- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Comparative studies of phenotypic characters in some developmental stages of mulberry silkworm, Bombyx mori. L was carried out in order to access their genetic diversity. Three Jam and three Pam races evolved in J&K were selected for the study. The egg, larvae and cocoon stage were studied for the various phenotypic and economic parameters; these qualitative and quantitative characters were put into various statistical analysis like correlation studies of length and weight changes during V instar and clustering on the basis of UPGMA, Ward’s method and Single linkage analysis. Results indicated highly significant differences for all the studied characters; high positive correlation between larval length and weight change during the V instar larval stage, Also, the races were divided into few clusters/groups on the basis of weight gain characteristics. The present study will help in selection of parents for various breeding programmes and evolving new locally acclimatized, high yielding superior quality silk producing races.
- Ahsan, M.K., Rahman, S.M. & Ali, I.A. (1999). Inheritance of some quantitative traits in fifteen indigenous varieties of silkworm, Bombyx mori Univ.J. Zool. Rajshahi Univ.18: 79-83.
- Ahsan, M.K., Rahman, S.M. & Ali, I.A. (2000). Variability of some quantitative traits in the hybrids of silkworm, Bombyx mori Univ. J. Zool. Rajshahi Univ. 19: 20-24.
- Datta, R.K. (1992). Guidelines for Bivoltine Rearing.Central Silk Board, Bangalore, India, p.18.
- Furdui, E.M., Marghitas, L.A., Dezmirean, D., Mihai, C.M., Bobis, O and Pasca, I. (2010). Comparative study of biological characters of larvae, crude and dried cocoon in 7 races of Silkworm Bombyx mori, raised in Transylvania area. Scientific Papers: Animal Science and Biotechnologies, 43(1): 490-493.
- Goldsmith, M. R. (1995). Genetics of the silkworm: revisiting an ancient model system. In Molecular Model Systems in the Lepidoptera, ed. MR Goldsmith, AS Wilkins, pp. 21–76. New York: Cambridge Univ. Press
- Goldsmith, M. R., Shimada, T and Abe, H. (2005). The genetics and genomics of the silkworm, Bombyx mori. Annu Rev Entomol, 50: 71-100.
- Krishnaswami S. (1978). New technology of silkworm rearing in Bulletin No. 2, Central Sericultural research and Training Institute, Mysore, Central Silk Board, Govt. of India, 1-23.
- Li, M., Qin, Y., Hou, C., Lin, C and Chen K. (2001). Studies on some special characters in the silkworm (Bombyx mori ) germplasms in China. Sericologia41: 527–35
- Mistri, P. K. & Jayaswal, K. P. (1992). Studies on phenotypic correlations between some economic traits of silkworm, Bombyx mori L. Seric. Res. 3: 26-29
- Nagaraju, J., Goldsmith, M. R. (2002). Silkworm genomics – progress and prospects. Curr Sci 83: 415-425.
- Nezhad, M.S., Mirhosseini, S.Z., Gharahveysi, S., Mavvajpour, M and Seidavi, A.R. (2009). Analysis of Genetic Divergence for classification of morphological and larval gain characteristics of peanut cocoon silkworm (Bombyx mori) Germplasm. American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 6(5): 600-608.
- Nguku, E.K., Adolkar, V.V., Raina, S.K., Mburugu, K.G., Mugenda, O.M and Kimbu, D.M.(2009). Performance of six Bivoltine Bombyx mori. (Lepidoptera: Bombyxidae) silkworm strains in Kenya.The Open Entomology Journal, 3, 1-6.
- Nguku, E.K.,Muli, E.M and Raina S.K.(2007). Larvae, cocoon and post-cocoon Characteristics of Bombyx mori(Lepidoptera:bombyxidae) fed on mulberry leaves fortified with Kenyan royal jelly. J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manage.11(4) 85-89
- Pal, N. B and Moorthy, S. M. (2011). Assessment of variability in larval and cocoon traits in some genotypes of bivoltine silkworm,Bombyx mori International Journal of Research in Biological Sciences,1(4): 59-65.
- Peters, J.P and Martinelli, J.A. (1989). Hierarchial cluster analysis as a tool to manage variation in germplasm collection. Theor. Appl. Genet., 78:42-48.
- Rao, C.G., Seshagi, S.V., Ramesh, C., Ibrahim, B.K and Nagaraju, H., Chandrashekharaiah. (2006). Evaluation of genetic potential of the polyvoltine silkworm (Bombyx mori) germplasm and identification of parents for breeding programme. J. Zhejiang Univ Sci B 7: 215-220.
- Reza, A. M. S., Rahman, M. S. & Rahman, S. M. (1993). Studies on the variation of some larval traits in different breeds of silkworm, Bombyx mori L. J. Zool. Rajshahi Univ. 12: 21-24.
- Umashankara, M. L. and Subramanya, G. (2002). Correlation between larval weight and cocoon characters in five breeds of silkworm, Bombyx mori Geobios, 29:154-157.
- Yokoyama T. (1963). Sericulture. Ann. Rev. Entomol. 8:87-306.
- Zanatta, D.B., Bravo, J.P., Barbosa, J.F., Munhoz, R.E.F and Fernandez, M.A. (2009). Evaluation of economically important traits from sixteen parental strains of the silkworm Bombyx mori L.(Lepidoptera: Bombyxidae). Neotropical Entomology 38(3): 327-331.
[Anita Kumari and N.K.Tripathi. (2017); GENETIC DIVERSITY STUDIES IN SIX BIVOLTINE RACES OF BOMBYX MORI L., BASED ON PHENOTYPIC CHARACTERS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 1048-1054] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
department of Zoology, University of Jammu
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2851 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2851
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.