Screening of Resistance source against spot blotch disease caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana in Triticum aestivum L.
- Senior Research Fellow, Indian Institute of Wheat and Barley Research, Karnal-132001 (Haryana), India. Principal Scientist, Indian Institute of Wheat & Barley Research, Karnal-132 001 (Haryana), India.
- Cite This Article as
One hundred spring wheat genotypes/ germplasm (Triticum aestivum L.) lines related to Indian, CIMMYT, and Chinese were evaluated for spot blotch tolerance against natural epiphytotic conditions, caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana at hot spot locations Coochbehar, Kalyani and Karnal (Polyhouse), India Out of 100 screened entries 20 number of genotype showed Highly resistant or Immune to the disease, where as 28 genotype were resistant, 22 genotypes moderately resistant, 15 moderately susceptible and 15 genotypes susceptible. Indian germplasm lines tended to be more susceptible compression to lines originated from CIMMYT and China. Chirya-1, chirya-3, chirya-7, Yangmai#6 and Mayoor, HRLSN lines from CIMMYT and LBRL lines from India showed high degree of resistance to the disease both under field and polyhouse conditions. On the basis of the disease severity under artificial epiphytotic polyhouse conditions, 20 promising lines were find highly resistant in field natural conditions for their genetic analysis & potential for spot blotch breeding. These lines can be used hybridization programmes and since they have different parental background, it will help in diversification of gene pool. Some of these also have better potential for high yield and adaptation.
- Sharma, R.C. and Duveiller, E. (2004): Effect of Helminthosporium leaf blight on performance of timely and late-seeded wheat under optimal and stresses levels of soil fertility and moisture. Field Crops Research., 89: 205-218.
- Sharma, R. C., Duveiller, E., Ahmed, F., Arun, B., Bhandari, D., Bhatta, M. R., Chand, R., Chaurasiya, P. C. P., Gharti, B., Hossain, M.H., Joshi, A.K., Mahto, B.N., Malaker, P.K., Reza, M.A., Rahman, M., Samad, M.A., Shaheed, M.A., Siddique, A.B., Singh, A.K., Singh, K.P., Singh, R.N., Singh, S.P. (2004a): Helminthosporium leaf blight resistance and agronomic performance of wheat genotypes across warm regions of South Asia. Plant Breeding., 123:520-524.
- Chaurasia, S., Joshi, A. K., Dhari, R. and Chand, R. (1999): Resistance to foliar blight of wheat: A search on Genetic Research. Crop Evolution., 46:469-475.
- Roelfs, A. P., Singh, R.P. and Saari, E. E. (1992): Rust Disease of wheat: Concepts and methods of disease Management. CIMMYT, Mexico, USA, pp.37-38.
- Velu, G. and Singh, R.P. (2013): Phenotyping of wheat breeding, In: S.K. Panguluri and A.A. Kumar (eds), Phenotyping for Plant Breeding: Springer New York, pp.41-71.
- Joshi, A. K., Ortiz-ferrara, G., Crossa, J., Singh, G., Alvarado, G., Bhatta, M. R., Duveillar, E., Sharma, R. C., Pandit, D. B., Siddique, A. B., Das, S.Y., Sharma, R. N. and Chand, R. (2007): Associations of environments in south Asia based on spot blotch disease of wheat caused by Cochliobolus sativus. Crop Science., 47: 1071-1081.
- Singh, V. and Singh, V. N. (2007): Management of spot blotch of wheat (Triticum aestivum) caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana. Indian Journal of Agriculture Science., 77: 323-326.
- Chand, R., Pandey, S. P., Singh, H. V., Kumar, S. and Joshi, A. K. (2003): Variability and its probable cause in natural populations of spot blotch pathogen Bipolaris sorokiniana of wheat ( aestivum L.) in india. Journal Plant Disease Protection., 110: 27-35.
- Chatrath, R., Mishra, B., Ferrara, G. O., Singh, S. K., and Joshi, A. K. (2007): Challenges to wheat production in South Asia. Euphytica., 157:447-456.
- Kumar, U., Joshi, A. K., Kumar, S., Chand, R. and Roder, M. S. (2009): Mapping of resistance to spot blotch disease caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana in spring wheats. Theoretical and Applied Genetics., 118:783-792.
- Joshi, A. K., Kumari, M., Singh, V. P., Reddy, C. M., Kumar, S., Rane, J. and Chand, (2007a): Stay green trait: variation, inheritance and its association with spot blotch resistance in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Euphytica.,153:59-71.
- Joshi, A. K., Kumar, S., Ferrara, O. and Chand, R. (2004b): Inheritance of resistance to spot blotch caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana in spring wheat. Plant Breeding., 123:213-219.
- Chowdhury, A. K., Singh, G., B, S. Tyagi., Ojha, A., Dhar, T. and Bhattacharya, P. M. (2013): Spot blotch disease of wheat – a new thrust area for sustaining productivity. Journal of Wheat Research., 5:1-11.
- Singh, G., Tyagi, B. S., Singh, G. P., Chatrath, R., Singh, D. P. and Jag, Shoran. (2008): Genetic analysis and association of spot blotch resistance caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana with morphological and yield attributes in bread wheat (Triticum aestivum). Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences. 78:957-61.
- Kumar, U., Joshi, A. K., Kumar, S., Chand, R. and Roder, S. (2010): Quantitative trait loci for resistance to spot blotch caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana in wheat (T.aestivum L.) lines ‘Ning 8201’ and ‘Chirya 3’. Molecular Breeding., 26:477-491.
- Saari, E. E. and Prescot, J. M. (1975). A scale for appraising the foliar intensity of wheat disease. Plant Disease Reporter., 59: 377-380.
- Satvinder, K., Nanda, G. S., Navneet, G., Kaur, S. and Ghuman, N. (2002): Status of seed health and facultative foliar pathogens of wheat in Punjab from 1992-1999. Journal of Research, Punjab Agricultural University. 39(1):28-34
- Alam, K. B., Shaheed, M. A., Ahmed, A. U. and Malakar, P. K. (1994). Bipolaris leaf blight (spot blotch) of wheat in Bangladesh. In: D.A. Saunders and G.P. Hettel (Eds.): Wheat in Heat Stressed Environments: Irrigated, Dry areas and Rice-Wheat Farming Systems., pp.339-342. Mexico, D. F. CIMMYT.
- Shrestha, L., Timila, R. D., Mahto, B. N. And Bimb, H. P. (1997): Disease incidence and yield loss due to foliar blight of wheat in Nepal. (Eds.): E. Duviller, H.J. Dubin, J. Reeves and A. McNab. Helminthosporium blight of wheat: spot blotch and tan spot. Proc. Int. Workshop held at CIMMYT El Batan, Mexico. 9-14 Feb. 1997. pp:67-72.
- Singh, G., Sheoran, S., Chowdhury, A. K., Tyagi, B. S., Bhattacharya, P. M., Singh, V., Ojha, A., Rajita. and Sharma, Indu. (2014): Phenotypic and marker aided identification of donors for spot blotch resistance in wheat. Journal of Wheat Research., 6:98-100.
- Ojha, A., Singh, G., Singh, C., Tyagi, B. S., Singh, V. and Sharma, Indu. (2012): Potential donors for improving host resistance against spot blotch disease in wheat. International conference on Sustainable for food and Livelihood Security, Nov. 27-29. Crop Improvement, Punjab Agriculture University., pp.897-898.
- Singh, V., Sheoran, S., Singh, G., Chowdhury, A .K. , Ojha, A., Choudhary, R., Rajita, Chaudhury, A. K. and Indu, Sharma. (2012): Molecular Markers Associated with spot blotch resistance in Wheat. International conference on Sustainable for food and Livelihood Security, Nov. 27-29. Crop Improvement, Punjab Agriculture University., 451-452
- Singh, V., Singh, G., Chaudhury, A. K., Chowdhury, A. K., Tyagi, B. S., Rajita, Ritu, Ojha, A. and Sonia, Sheoran. (2015): Phenotypic and Genotypic Evaluation of RILs for Spot Blotch Resistance in Wheat. International Journal of Tropical Agriculture., 33:1799-1804.
- Dubin, H. J. (1998): Results of the south Asia regional Helminthosporium leaf blight and yield experiment, 1993-94. In: Duveillar, E., Dubin, H.J., Reeves, J., McNab, A. (eds) Helminthosporium blights of wheat: spot blotch and tan spot. CIMMYT, Mexico., pp. 182-187.
[Ashish Ojha, Gyanendra Singh, Bhudev Singh Tyagi, Virender Singh, Rajita and Pradeep Kumar. (2017); Screening of Resistance source against spot blotch disease caused by Bipolaris sorokiniana in Triticum aestivum L. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 23-28] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2716 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2716
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.