- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
This study was performedto investigate antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of Menthaarvensisethanol extracts, whichwere extracted depending on ethanol concentrations. Yield of total extractshowed the highest level with 17.3% in the30% ethanol extract. Total polyphenolic contentsin the50% and 70% ethanol extracts wasdetected by relatively more amounts when compared withthose of theother extracts, whereas total flavonoid in 100% ethanol extract was showed by the most content. As a result consistent with the total polyphenol and flavonoid contents, the highest activities fromDPPH, ABTS and FRAP assayswere detectedinthe 70%, 100%, and 50% ethanol extracts, respectively. Antimicrobial activities against Clostridium perfringens and Escherichia coli were strongly detected fromthe 70% and 100% ethanol extracts. Therefore, we suggest thattotal polyphenol and flavonoid contents from the M. arvensis ethanol extracts are directly associated with antioxidant and antibacterial activities.
- Barry, A.L. 1976. In The antimicrobic susceptibility test: principles and practices. Philadelphia: Lea &Febiger. 92-104.
- Benzie, I.F. and Strain, J.J. 1996. The ferric reducing ability of plasma (FRAP) as a measure of "antioxidant power": the FRAP assay. ABiochem. 239, 70-76.
- Brand-Williams, W., Cuvelier, M.E. and Berset, C. 1995. Use of a free radical method to evaluate antioxidant activity. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 28, 25-30.
- Chang, C.C., Yang, M.H., Wen, H.M. and Chern,C. 2002. Estimation of Total Flavonoid Content in Propolis by Two Complementary Colorimetric Methods. J. Food Drug Anal. 10, 178-182.
- Chaudhari, P., Ye, Z. and Jang, Y.Y. 2014. Roles of reactive oxygen species in the fate of stem cells.Antioxid. Redox Signal.20,1881-1890.
- Chen, C.T., Hsu, S.H. and Wei,H. 2010. Upregulation of mitochondrial function and antioxidant defense in the differentiation of stem cells.Biochim. Biophys. Acta. 1800,257-263.
- Chung, S.Y., Kim, N.K. and Yoon, 1999. Nitrite scavenging effect of methanol fraction obtained from green yellow vegetable juices. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 28, 342-347.
- Fidrianny, I., Rahmiyani, I. and Wirasutisna, K. 2013. Antioxidant activities from various leaves extracts of four varieties mangoes using DPPH, ABTS assays and correlation with total phenolic, flavonoid, carotenoid. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 5, 189-194.
- Gardner, P.T., White, T.A.C., McPhail, D.B. and Duthie, G.G. 2000. Therelative contributions of vitamin C, carotenoids and phenolics to theantioxidant potential of fruit juices. Food Chemistry. 68, 471?474.
- Gil, M.I., Tomas-Barberan, F.A., Hess-Pierce, B. and Kader,A., 2002.Antioxidant capacities, phenolic compounds, carotenoids, and vitaminC contents of nectarine, peach, and plum cultivars from California.Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 50, 4976?4982.
- Jung, E.S. and Lee,S. 2004. Effect of aroma oil inhalation on nausea vomiting and anorexia in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. J. Kor. Acad. Adult Nurs. 16, 135-145.
- Kim, K.R. 2006. Clinical observation of aromatheraphy on the headache patients. Thesis for the degree of master. Chosun Univ. Korea.
- Lao, Y., Wang, X., Xu, N., Zhang, H. and Xu, 2014. Application of proteomics to determine the mechanism of action of traditional Chinese medicine remedies. J. Ethnopharmacol. 155, 1-8.
- Lee, B.W., Lee, J.H., Gal, S.W., Moon, Y.H.and Park, K.H. 2006. Selective ABTS radical-scavenging activity of prenylated flavonoids from Cudraniatricuspidata.Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 70, 427-432.
- Lee, S.E., Park, C.G., Cha, M.S., Kim, J.K., Seong, N.S., Bang, K.H. and Bang, J.K. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils from Menthaarvensis L. var. piperascensMalivaud and Agastacherugosa O. Kuntze on Escherichia coli and Salmonella typhimurium.Korean J. Medicinal Crop Sci. 10, 206-211.
- Lim, C., Park, S., Sun, S. and Lee, K. 2014. Research on Korean Pharmacopuncture in South Korea since 2007. J. Pharmacopuncture. 17, 15-21.
- Lim, H.S., Kim, J.H., Ha, H., Seo, C.S. and Shin, H.K. 2012. Comparative study of the anti-inflammatory effects of Menthaeherba from korea and China. Kor. J. Pharmacogn. 43, 231-238.
- Macheix, J.J., Fleuriet, A. and Billot, J. 1990. Fruit Phenolics. CRC Press,Boca Raton, FL.
- Micklefield, G., Jung, O., Greving, I. and May, B. 2003. Effects of intraduodenal application of peppermint oil (WS 1340) and caraway oil (WS 1520) on gastroduodenal motility in healthy volunteers. Phytotherapy Res. 17, 135-140.
- Mussatto,I. 2014. Brewer's spent grain: a valuable feedstock for industrial applications.J. Sci. Food Agric. 94,1264-1275.
- Peschel, W., Sanchez-Rabaneda, F., Diekmann, W., Plescher, A., Gart-zia, l., Jimenez, D. M., Lamuela-Raventos, R., Buxaderas, and Codina, C. 2006. An industrial approach in the search of natural antioxidants from vegetable and fruit wastes. Food Chem. 97, 137-150.
- Plastow, N.A., Atwal, A. and Gilhooly, M. 2014. Food activities and identity maintenance in old age: a systematic review and meta-synthesis.Aging Ment. Health. 6, 1-12.
- Qin, K.M., Wang, B., Chen, L.W., Zhang, M.S., Yang, G.M., Shu, Y.C. and Cai, B.C. 2014. [Perspective and application of metabonomics in modern study of traditional Chinese medicine]. ZhongguoZhong Yao ZaZhi. 39, 3010-3017.
- Re, R., Pellegrin, V., Proteggente, A.R., Pannala, A., Yang, M. and Catherine, R.E. 1999. Antioxidant activities applying an approved ABTS radical caution decolorization assay. Free radical Biology & Medicine. 26, 1231-1237.
- Sandasi, M., Leonard, C.M., Van Vuuren, S.F. and Viljoen, A.M. 2011. Peppermint (Menthapiperita) inhibits microbial biofilms in vitro. South African Journal of Botany. 77, 80-85.
- Sharma, T.K., Ramanathan, R., Rakwa, l.R., Agrawal, G.K. and Bansal, V. 2015. Moving forward in plant food safety and security through NanoBioSensors: Adopt or adapt biomedical technologies?Proteomics. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201400503. Epub ahead of print.
- Shin, T.Y. and Kim, D.K. 1998. Antiallergic activity of Menthaeherba. Kor. J. Pharmacog. 29, 248-253.
- Shin, K.E. and Park,K. 1994. Changes of essential oils from Menthapiperita L. influenced by various cultivation conditions and harvesting time. J. Kor. Food Sci. Technol. 26, 512-519.
- Webb, C, Koutinas, W.R. and Wang, R.2004. Developing a sustainable bioprocessing strategy based on a generic feedstock.Adv. Biochem. Eng. Biotechnol.87,195-268.
- Windholz, M. 1983. The merck index. 10th. New Jewrsey: Merck & Co. Inc.
- Woo, J.H. 2010. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities from functional components of major commercial herb essential oil products in korea and foreign countries. Thesis for the degree of doctor of philosophy. Korea Univ. Korea.
- Woo, J.H., Lee, S.Y., Kim, J.H. and Park, K.W. 2013. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of peppermint oil products. J. Korean Soc. People Plants Environ. 16, 361-367.
- Wu, W.Y., Hou, J.J., Long, H.L., Yang, W.Z., Liang, J. and Guo, D.A. 2014. TCM-based new drug discovery and development in China. Chin. J. Nat. Med. 12, 241-250.
- Yoon, J.H., Song, W.S., Kim, E. and Park, J.S. 2005. Effect of plant growth regulators on antioxidant activity of peppermint. J. Kor. Res. Plant. 18, 187.
[Sam Woong Kim and Il-Suk Kim. (2017); ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTIBACTERIAL ACTIVITIES OF MENTHA ARVENSIS EXTRACT SDEPENDING ON ETHANOL CONCENTRATION. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (May). 653-660] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/4160
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/4160
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.