EMPIRICAL APPROACH TO VALIDATE HEURISTIC ALGORITHMS FOR PROCEDURAL PROGRAMMING TO OBJECT ORIENTED DESIGN MIGRATION.
- Department of Computer Science Engineering, University of Barisal.
- Institute of Information Technology, University of Dhaka.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Although Object Oriented Programming is rapidly used in software industry, a wide variety of software is still used in the existing market developed in Procedural Programming languages. Sometimes, the maintenance of large software which developed in procedural languages become high costly and time consuming. To reduce this maintenance cost and make them more usable, some industries intend to transform that software from Procedural to Object Oriented Paradigm. On this purpose, researches have been focusing on automatic design migration approaches. Selecting a suitable and optimal method from the available is difficult because those approaches are not studied for any similar dataset. In this research, an empirical experiment has been conducted for identifying the optimal one among Genetic Algorithm, Local Search, Variable Neighborhood Search and Build Cluster Hierarchy algorithms. Six case studies from different real life software varying from 500 to 3700 LOCs are presented for experimental results verification. Final results are compared by a well known matrix named Jaccard Similarity Coefficient. Case studies show that Genetic Algorithm based approach outperforms other algorithms.
- Schildt, Java 2: The complete reference. McGraw-Hill Professional, 2000.
- Chisolm and J. Lisonbee, ?The use of computer language compilers in legacy code migration,\" in AUTOTESTCON\'99. Systems Readiness Technology Conference. pp. 137-145, 1999. IEEE
- Zou, Ying, and Kostas Kontogiannis. \"A framework for migrating procedural code to object-oriented platforms.\" Eighth Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, 390-399, 2001, IEEE
- Siddik, A. U. Gias, and S. M. Khaled, ?Optimizing software design migration from structured programming to object oriented paradigm,\" in Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, pp. 1-6, , December 2013. IEEE
- Selim, S. Siddik, A. U. Gias, M. Abdullah-Al-Wadud, and S. M. Khaled, ?A genetic algorithm for software design migration from structured to object oriented paradigm,\" 8th International Conference on Computer Engineering and Applications, Spain. pp187?192. Jul 23, 2014,
- Siddik, A. U. Gias, M. Selim, S. M. Khaled, K. Sakib, ?A direction of migrating procedural paradigm to object based architecture by forming cluster of functions using local search heuristics,\" in Informatics, Electronics & Vision (ICIEV), 2014 International Conference on, pp. 1-6, , 2014. IEEE
- Selim, S. Siddik, A. U. Gias, R. Tajkia, and S. M. Khaled, ?Approximating object based architecture for legacy software written in procedural languages using variable neighborhood search,\" in SKIMA, 2014, IEEE.
- M. Islam, ?Paradigm migration from structured to object oriented by clustering data call graph,\" in MS Thesis, Institute of Information Technology, University of Dhaka, 2014.
- E. Sward and T. C. Hartrum, ?Extracting objects from legacy impera-tive code,\" in 2011 26th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE 2011), pp. 98-98, IEEE Computer Society
- Maqbool and H. A. Babri, ?Hierarchical clustering for software architecture recovery,\" IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 759-780, 2007.
- M. Sneed and E. Nyary, ?Extracting object-oriented specification from procedurally oriented programs,\" in, Proceedings of 2nd Working Conference on Reverse Engineering, pp. 217-226, 1995 IEEE,.
- Cimitile, A. De Lucia, G. Antonio Di Lucca, and A. Rita Fasolino, ?Identifying objects in legacy systems using design metrics,\" Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 199-211, 1999.
- D. V. Dineshkumar, ?Code to design migration from structured to object oriented paradigm,\" in International Journal of Information and Communication Technology Research, vol. 1, 2011.
- Pidaparthi and G. Cysewski, ?Case study in migration to object-oriented system structure using design transformation methods,\" First Euromicro Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering., pp. 128-135,1997. IEEE
[Md. Samsuddoha, Md. Saeed Siddik, Md. Selim and Shah Mostafa Khaled. (2017); EMPIRICAL APPROACH TO VALIDATE HEURISTIC ALGORITHMS FOR PROCEDURAL PROGRAMMING TO OBJECT ORIENTED DESIGN MIGRATION. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (9). 38-45] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5298 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5298
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.