EVALUATION OF BITE FORCE AMONG DIFFERENT AGE GROUPS IN VISAKHAPATNAM DISTRICT.
- Post Graduate, GITAM Dental College & Hospital, Visakhapatnam. Professor and Head, GITAM Dental College & Hospital, Visakhapatnam. Reader, GITAM Dental College & Hospital, Visakhapatnam. Senior Lecturer, GITAM Dental College & Hospital, Visakhapatnam.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Bite force is an important aspect of masticatory system. Bite force assesses masticatory muscle function under clinical and experimental conditions. Measurement of maximum voluntary bite force (MVBF) in 100 individuals including males and females has been used for understanding masticatory mechanism, to evaluate the physiological characteristics of jaw muscles and study the effect of different physiological and morphological factors. The subject related factors includes- age, gender, periodontal support, height, weight, craniofacial morphology, malocclusion, temporomandibular disorder (TMD) pain. Therefore, bite force is used as a variable for evaluating masticatory function.
- Jain V, Mathur VP, Pillai RS, Kalra S. A preliminary study to find out maximum occlusal bite force in Indian individuals. Indian Journal of Dental Research, 2014; 25(3): 325-30.
- Bakke M. Mandibular elevator muscles: Physiology, action, and effect of dental occlusion. Scand J Dent Res 1993;101: 314-31.
- Varga S, Spalj S, Varga ML, Milosevic SA, Mestrovic S and Slaj M.Maximum voluntary molar bite force in subjects with normal occlusion European Journal of Orthodontics 1 of 7, November 9, 2010.
- FerrarioVF, Sforza C, Zanotti G, Tartaglia GM Maximal bite forces in healthy young adults as predicted by surface electromyography Journal of Dentistry (2004) 32, 451–457.
- Ikebe K, Nokubi T, Morii K, Kashiwagi J, Furuya M Association of bite force with ageing and occlusal support in older adults Journal of Dentistry (2005) 33, 131–137
- M. Serra & A. E. Manns Bite Force Measurements With Hard And Soft Bite Surfaces Journal Of Oral Rehabilitation 2013 40; 563—568
- Koc D, Dogan A, Bulent BGK. Bite Force and Influential Factors on Bite Force Measurements: A Literature Review. European Journal of Dentistry, April 2010, 4:223-232.
- Koc D, Dogan A, Bulent BGK. Effect of gender, facial dimensions, body mass index and type of functional occlusion on bite force. Journal of Applied Oral Sciences, 2011, 19(3):274-279.
- Takaki P, Vieira M, Bommarito S. Maximum Bite Force Analysis in Different Age Groups. International Archives of Otolaryngology, 2014, 18(3).
- Eng CM, Lieberman DE, Zink KD, Peters MA. Bite Force and Occlusal Stress Production in Hominion Evolution. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 2013, 151:544-557.
- Muller F, Hernandez M, Grutter L, Kessler LA, Weingart D, Schimmel M. Masseter muscle thickness, chewing efficiency and bite force in edentulous patients with fixed and removable implant- supported prostheses: a cross sectional multicenter study. Clinical Oral Implantology, 2012, 23:144-150.
- Sakaguchi K, Uehara S, Yagi T, Miyawaki S. Relationship between occlusal curvatures and bite force in humans. Journal of Orthodontic Waves, 2012, 71:79-84.
- Santana-Mora U, Martinez-Insua A, Santana-Penin U, Palomar AP, Banzo JC, Mora MJ. Muscular activity during isometric incisal biting. Journal of Biomechanics, 2014, 47.
- Park MK, Sung-Min, In Yun K, Park JU. Change in Bite Force and Electromyographic Activity of Masticatory Muscle in Accordance with Change of Occlusal Plane. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2012, 70:1960-1967.
- Takahashi T, Hayakawa F, Kumagai M, Akiyama Y, Kohyama K. Relations among mechanical properties, human bite parameters and ease of chewing of solid foods with various textures. Journal of food engineering, 2009, 95:400-409.
- Chen L, Prosche PA, Morne burg TR. Influence of bite force on jaw muscle activity ratios in subject-controlled unilateral isometric biting. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology, 2010, 20:961-966.
- Jain V, Mathur VP, Abhishek K, Kothari M. Effects of occlusal splint therapy on maximum bite force in individuals with moderate to severe attrition. Journal of Prosthodontic Research, 2012, 56:287-292.
- Lepley CR, Throckmorton GS, Ceen RF, Buschang PH. Relative contributions of occlusion, maximum bite force and chewing cycle kinematics to masticatory performance. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics, May 2011, 139(5)606-613.
- Abdullah MM, Saltaji H, Abou-Hamed H, Youssef M. The relationship between molar bite force and incisor inclination: A prospective cross-sectional study. International Orthodontics, 2014, 12:494-504.
- Ibacache VT, Munoz VZ, Paul O’Higgins. The relationship between Skull morphology, Masticatory muscle force and cranial skeletal deformation during biting. Annals of Anatomy, 2016, 203:59-68.
- Elham S, J. AbuAlhaja, Ibraheem A. AlZoubi, Mohammed E. Al. Rousan, Mohammad M. Hammad. Maximum occlusal bite forces in Jordanian individuals with different dentofacial vertical skeletal patterns. European Journal of Orthodontics, 2009, 1-7.
- Shimada, L. Baad-Hansen, P. Svensson. Effect of experimental jaw muscle pain on dynamic bite force during mastication. Archives of Oral Biology, 2015, 60:256-266.
- Abreu RAM, Pereira MD, Furtado F, Prado GPR, Wilson Mestriner Jr, Ferreira LM. Masticatory efficiency and bite force in individuals with normal occlusion. Archives of Oral Biology, 2014, 59:1065-1074.
- Jain V, Mathur VP, Kumar A. A preliminary study to find a possible association between occlusal wear and maximum bite force in humans. Acta Odontologica Scandinavica, 2013, 71:93-101.
- Hattori Y, Satoh C, Kunieda T, Endoh R, Hisamatsu H, Watanabe M. Bite forces and their resultants during forceful intercuspal clenching in humans. Journal of Biomechanics, 2009, 42:1533-1538.
[M. Bharat Prakash, N. V. V. Satya Bhushan, U. Siva Kalyan, K. C. Chiang, Srinivas Saketh G and K. Bramara Kumari. (2017); EVALUATION OF BITE FORCE AMONG DIFFERENT AGE GROUPS IN VISAKHAPATNAM DISTRICT. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 402-407] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Post Graduate, Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, GITAM Dental College & Hospital, Visakhapatnam-530045
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2760 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2760
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.