- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The harmful use of alcohol is a component cause of more than 200 disease and injury conditions in individuals, most notably alcohol dependence, liver cirrhosis and injuries in the world. The present study aimed to determine the factors which contribute to the dependence on illicit alcohol among the residents of Shitochi sub-location in Kenya. It further intended to establish the association between socio-economic, cultural and psychological factors on dependence of illicit alcohol consumption in the region. A total of 385 participants between the ages of 15-50 were sampled through a stratified random sampling technique and data was collected through questionnaires. Multinomial logistic regression was used as the statistical model in this study. Of all 385 participants, 341(89%) were men and majority were above 40 years of age.61 (17%) participants admitted that they had increased their alcohol intake in the past year and 146 (43%) stated that their frequency of utilization had decreased.219 (57%) of the participants had no intention of quitting to drink illicit brew. There was a strong association (P= 0.011) between affordability, availability and accessibility and dependence of illicit alcohol in the region. Occupation also had a strong association (P= 0.027) with the dependence of illicit alcohol in the region. Most socio-economic factors were clearly linked to the dependence on illicit brew in the region. It is therefore important for the government to educate the people on the negative impacts of illicit alcohol to their health and general well-being and emphasize that abstinence is the best way to control dependency of illicit brew.
- Alex Crawford, 2013. Women Drinking to Harm Babies. Sky News January 8th
- (2012). Botulism from drinking prison-made illicit alcohol?Utah. MMWR. 61:782?4.
- Ronald Simpson and Adrian Botha, 2009. .Illicit and Non-Commercial Alcohol-What Can We Do? International Centre for Alcohol Policies (ICAP).
- Guillermo Cantor, 2018.Understanding Illicit Alcohol. Brown-Forman Corporation.
- Jean Pierre Bucyensenge, 2013. Why Illicit Trade is flourishing. Kigali.
- Jerry Okungu, May 23, 2010. Why is Illicit Brew Killing So Many Kenyans and Ugandans? Nairobi, Kenya
- Joel Swendsen, PhD; Marcy Burstein, PhD; Brady Case, MD; et al,2012,Use and Abuse of Alcohol and Illicit Drugs in US Adolescents Results of the National Comorbidity Survey?Adolescent Supplement. Arch Gen Psychiatry
- J?rgen Rehm ,Fotis Kanteres ,Dirk W. Lachenmeier, 2010. Unrecorded consumption, quality of alcohol and health consequences. Drug and alcohol review by APSAD https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1465-3362.2009.00140.
- K Peltzer, A Davids, P Njuho,2011 .Alcohol use and problem drinking in South Africa: findings from a national population-based survey. Afr J Psychiatry 14:30-37
- NACADA, 2012. Western Province Leaders Blamed for Frustrating Efforts to Curb Drug Abuse among the Youth.
- Robyn Dixon, 2010. For Many in Kenya, Illegal Brew has a Sting; Deaths and Blindness from Chang?aa Contaminated with Methanol. Los Angeles Times 31st
[Lihavi musindi marjorie and Phelix mulunda nasiombe. (2018); FACTORS CONTRIBUTING TO DEPENDENCE ON ILLICIT ALCOHOL AMONG RESIDENTS AGED (15-50) YEARS IN SHITOCHI SUB-LOCATION, KENYA: A DESCRIPTIVE CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (6). 49-56] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Kenya Oral Literature Association
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7186 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7186
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.