- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Aberrant regeneration of third nerve following its palsy is commonly seen after trauma and compressive lesions. Also known as Oculomotor Synkinesis, it refers to the abnormal response to firing of the oculomotor nerve causing paradoxical co-contraction(i.e. synkinesis) of muscles. It is a result of persistent partial oculomotor nerve dysfunction after failure to completely recover from disruption of the nerve due to any cause. Surgical management is a great challenge in the third nerve palsy due to multiple muscle involvement. We present a case of a 43-year-old male who developed complete third nerve palsy of the left eye following road traffic accident. He came one year after an accident with aberrant regeneration and diplopia. Patient underwent contralateral recession-resection surgery for accurate alignment of the eye, to improve diplopia and ptosis.
- Walsh and Hoyt?s ; clinical? neuro-ophthalmology: The? Essentials? 3rd? edition; 354-55
- Carmel P? Noonan,? Martin? O?Connor. British? Journal? of? 1997;79: 431-434
- O?Donnell FE,? Del? Monte? M, Guyton? Simultaneous? correction? of? blepharoptosis? and? exotropia? in? aberrant? regeneration? of? the? oculomotor? nerve? by? strabismus? surgery: A? new, simplified? ptosis? correction? for? selected? cases. Ophthalmic? Surg? 1980;11:695-7
- Parulekar MV,? Elston? Surgery? on? paralytic? eye? for? oculomotor ?palsy? with? aberrant? regeneration. J Pediatric? Ophthalmology? Strabismus? 2003;40:219-21
- Gottlob I , Catalano? RA, Reinecke? Surgical? management? of? oculomotor? nerve? palsy. AM? J? Ophthalmology 1991;111:71-6
- Phuong Thi? Thanh? NGUYEN, ShailjaTibrewal,? Suma? Contralateral? eye? surgery? with? adjustable? suture? for? management? of? third? nerve? palsy? with? aberrant? regeneration . Indian? Journal? of? Ophthalmology? 2017;65:10:1058-61.
[V Rajesh Prabu, Rajlaxmi B Wasnik, Parul Priyambada and Ranjini H (2020); IMPLICIT OF CONTRALATERAL EYE SURGERY IN ABERRANT REGENERATION OF OCULOMOTOR NERVE PALSY (OCULOMOTOR SYNKINESIS) Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Mar). 1092-1094] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, Sankara Eye Hospital, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10728
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10728
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.