ASSESSMENT OF TOTAL PROTEIN, ALBUMIN, TRIGLYCERIDE AND TOTAL CHOLESTEROL AMONG SUDANESE PATIENTS WITH TUBERCULOSIS IN KHARTOUM STATE.
- Al- Neelain University. Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences, Department of Clinical chemistry.
- Sudan University of science and Technology,. Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences, Head Department Of Clinical chemistry.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Tuberculosis or TB is a common and often deadly infectious disease caused by various strains of mycobacterium; usually Mycobacterium tuberculosis in humans. Objectives: The aim of this study to evaluate the level of serum albumin, total proteins, cholesterol and triglyceride among Sudanese patients with Tuberculosis. Methods: Cross sectional study was conducted during the period from March to May 2017, eighty samples from known patients with TB as case and forty samples from healthy person as control. The level of total proteins, albumin, cholesterol and TG was measured using Mindray BS-120; Data were collected using structural questionnaire. Data analysis was carried out by means of statistical package for social science (SPSS version 16). Results: The mean levels of total proteins, albumin, cholesterol and triglyceride showed significant decreased in tuberculosis patients when compared with healthy individuals with (P. value = 0.000, 0.000, 0.015 and 0.000) respectively. There were insignificant different in the levels of total proteins, albumin, cholesterol and TG in tuberculosis patients according to gender. The result of this study showed that, there was significantly decreased in BMI in patients with tuberculoses compared to control group (p- value =0.000). There were negative correlation between the levels of serum total proteins, albumin, total cholesterol , triglyceride and ages.(r=-0.356, p, value=0.001) (r=-0.273,p, value=0.014)(r= -0.296,p , value=0.008)(r=-0.223, p , value=0.047) respectively. Conclusion: The levels of total proteins, albumin, cholesterol and triglyceride were significantly decreased in Tuberculosis patients.
- Kumar, V., Abbas, A. K., Richard, N. Robbins Basic Pathology (8th ed.). Saunders Elsevier. 2007: 516?522.
- Konstantinos, A. ?Testing for tuberculosis?. Australian Prescriber. 2010; 33:12-18.
- Danburam, A. Pulmonary tuberculosis in Nigeria. Journal of Infectious Diseases and Immunity.2012;4(2):16-19.
- Modawe,G .Biochemical parameters in tuberculosis in Sudanese Patients .Sudan JMS.2014;3(9):177-180.
- Sinclair, D., Abba, K., Grobler, L., Sudarsanam, T.D. Nutritional supplements for people being treated for active tuberculosis.?Cochrane Database Syst. Rev.?2011;11: 58.
- Cegielski, J.P., McMurray, D.N. The relationship between malnutrition and tuberculosis: evidence from studies in humans and experimental animals. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 2004; 8:286?298.
- Onwubalili, J.K. Malnutrition among tuberculosis patients in Harrow, England. Eur J Clin Nutr 1988; 42: 363-6.
- Vissers, M.E., Texeira, S.C, Maartens, G. The short term effects of anti-tuberculosis therapy on plasma pyridoxine levels in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis. Int J Tuberk Lung Dis 2004; 8(2): 260-2.
- Sasaki, Y., Yamagishi, F., Yasi, T., Mizutani, F. A. Case of pulmonary tuberculosis case with pancytopenia accompanied to bone marrow gelatinous transformation. Kekkaku.1999; 74 (4):361-4.
- Yamanaka, K., Sakai, S., Nomura, F., Akashi, T., Usui, T. A nutritional investigation of homeless patients with tuberculosis. Kekkaku.2001; 76 (4): 363-370.
- Van Lettow, M., Harries, A.D., Kumwenda, J.J. Micronutrient malnutrition and wasting in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis with and without HIV co-infection in Malawi.BMC Infect Dis. 2004; 4:61.
- Laxmilkant,C.,Saket Kumar,M.,Raju,M.J. Study of Correlation of Serum Protein Levels with Tuberculosis. International Journal of Recent Trends in Science and Technology. 2016 ; 20 (2):248-251.
- Harries, A.D., Nkhoma, W.A., Thompson. P.J., Nyangulu, D.S., Wirima, J.J. Nutritional status in Malawian patients with pulmonary tuberculosis and response to Eur J Clin Nutr 1988; 42:445?450.
- Balley,L., Fawzi, W ., Semba,R. The role of malnutrition in tuberculosis and Human Immunodeficiency.2003 ;61(3): 163-171.
- Jemikalajah,, J.D., Okogun, G.R.A., Adu, M.E., Okolie, G.C. EVALUATION OF SERUM PROTEINS IN PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS African Journal of Cellular Pathology.2014; 3: 20-24. Hopwell,P., Farer,L ., Bass,J. Treatment of tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection in adults and children. American Thorocic Society and the Centers for Disease. 1994; 149:1359-1374.
[Shima Ahmed Hussein Ali and Nuha Eljaili Abubaker. (2017); ASSESSMENT OF TOTAL PROTEIN, ALBUMIN, TRIGLYCERIDE AND TOTAL CHOLESTEROL AMONG SUDANESE PATIENTS WITH TUBERCULOSIS IN KHARTOUM STATE. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 1-6] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
2. Sudan University of science and Technology,. Faculty of Medical Laboratory Sciences, Head Department Of Clinical chemistry.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5292 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5292
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.