- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The wound healing effects of ethanolic extracts of leaves and fruits of Morinda tinctoria as well as of the minor polyphenolic constituents iridoid, Oleuropein against the incision and excision wounds on Wistar albino rats was examined and elaborated in this study. The dried fruits and leaves of Morinda tinctoria were extracted with ethanol, dried in vacuum, grinded to form a powder and used in experiment (MTFE and MTLE). In vivo experiments were designed in six groups of Wistar albino rats consisting of group I (control), group II (treated with 15 % of MTFE), group III (treated with 30 % MTFE), group IV ( treated with 1.5 % pure iridoid, Oleuropein), group V (treated with 3 % pure iridoid, Oleuropein) and group VI (treated with standard drug, Soframycin) for 0-15 days. The present study is the first report to quantify oleuropein, not only in leaves, but also in fruits. It was observed that the occurrence of oleuropein is much higher in MTFE (0.81%) compared to MTLE (0.12%). Quick and effective incision and excision wound healing was observed in group III treated with 30% MTFE than with respect to any other groups. Analyses were done on tensile strength of skin, granuloma weight, platelet derived growth factor (PDGF), Tumour necrosis factor (TNF) alpha, hydroxyproline, hexosamine in granulated tissue, enzymes such as LPO, GSH, SOD, CAT, GPX, serum ascorbic acid levels and nucleic acid contents. This result demonstrates that oleuropein alone is not effective and the components present in MTFE together with oleuropein might have exhibited synergistic action in wound healing.
- Pal, DC. and Jain, SK. (1998): Tribal Medicine. Naya Prokash, Kolkata, India.
- Nadkarni, AK. (1998): Indian Meteria Medica, Popular Prakashan,138-39.
- Mathivanan, N. and Surendiran, G. (2006): Chemical properties and biological activities of Morinda spp. Proceedings of First National Symposium on Noni Research, October 7-8, 1-21.
- Jayasinghe, ULB., Jayasooriya, CP., Bandara, BMR., Ekanayake, SP., Merlini, L. and assante, G. (2002): Antimicrobial activity of some Srilankan Rubiaceae and Meliaceae. Fitoterapia; 73: 424-427.
- Kumarasan TP. and Saravanan A. (2009): Anticonvulsant activity of Morinda tinctoria? African Journal of Pharmacy Pharmacology; 3: 63- 65.
- Deepti, K., Umadevi, P., Vijayalakshmi, G., Polarao, BV. (2012): Antimicrobial Activity and Phytochemical Analysis of Morinda tinctoria Leaf Extracts. Asian Pacific journal of tropical Biomedicine; S1440-1442.
- Kolli, D., Amperayani, KR. and Parimi, U, (2015): Total Phenolic content and antioxidant activity of morinda tinctoria leaves Indian Journal Pharmaceutical Sciences.;77 : 226-230.
- Rao, CM., George, KM., Bairy KL and Somayaji SN. (2000): An apprantial of the healing profiles of oral and external (gel) Metronidazole on partial thickness burn wounds, Indian Journal of Pharmacology., 32: 282.
- Saha, K., Mukherjee, PK., Das, J., Pal, M. and Saha, BP. (1997): Wound healing activity of Leucas lavandulaefolia Journal of Ethnopharmacology., 56:139-144.
- Lee, KH. (1968): Studies on the mechanism of action of salicylates III. Effect of vitamin A on wound healing retardation of aspirin. Journal of Pharmacological Sciences., 57: 1238-40.
- Woessner JF Jr. (1961): The determination of hydroxyproline in tissue and protein samples containing small proportions of this imino acid. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics., 93:440-7.
- Wagner, WD. (1979): A More sensitive assay discriminating galactosamine and glucosamine in mixtures. Analytical Biochemistry., 94:394-6.
- Giles, K. and Myers, A. (1965): An improved diphenylamine method for the estimation of deoxyribonucleic acid. Nature; 206, 93.
- Yoichi, Endo. (1970): A Simultaneous estimation method of DNA and RNA by the orcinol reaction and a study on the reaction mechanism. Journal of Biochemistry., 67(5): 629-633.
- Kadowaki, E., Yoshida, Y., Baba, N., Nakajima, S. (2003): Feeding Stimulative Activity of Steroidal and Secoiridoid Glucosides and their Hydrolysed Derivatives towards the olive Weevil (Dyscerus perforatus). Verlag der Zeitschrift tur Naturforschung., 58c: 441-445.
- Arunachalam, KD., Kuruva, JK., Hari, S., Annamalai, SK. and Baskaran KV. (2015): HPTLC Finger print analysis and Phytochemical Investigation of Morinda tinctoria Leaf extracts by HPLC and GS MS. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences., 7: 360-366.
- Sait, II., Harindran, J., Vahab, A., Jeena, JL., Nasli, S. and John, J. (2014): Potential hepatoprotective effect and anti oxidant role of methanol extract of Morinda tinctoria in carbon tetra chloride induced hepatotoxicity in Albino rats, International Journal of Pharmaceutics., 4:363-368
- Swamy, HMK., Krishna, V., Shankamurthy, K., Rahiman, BA., Mankani, KL., Mahadevan, KM., Harish, BG. and Naika, HR. (2006): Wound healing activity of embelin isolated from the ethanol extract of leaves of Embelia ribes Journal of Ethnopharmacology., 109: 529-534.
- Stadelmann, WK., Digenis, AG. And Tobin, GR. (1998): Physiology and healing dynamics of chronic cutaneous wounds. The American Journal of Surgery., 176: 2A Suppl: 26S-38S.
- Udupa, AL., Kulkarni, DR. and Udupa, SL. (1995): Effect ofTridax procumbens?extracts on wound healing. ?International Journal of Pharmacognosy., 33: 37?40.
- Moyer, KE., Saggers, GC., Allison, GM., Mackay, DR. and Ehrlich, HP. (2002): Effects of interleukin-8 on granulation tissue maturation. Journal of Cellular Physiology., 193: 173?179.
- Pierce, GF., Mustoe, TA., Altrock, BW., Deuel, TF., Thomason, A.(1991): Role of Platelet derived growth factor in wound healing. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry.,45:319-326.
- Rapala, K. The effect of tumor necrosis factor-alpha on wound healing. (1996): An experimental study. Annales chirurgiae et gynaecologiae Supplementum., 211: 1-53.
- Hayouni, EA., Miled, K., Boubaker, S., Bellasfar, Z., Abedrabba, M., Iwaski, H., Oku H, Matsui, T., Limam, F., and Hamdi, M. (2011): Hydroalcoholic extract based-ointment from Punica granatum peels with enhanced in vivo healing potential on dermal wounds.Phytomedicine.,18:976?984.
- Chigurupati, S.,Mughal, MR., Okun, E., Das, S., Kumar, A., McCaffery, M., Seal, S. and Mattson, MP. (2013): Effects of cerium oxide nanoparticles on the growth of keratinocytes, fibroblasts and vascular endothelial cells in cutaneous wound healing.?,34: 2194?2201.
- Gon?alves, RV., Novaes, RD., Sarandy, MM., Damasceno. EM., Matta, SLP., de Gouveia, NM., Freitas, MB. and Espindola FS.(2016): 5α-Dihydrotestosterone enhances wound healing in diabetic rats.Life Sciences.,152; 67?75.
- Pratibha, R.,Sameer, R.,?Rataboli, PV.,?Bhiwgade, DA. and Dhume, CY. (2016): Enzymatic studies of cisplatin induced oxidative stress in hepatic tissue of rats.?The European Journal of Pharmacology.,532: 290?293.
- Segu?, J., Gironella, M., Sans, M., Granell, S., Gil, F., Gimeno, M., Coronel, P., Piqu?, JM. and Pan?s J.(2004): Superoxide dismutase ameliorates TNBS-induced colitis by reducing oxidative stress, adhesion molecule expression, and leukocyte recruitment into the inflamed intestine.Journal of Leukocyte Biology.,76:537?44.
- Gorman, CM., Moffat, LF. and Howard BH.(1982): Recombinant genomes which express chloramphenicol acetyltransferase in mammalian cells. Molecular and cellular? , 2?: 1044?1051.
- Ran, Q., Liang, H., Ikeno, Y., Qi, W., Prolla, TA., Roberts, LJ., Wolf, N., Van Remmen, H. and Richardson, A.(2007): Reduction in glutathione peroxidase 4 increases life span through increased sensitivity to apoptosis.The Journals of Gerontology. Series A, Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences., 62: 932?42.
[ A. Muhamad Ibrahim, *A. Nagarajan and Muhammed Majeed. (2017); EVALUATION OF IN VIVO WOUND HEALING ACTIVITY OF THE EXTRACT AND OLEUROPEIN FROM MORINDA TINCTORIA ROXB. (RUBIACEAE)- A TRADITIONAL MEDICINAL PLANT. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (Sep). 889-905] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Vice President R&D and Research guide, University of Mysore, Sami labs Ltd, Bangalore
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/5403
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/5403
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.