COMPARITIVE EVALUATION OF SALIVARY Ig A LEVELS AND DENTAL CARIES IN OBESE AND NON OBESE CHILDREN.
- Senior lecturer, Dept of Pediatric Dentistry, Sree Sai Dental College & Research Institute, Srikakulam; A.P.
- Professor & HOD, Dept of Pediatric Dentistry, Mamata Dental College, Khammam; Telangana State.
- Professor, Dept of Pediatric Dentistry, Panineeya Institute Of Dental Sciences, Hyderabad; Telangana State.
- Professor, Dept of Pediatric Dentistry, Mamata Dental College, Khammam; Telangana State.
- Reader, Dept of Pediatric Dentistry, Mamata Dental College, Khammam; Telangana State.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Aim: The aim of the present study was to compare the S ig A levels and dental caries in obese and non obese children. Materials and Methods: Eighty normal healthy children in the age group of eight to twelve were selected and divided into two groups, Obese(Group I, n=40) and Nonobese(Group II, n=40). Each group was further divided into two sub groups as carious (n=20), and non carious (n=20) based on deft/DMFT score. From all the children 2 ml of unstimulated saliva collected and S IgA levels were estimated by using ELISA method. Results: The difference between S Ig A levels and dental caries in obese and non obese was not statistically significant where as intragroup(carious and non carious) S IgA levels were significantly higher in carious free sub group than carious sub group in both groups. Conclusion: Higher levels of S ig A in caries-free mouth can be attributed for protection against dental caries. From the present study,it was concluded that obesity has no effect on S ig A levels.
- Omar OM, Khattab NMA, Rashed LA. Glucosyltransferase B, Immunoglobulin A, and cariesexperience among a group of Egyptian preschool children. J Dent Child 2012;79(2):63-8.
- Lumikari ML, LoimarantaV.Saliva and dental caries. J Dent Res2000;14:40-7.
- Pal S, Mitra M, Mishra J, Saha S, Bhattacharya B.Correlation of total salivary secretory immunoglobulin A (S-IgA) and mutans specific SIgA in children having different caries status. J Indian SocPedod Prevent Dent 2013;31( 4 ):270-4.
- Guare RO, Ciamponi AL, Santos MTBR, Gorjao R, DinizMB.Caries experience and salivary parameters among overweight children and adolescents. J Dent 2013;1:31-40.
- Silva AMR, Menezes AMB, Demarco FF, Ferreira FV, Peres MA.Obesity and dental caries:systematicreview.RevSaudePublica 2013;47(4):799-812.
- Thaweboon S, Thaweboon B, Nakornchai S, JitmaitreeS.Salivary secretory IgA, pH, flow rates, mutansstreptococci and candida in children with rampant caries. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 2008;38(5):893-9.
- Chawada JG, Chaduvula N, Patel HR, Jain SS , LalaAK.SalivarySIgA and dental caries activity.Ind Pediatrics 2011;48:719-22.
- Ranadheer E, Nayak UA, Reddy NV, RaoVAP.The relationship between salivary IgA levels and dental caries in children.J Indian SocPedod Prevent Dent 2011;29(2):106-12.
- Larsson B, Johansson I, Hallmans G, Ericson T.Relationship between dental caries and risk factors for atherosclerosis in Swedish adolescents.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1995;23:205-10.
- Francisco VN, Rodriguez EMV, Gonzalez AHS, Ochoa DL, Perales GMM, Velzquez VMJ. Association between obesity and dental caries in a group of preschool children in mexico. J Public Health Dent 2010;70:124–30.
- Swati T, Kiran K, Kamala B. Relationship between obesity and dental caries in children - A preliminary study. J Int Oral Health 2010; 2 (4):65-72.
- Katie P. Relationship between unstimulated salivary flow rate and saliva composition of healthy children in Taiwan. Chang Gung Med J 2008; 31:281-6.
- Harry W,Schroeder, CavaciniL.Structure and function of immunoglobulins. J Allergy ClinImmunol 2010;125(2):S41-54.
- Willershausen B, Moschos D, Azrak B, Blettner M. Correlation between oral health and body mass index (BMI) in 2071 primary school pupils. Eur J Med Res 2007;12:295 -9.
- Text book of microbiology. 7th Ed,OrientBlackswan publisher 2005,Pg no 37-39.
- Dawes C.Circadian rhythms in the flow rate and composition of unstimulated and stimulated human submandibular saliva. J Physiol 1975:535-48.
- Edgar M, Dawes C, MullaneDO.Saliva and oral health. 4th Ed,StephenHancocks Limited, 2012,Pg no 8-12.
- Fontana M, Fell LEG, Gregory RL. Characterization of preparations enriched for streptococcus mutans fimbriae: Salivary immunoglobulin A antibodies in caries-free and caries-active subjects. ClinDiagn Lab Immunol 1995;2(6):719–25.
- Tuomi T. Pilot study on obesity in caries prediction. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 1989;17:289-91.
- Pinto A, Kim S, Wadenya R, Rosenberg H. Is there an association between weight and dental caries among pediatric patients in an urban dental school? A correlation study. J Dent Edu 2007;71(11):1435–40.
[B. Jagadesh Babu, N. Venugopal Reddy , B. V. Thimma Reddy, V. Daneswari and Niharika Puppala. (2017); COMPARITIVE EVALUATION OF SALIVARY Ig A LEVELS AND DENTAL CARIES IN OBESE AND NON OBESE CHILDREN. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (1). 766-772] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/2812 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/2812
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.