ASSESS THE EFFICIENCY OF MARJORAM ON WEIGHT CONTROL AND BODY COMPOSITION OF MALE AND FEMALE ADULT STUDENTS.
- Clinical Nutrition department, Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences, Umm al Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.
- Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, Umm Al Qurauniversity, Makkah.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Obesity is a global epidemic and consequently many individuals are seeking strategies to reduce their body weight. These strategies may include weight-loss food supplements, including plant food supplements PFS, such as appetite suppressants or those increasing resting metabolism. PFS that claim to contribute to weight loss are marketed worldwide and readily available over the Internet. This increased usage has coincided with a resurgence of interest in nutritional therapy and complementary and alternative medicine. Marjoram is one of the most familiar kitchen herbs. Marjoram is gastrointestinal tract stimulant, tonic, carminative, hypoglycemic and diuretic as well as antibacterial and as antioxidant. Objectives: The present work was designed to study the effects of marjoram on weight reduction in obese and overweight humans. Methodology: The study was conducted on 64 healthy students, female students were from Faculty of Applied Medical Sciences, and male from College of Medicine, Umm Al-Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia.40 students consume marjoram one month. Anthropometric measurements were done before and after marjoram consumption. Statistical analysis was performed using SPSS software version 20. Results: The obtained data showed most of student?s preferred strategy of physical activity and diet to reduce their weight. A significant reduction on body weight after one month of consuming marjoram was observed. Conclusion and Recommendation: The present study suggested that marjoram has effective herb on weight reduction.
- Al-Nozha, M. M.,Al-Mazrou, Y. Y.,?Al-Maatouq, M. A.,?Arafah, M. R.,?Khalil, M.Z.,?Khan, N. B.,?Al-Marzouki, K.,?Abdullah M. A.,?Al-Khadra, A. H.,?Al-Harthi, S. S.,?Al-Shahid, M. S.,?Al-Mobeireek, A.,?andNouh, M. S. (2005).Obesity in Saudi Arabia. Saudi Medical Journal, 26 (5):824-9.
- Memish, Z.,?El?Bcheraoui, C.,?Tuffaha, M., Robinson, M., Daoud, F., Jaber, S., Mikhitarian,?S., Al?Saeedi,?M., AlMazroa,?M., Mokdad, A., and?Al?Rabeeah, A.?(2014). Obesity and Associated Factors -Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, 2013. Preventing Chronic Disease: Public Health Research, Practice, and Policy, volume 11, e174.
- Julia, C., Pe?neau, S., Andreeva, V., Me?jean, C., Fezeu, L., Galan, P., and Hercberg, S. (2014). Weight-Loss Strategies Used by the General Population: How Are They Perceived?.PLoS ONE, 9(5): e97834. Doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0097834
- Kang, J., and Park C. (2012). Anti-Obesity Drugs: A Review about Their Effects and Safety. Diabetes & Metabolism Journal, 36(1): 13?25. Doi: 4093/dmj.2012.36.1.13
- Yoong, S., Carey, M., Sanson-Fisher, R., and D?Este, C. (2012). A cross-sectional study assessing the self-reported weight loss strategies used by adult Australian general practice patients. BioMed Central Family Practice, 13:48. Doi:?10.1186/1471-2296-13-48
- El Bushuty, D., and Shanshan, N. (2012). Effect of Natural Herbs of Marjoram and Ginger on Hypercholesterolemic Rats. Paper presented at the Proceedings of the Annual Conference (seventh Arab ? Fourth International) of Managing Knowledge and intellectual capital in Higher Education institutions in Egypt and Arab World (pp. 1754- 1763). At Faculty of Specific Education, Mansoura University.
- Ahmed, L., Ramadan, R., and Mohamed, R. (2009). Biochemical and Histopathological Studies on the Water Extracts of Marjoram and Chicory Herbs and Their Mixture in Obese Rats. Pakistan Journal of Nutrition, 8 (10): 1581-1587.
- Wahby, M., Yacout, G., Kandeel, K., and Awad, D. (2015). LPS-induced oxidative inflammation and hyperlipidemia in male rats: The protective role of Origanummajorana extract. BENI- SUEF University Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 4: 291?298.
- WHO (World Health Organization). (2016, June). Obesity and overweight. Retrieved at December 23, 2016, from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs311/en/
- Serdula, M.K., Mokdad, A.H., Williamson, D.F., Galuska, D.A., Medlein, J.M., Heath and G.W.(1999). Prevalence of attempting weight loss and methods for controlling weight.? 282:1353?1358. doi: 10.1001/jama.282.14.1353.?[PubMed]?[Cross Ref] Smith CF, Burke LE, Wing RR. Vegetarian and weight-loss diets among young adults.?Obes Res.?2000;8:123?129. doi: 10.1038/oby.2000.13.?[PubMed]?[Cross Ref]
- Tamim, H., Tamim, R., Almawi, W., Rahi, A., Shamseddeen, W., Ghazi, A., Taha, A. and Musharrafieh, U.(2006). Risky weight control among university students.Int J Eat Disord.? 39:80?83. doi: 10.1002/eat.20205.[PubMed]?[Cross Ref]
- Jones, J.M., Bennett, S., Olmsted, M.P., Lawson, M.L. and Rodin, G.(2001). Disordered eating attitudes and behaviours in teenaged girls: a school based study.? 165:547?552.?[PMC free article]?[PubMed]
- Kaneko, K., Kiriike, N., Ikenaga, K., Miyawaki, D., Yamagami, S. (1999). Adolescents in Japan.Psychiatry ClinNeurosci.?1999;53:365?371. doi: 10.1046/j.1440-1819.1999.00559.x.?[PubMed]?[Cross Ref]
- Alonso-Palacio, L.M., P?rez, M.A., Alcal?, G., Lubo-G?lvez, A. and Consuegra, A. (2008).Comportamientos de riesgopara la salud en estudiantescolombianosreci?ningresados a unauniversidadprivada en Barranquilla (Colombia). SaludUninorte 24(2):235?247. Available via SCIELO.http://www.scielo.org.co/scielo.php?pid=S012055522008000200009&script=sci_arttext&tlng=es. Accessed 17 May 2009.
- Lynch, E., Liu, K., Spring, B., Hankinson, A., Wei, G. S. and Greenland, P. (2007).?Association of ethnicity and socioeconomic status with judgments of body size: the coronary artery risk development in young Adults (CARDIA) study,??The American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 165, no. 9, pp. 1055?1062.
- Najat, Y., Hiba, E., Alice, A., Sandra, R. (2011). Dieting practices and body image perception among Lebanese university students.Asia Pac J ClinNutr 2011;20 (1):21-28.
- Malinauskas, B.M., Raedeke, T.D., Aeby, V.G., Smith, J,L. and Dallas, M.B.(2006).Dieting practices, weight perceptions, and body composition: a comparison of normal weight, overweight, and obese college females. Nutr J. 5:11.
- King, K., Mohl, K., Bernard, A., Vidourek, R.(2007). Does involvement in healthy eating among university students differ based on exercise status and reasons for exercise? Calif J Health Promot. 5:106-19.
- Mamtani, R., Cheema, S., MacRae, B., Alrouh, , Lopez, T. ElHajj, M. and Mahfoud, Z. (2005). Herbal and nutritional supplement use among college students in Qatar Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal EMHJ ? Vol.? 21 No. 1.p 40-43
- Abdulaziz,?A.,?Abdulaziz,?A.?,?Faisal,?A.?,? Abdulrahman,?A.?,?Osama,?B.,?Fahd,?A.,?Ahmed,?A. and?Layan,?A?.(2016). Herbal Medicine among Saudis: Awareness, Uses, Reasons and Common Herbs. International Academic Research Journal of Medical Sciences Vol. No.1, Issue No 2, February 2016, Page no.13-19.
- Lobna, A., Shelbaya, H. F., El Mehairy and A.R.M. El-Zainy (2014). Antioxidant Activities of Marjoram (Origanummajoranum L.)Added to Frozen Beef Kofta and its Therapeutic Effect Against Kidney Damage in Rats. World Applied Sciences Journal 31 (8): 1406-1414.
- Soltan, S.S.A. and Abdel Wahab, H.M. (2006). Effects of some herbs and spices on hypercholesterolemic rats. Bulletin of Faculty of Agric. Cairo Univ., 57(3): 429-447.
- Amarowicz, R., Z. Zegarska, R. Rafalowski, R.B. Pegg, M. Karamac and A. Kosin?ska, (2008). Antioxidant activity and free radical-scavenging capacity of ethanolic extracts of thyme, oregano and marjoram. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol., pp:110.
- Rang, H.P. and Dale, M.M. (1991). 2nd? Ed. Edinburg, Churchill Livingstone.
- Negm, D.R., (2002). Effect of some common herbs on weight reduction in obese rats. M.Sc. Thesis, Faculty of Home Economics, Minufiya University, Egypt.
- Lamiaa, A. A., Reham, S. R., Reham, A. M. (2009). Biochemical and histopathological studies on the water extracts of marjoram and chicory herbs and their mixture in obese rats. Pakistan Journal of Nutritio 8 (10): 1581-1587.
[Doaa R. Negm, Abeer A. Sonbul, Elham A. Bantan, Hasan S. Bukhari, Shahd M. Basalamah, Abdulrahman M. Basfar and Marah S. Mandourah. (2017); ASSESS THE EFFICIENCY OF MARJORAM ON WEIGHT CONTROL AND BODY COMPOSITION OF MALE AND FEMALE ADULT STUDENTS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (Mar). 1898-1906] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/3708
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/3708
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.