Knowledge, attitude and practices of Saudi Men towards testicular cancer and testicular self-examination in The Western Region of Saudi Arabia.
- Batterjee Medical College.
- Urologist, Umm Al-Qura University.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Since early detection is the key for a better prognosis in different types of malignancies, this paper was conducted to determine the level of knowledge, attitude and practice of testicular cancer and testicular self-examination among the population in the western region of Saudi Arabia. Materials and Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted in March 2016 at King Abdullah Sports City and Red Sea Mall Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, where 1600 male subjects aging 15 and above were interviewed, and the data were collected using a questionnaire. Results: It was determined in this study that knowledge level about TC is extremely insufficient where 61.36% reported lack of knowledge about TC. It also showed how lack of awareness of TSE and poor health education can reflect on the knowledge and practice of TSE where only 16.88% were educated. Conclusion: it is highly recommended to encourage and promote health education programs among the public regarding how common TC is in young males, as well as focus on the importance of practicing TSE regularly. It is also recommended that health care professionals should educate and periodically evaluate the role of such practices when it comes to early detection and better management of TC.
- National Cancer Institute. SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1973-1996. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute; 1998
- Siegel, R.L., K.D. Miller, and A. Jemal, Cancer statistics, 2015. CA Cancer J Clin, 2015. 65(1): p. 5-29.
- Ferlay, J., et al., Cancer incidence and mortality worldwide: sources, methods and major patterns in GLOBOCAN 2012.Int J Cancer, 2015. 136(5): p. E359-86.
- inhorn, L.H., Treatment of testicular cancer: a new and improved model. J ClinOncol, 1990. 8(11): p. 1777-81.
- Bosetti, C., et al., Trends in mortality from urologic cancers in Europe, 1970-2008.EurUrol, 2011. 60(1): p. 1-15.
- Bosl, G.J. and R.J. Motzer, Testicular germ-cell cancer. N Engl J Med, 1997. 337(4): p. 242-53.
- Rovito, M. J. (2016). \\\\\\\"Performing Testicular Self-Examination, Driving Automobiles, and Anxiety: What Is the Logical Link?\\\\\\\" Am J Mens Health.
- Weist, MD., & Finney, J.W. (1996). Training in early cancer detection and anxiety in adolescent males: A preliminary report. Journal of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 17, 98-99.
- McGlynn, K.A., et al., Trends in the incidence of testicular germ cell tumors in the United States. Cancer, 2003. 97(1): p. 63-70.
- American Cancer Society. Testicular Cancer Detailed Guide. Accessed at
- Wardle, J., et al. (1994). \\\\\\\"Testicular self-examination: attitudes and practices among young men in Europe.\\\\\\\" Prev Med23(2): 206-210.
- Peltzer, K. and S. Pengpid (2015). \\\\\\\"Knowledge, Attitudes and Practice of Testicular Self- examination among Male University Students from Bangladesh, Madagascar, Singapore, South Africa and Turkey.\\\\\\\" Asian Pac J Cancer Prev16(11): 4741-4743.
- Ozturk, A., et al. (2014). \\\\\\\"Knowledge, attitude and practices of technicians working at hospitals towards testicular cancer and self-examination of testicles in Turkey.\\\\\\\" Asian Pac J Cancer Prev15(23): 10095-10099.
- Brenner, J. S., et al. (2003). \\\\\\\"Teaching testicular self-examination: education and practices in pediatric residents.\\\\\\\" Pediatrics111(3): e239-244.
- Sayger, S. A., et al. (1988). \\\\\\\"Practice patterns of teaching testicular self-examination to adolescent patients.\\\\\\\" J Adolesc Health Care9(5): 441-442.
[Maha Shangab, Hossam Alnowahi, Mohammed Talal Al-Nazzawi, Aabed Alguraigari and Abdul aziz Baazeem. (2017); Knowledge, attitude and practices of Saudi Men towards testicular cancer and testicular self-examination in The Western Region of Saudi Arabia. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (2). 1-6] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Batterjee Medical Collage
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/3108 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/3108
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.