TYPOLOGY OF GROUNDNUT PODS AND HAULMS PRODUCERS IN THE SUDANESE ZONE OF NORTHERN BENIN.
- Department of Animal Production and Health, Polytechnic School of Abomey-Calavi, 01 BP 2009, Cotonou,University of Abomey-Calavi, Republic of Benin.
- Department of Animal Production, Faculty of Agronomic Science, University of Abomey-Calavi, 01BP 526, Republic of Benin.
- Department of Animal Production, Faculty of Agronomic Science, University of Parakou, BP 123, Republic of Benin.
- Direction of Monitoring and Evaluation of Projects and Programs, Beninese Centre for Scientific and Technical Research, 03 BP 1665, Republic of Benin.
- National Institute for Scientific Research, Research Center of Agonkanmey (CRA / INRAB), Abomey-Calavi, Republic of Benin.
- Tropical Veterinary Institute, Department of Animal Production, Faculty of Medicine Veterinary, University of Liege 20 Bd de Colonster, B43, 4000 Liege, Belgique.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Producers typology is a keyfactor toidentify the diversity of existing farms in order to establishdevelopment actions. Thisstudy aimed to characterize existing groundnut production systems in Northern Benin. Therefore, 126 groundnut farmers were enrolled and interviewed in Borgou and Alibori Departments whereby three types of production were identified. In the type 1 (about 42.06% of the study population), most of farmers are not educated and practice mainly agro-breedingand crop production. They do not use much herbicide and practice narrow ploughed ridges using daba (hoe). The production of groundnuthaulms is least developed in this system. Majority of farmers found under the type 2 are basically non-educated or in some extents a few had primary or secondary education. This type includeslivestock keepers, agro-breeders, agriculturists and traders. They represent 30.26% of the investigated population and almost half of themuse herbicides. For this case, fields are ploughed using farm carts and groundnut haulms production is a well-developed activity. Then comes the type 3 in which most of farmers have at least primary and secondary education. Such farmers are few (27.78%) in the investigatedpopulation and are mostly agro-breeders and traders. Cultivation is carried out with carts but also with tractors. Flat ploughed fields are common and herbicides are highly usedin this type of production. Most of farmers in this system produce groundnuthaulms. The characterization of the three types of producers is used to propose integrated developmentactions.
[Gbenangnon Serge Ahounou, Mahamadou Dahouda, Jonas Andre Djenontin, Aristide Mahoutin Agbokounou, Victor Moutouama, Guy Apollinaire Mensah, Benoit Koutinhouin, Jean-Luc Hornick, Issaka Youssao Abdou Karim (2016); TYPOLOGY OF GROUNDNUT PODS AND HAULMS PRODUCERS IN THE SUDANESE ZONE OF NORTHERN BENIN. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 4 (3). 726-738] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.