- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
A more versatile and relatively cheap method of bonding virtually all materials together is by the use of adhesives. Among all the means of fastening, adhesive is the most suitable method because no damage is done to the adherends (as in nailing) and stress is more uniformly distributed. In this research work, various adhesives were produced from cassava which is a locally available natural raw material. The cassava starch was chemically modified to obtain oxidized, hydrolyzed and dexrinized from which the various adhesives were produced by incorporating other chemicals such as plasticizers and tackifiers. Generally, these adhesives were found have good bonding strength on wood, cardboard, paper and leather materials. However, adhesives produced from hydrolyzed and oxidized starch showed exceptionally good adhesive properties.
- F. Mark, (1964) Norman.G.Encyclopedia of polymer Science and Technology volume1, p.482.
- Flick, Ernest W. (1989), Handbook of Adhesive Raw Materials, 2nd ed., William Andrew Pub, Norwich, NY
- Sina Ebenesajjad (2008) Adhesive Technology Handbook 2nd edition ,p 1
- Rev Gaucha Odontol., (2014)Porto Alegre, 62, n.1, p. 65-70,
- Honhwei Yu, Yoan Cao, Qun Fang and Zhikun Liu (2015)Effects of treatment temperature on properties of starch based adhesives, Bio resources10 (2) pp.3520-3530
- antom-paarcom retrieved on 31/03/2017
- L?cia Helena Garrido, Egon Schnitzler, Manoela Estef?nea Boff Zort?a, Tha?s deSouza Rocha, and Ivo Mottin Demiate (2014) Physicochemical properties of cassava starch oxidized by sodium hypochlorite. J Food Sci Technol. 51(10): 2640?2647
- Nutrients Reviews .com retrieved on 02/05/2017
- Sameh A. Korma, Kamal-Alahmad, Sobia Niazi,Al-Farga Ammar, Farah Zaaboul, Tao Zhang, (2016) Chemically Modified Starch and Utilization in Food Stuffs International Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences Volume 5, Issue 4, Pages: 264-272.
- Kuakpetoon D1,?Wang YJ. (2006) Structural characteristics and physicochemical properties of oxidized corn starches varying in amylose content Carbohydr Res. 14; 341(11):1896-915.
[Opara I. J, Ossi C. D and OkoUdu C. O (2017); FORMULATION OF CASSAVA STARCH-BASED ADHESIVE. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (7). 26-33] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Federal University Wukari
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/4689 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/4689
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.