inani, Sumit B and Selkar, Sohan P (2013). Effect of?corestabilization?exercises?versus conventional?exercises?on pain and functional status in patients with non-specific low back pain: a randomized clinical trial..J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil;26(1):37-43.
- Jackson M, Solomonow M, Zhou B, Baratta RV and Harris M (2001). Multifidus EMG and tension-relaxation recovery after prolonged static lumbar flexion. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 26: 715-723.
- Kevin P. Granata,?Ellen Rogers, and?Kevin Moorhouse (2005). Effects of Static Flexion-relaxation on Paraspinal Reflex Behavior. ClinBiomech (Bristol, Avon); 20(1): 16?24.
- Koumantakis GA, Watson PJ and Oldham JA (2005). Trunk muscle stabilization training plus general exercise versus general exercise only: randomized controlled trial of patients with recurrent low back pain. Phys Ther; 85(3):209?25.
- Kulandaivelan , S.; Chaturvedi , R. and Moolchandani , H (2014). Efficacy of progressive core strengthening exercise on functional endurance tests and hypertrophy of multifidus, transverses abdominis in healthy female subjects with low core endurance. Journal of Exercise Science and Physiotherapy, Vol. 10 No. 2: 114-121.
- Lee, Nam G; You, Joshua Sung H; Yi, Chung H; Jeon, Hye S; Choi, Bong S; Lee, Dong R?. Yoon, Hyun S (2018). Best?CoreStabilization?for Anticipatory Postural Adjustment and Falls in HemipareticStroke. 01.027
- Luzita I. Vela, Douglas E. Haladay and Craig Denegar (2011). Clinical Assessment of Low-Back-Pain,Treatment Outcomes in Athletes. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation, 20, 74-88.
- Magora A (1973). Investigation of the relation between low back pain and occupation: Physical requirements: Bending, rotation, reaching and sudden maximal effort. IMS Ind Med Surg, 5: 186-190.
- Mandy Marsden and Martin Schwellnus (2010). Lower back pain in cyclists: A review of epidemiology, pathomechanics and risk factors. International SportMed Journal, Vol.11 No.1, pp.216-225.
- McCormack HM, Horne DJ and Sheather S (1998). Clinical applications of visual analogue scales: a critical review. Psychol Med;18(4):1007-19.
- McGill, SM., Grenier, S., Kavcic, N. and Cholewicki, J (2003). Co-ordination of Muscle Activity to Assure Stability of the Lumbar Spine. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology. 13(4): 353-359.
- Moseley GL, Hodges PW and Gandevia SC (2002) Deep and superficial fibers of the lumbar multifidus muscle are differentially active during voluntary arm movements. Spine 27: E29-36.
- Nachemson, A (1996). The load of lumbar discs in different positions of the body. ClinOrthop; 45, 107-122.
- Panjabi, MM (1992). The Stabilizing System of the Spine. Part 1. Function, Dysfunction, Adaption and Enhancement. Journal of Spinal Disorders. 5(4): 383-389.
- Paungmali, Aatit; Joseph, Leonard Henry; Punturee, Khanittha; Sitilertpisan, Patraporn; Pirunsan, Ubon; Uthaikhup, Sureeporn (2018) a. Immediate Effects of?CoreStabilization?Exercise?on beta endorphin and cortisol Levels among Patients with chronic nonspecific Low Back Pain: A Randomized Crossover Design.Volume41,?Issue 3, Pages?181-188.
- Paungmali, Aatit; Joseph, Leonard Henry; Punturee, Khanittha; Sitilertpisan, Patraporn; Pirunsan, Ubon; Uthaikhup, Sureeporn (2017) b. Lumbopelvic Core Stabilization Exercise andPain Modulation Among Individuals withChronic Nonspecific Low Back Pain. Pain Pract;17(8):1008-1014. doi: 10.1111/papr.12552.
- Pedro Olavo de Paula Limaa, Rodrigo Ribeiro de Oliveira a, Leonardo Oliveira Pena Costa b and Gloria Elizabeth CarneiroLaurentino c (2011). Measurement properties of the pressure biofeedback unit in the evaluation of transversus abdominis muscle activity: a systematic review. Physiotherapy 97; 100?106.
- Richardson, CA and Jull, GA (1995). Muscle control - pain control. What exercise would you prescribe? Manual Therapy. 1: 2-10.
- Richardson, CA, Jull, G., Hodges, P. and Hides, J (1999). Therapeutic Exercise for Spinal Segmental Stabilization in Low Back Pain ? Scientific Basis and Clinical Approach. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone.
- Shamsi MB, Sarrafzadeh J and Jamshidi A (2014). Comparing core stability and traditional trunk exercise on chronic low back pain patients using three functional lumbopelvic stability tests. Physiother Theory Pract;31(2):89?98.
- Usabiaga J, Crespo R, Iza I, Aramendi J, Terrados N and Poza JJ(1997). Adaptation of the lumbar spine to different positions in bicycle racing. Spine;22: 1965-1969.
[Seshagirirao Makke. (2019); EFFECTIVENESS OF STATIC STABILIZATION VERSUS DYNAMIC STABILIZATION OF CORE MUSCLES ON LOW BACK PAIN IN CYCLISTS - AN EXPERIMENTAL STUDY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (Jul). 336-344] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
SHRI JJT UNIVERSITY, CHUDELA,JHUNJHUNU,RAJASTHAN.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9366
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9366
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.