- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
MAOA-uVNTR polymorphism is thought to be associated with childhood sexual and physical abuse and impulsivity in men. This polymorphism has been shown to be associated with low CSF 5-HIAA levels, bipolar disorder, major depression, alcoholism, impulsivity, and anti-social personality traits. In the studies conducted in the following years, the gene called monoaminoxidase (MAOA), which is widely known as a crime, is less secreted than necessary, and when maltreatment in childhood is combined, people with this gene show aggressive behavior at an older age. Furthermore, after detecting the presence of this gene in people who have antisocial characteristics at an early age, these persons can be rehabilitated at appropriate centers and preventive activities can be carried out for community rest.
- Appelbaum, P. S. (2005). Law & psychiatry: Behavioral genetics and the punishment of crime.?Psychiatric Services,?56(1), 25-27.
- Baum, M. L. (2013). The monoamine oxidase A (MAOA) genetic predisposition to impulsive violence: Is it relevant to criminal trials?.?Neuroethics,?6(2), 287-306.
- Bernet, W., Vnencak‐Jones, C. L., Farahany, N., & Montgomery, S. A. (2007). Bad nature, bad nurture, and testimony regarding MAOA and SLC6A4 genotyping at murder trials.Journal of forensic sciences,?52(6), 1362-1371.
- Brunner, H. G., Nelen, M., Breakefield, X., Ropers, H., & Van Oost, B. (1993). Abnormal behavior associated with a point mutation in the structural gene for monoamine oxidase a. Science-New York Then Washington, 262, 578?578.
- Byrd, A. L., &Manuck, S. B. (2014). Maoa, childhood maltreatment, and antisocial behavior: Meta-analysis of a gene-environment interaction. Biological Psychiatry, 75(1), 9?17.
- Caspi A.,?McClay J.,?Moffitt T.,?Mill J.,?Martin J.,?Craig I.W., et al. (2002).?Role of genotype in the cycle of violence in maltreated children. Science, 297,?851?854.
- Court, C. (2011). In the court of criminal appeals of tennessee at knoxville.http://tncourts.gov/sites/default/files/waldroupremandopn.pdf. ((Accessed on 12/10/2016)).
- Farahany, N. (2009). The impact of behavioral sciences on criminal law. Oxford University Press.
- Feresin, E., Hand, E., Kaplan, M., Sanderson, K., &Brumfiel, G. (2009). News lighter sentence for murderer with?bad genes?. Nature, 461, 1171.
- Forzano, F., P. Borry, A. Cambon-Thomsen, S.V. Hodgson, A. Tibben, P. De Vries, C. Van El, and M. Cornel. 2010. Italian appeal court: A genetic predisposition to commit murder.?European Journal of Human Genetics18(5): 519?521.
- Gelişin, A. (2015). Birsu?psikoloğunun not defteri. Ankara: HerdemKitap.
- Goleman, D. (2002). ?eviren: Y?ksel, B.S. İstanbul: VarlıkYayınları.
- Lombroso C. (1911). Crime: Its causes and remedies. Boston: Little, Brown
- Thomas, M.E. (2013). Birsosyapatınitirafları. ?eviren: Duru, E. İstanbul: Say Yayınları.
- Wasserman D., (2004). Is there value in identifying individual genetic predispositions to violence? Journal of Law, Medicine, and Ethics, 33, 24-32.
- Weiss, S.F., (2006). Human genetics and politics as mutually beneficial resources: The case of the kaiserwilhelm institute for anthropology, human heredity and eugenics during the third reich.?Journal of the History of Biology39(1): 41?88.
- Wikin HA, Mednick SA, Schulsinger F, et al., (1977). Criminality, aggression, and intelligence among XYY and XXY men, in biosocial bases of criminal behavior. Edited by Mednick SA, Christiansen KO. New York: Gardner Press.
- Yirmiya N. Pilowsky T. Tidhar S, Nemanov L, Altmark L, Ebstein RP (2002). Family-based and population study of functional promoter-region MAO-A polymorphism in autism: Possible association with IQ. Am J Med Ge Neuropsychiatric Genetics, 114, 284-287.
[Seda Ugras, Ceyda Ergil and Emel Hulya Yukseloglu. (2017); GENETIC TENDENCY AND PENALTY APPLICATIONS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 34-37] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
University of ?stanbul
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5297 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5297
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.