GRAND STRATEGY IN THE CYNOSURE: WHY SHOULD BANGLADESH HAVE GRAND STRATEGY?
- Senior Officer, International Programs and Relations, Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB) and Founder, Center for Grand Strategy Studies a single issue think tank.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The post-Cold War world politics presents impetus and propels states to update their International Relations thinking in many ways irrespective of their power status in the world politics. As Bangladesh does not elude the impetus created by the global politics of 21st century, this paper argues that formulating grand strategy can contribute to update International Relations thinking of Bangladesh. Once seemingly obsolescence idea has become the cynosure of scholars in the 21st century. Tracing the evolution of the idea of grand strategy, this paper illustrates how formulation of grand strategy has descended from great powers to middle powers and, therefore, argues that the idea has become applicable for all states. The article, therefore, explores the rationales of Bangladesh to have grand strategy in the 21st century. The article argues that as the kernel of grand strategy is to serve grand national interests; So, Bangladesh can have declared grand strategy to safeguard and augment enduring national interests of Bangladesh. This article attempts to fill up the knowledge gap of nonexistence of grand strategy scholarship in Bangladesh and contributes to update Bangladeshs International Relations thinking by applying it.
- Ahamed, Emajuddin. ?Bangladesh and the Policy of Peace and Non-alignment, ?in Emajuddin Ahamed (ed.) Foreign Policy of Bangladesh: A Small State s Imperative, Dhaka, UPL: 1984.
- Art, Robert J. ?Geopolitics Updated: The Strategy of Selective Engagement, International Security, Vol. 23, No. 3, Winter, 1998-1999.
- Athanassios G. Platias & Constantinos Koliopoulos. ?Grand Strategy: A Framework for Analysis, In Thucydides on Strategy, available at http://www.da.mod.uk/recommended-reading/documents/Grand-Strategy.pdf.
- Baracuhy, Braz. ?The Art of Grand Strategy, Review of Grand Strategies: Literature, Statecraft, and World Order by Charles Hill, Survival, 53, No. 1, February March 2011.
- Bassani, Colonel Joe. ?Saving the World for Democracy: An Historical Analysis of American Grand Strategy in the 21st Century, available at http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ndu/bassani_jaws_american_grand_strategy.pdf
- Baubinaite, Kristina. ?The Preconditions of Grand Strategy in Lithuania, available at http://www.lfpr.lt/uploads/File/2011-26/Baubinaite.pdf.
- Betts, Richard K. ?Is Strategy an Illusion, International Security, Vol.25, No.2, Fall 2000.
- Brands, Hal. ?Dilemmas of Brazilian Grand Strategy, Strategic Studies Institute Monograph, August 2010, available at http://www.strategicstudiesinstitute.army.mil/pdffiles/PUB1017.pdf.
- Feaver, Peter. ?What is Grand Strategy and Do we Need It, Foreign Policy, available at http://shadow.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/04/08/what_is_grand_strategy_and_why_do_we_need_it
- Gaddis, John Lewis. ?What is Grand Strategy, the keynote address for a conference on ?American Grand Strategy after War, ?sponsored by the Triangle Institute for Security Studies and the Duke University Program in American Grand Strategy, February 26, 2009.
- Granatstein, J.L. ?Can Canada have a Grand Strategy, (The paper presented at the Grand Strategy Symposium, Canadian Forces College, Toronto, 6-7 April 2011), available at http://www.cdfai.org/PDF/Can%20Canada%20Have%20a%20Grand%20Strategy.pdf.
- Gray, Colin S. Modern Strategy. New York: Oxford University Press, 1999.
- Griﬃths, Martin & Terry O Callaghan. International Relations: The Key Concepts. New York: Routledge, 2002.
- James, Neil. ?Grand strategy, Strategy and Australia, The Strategist, available at http://www.aspistrategist.org.au/grand-strategy-strategy-and-australia/.
- Halim, Abdul. ?Foreign Policy of Bangladesh: Framework of Analysis, in Emajuddin Ahamed (ed.), Foreign Policy of Bangladesh: A Small State s Imperative, Dhaka: UPL, 1984.
- Handel, Michael I. Masters of War: Classical Strategic Thought (3rd edition). London: Frank Class, 2005.
- Hoyt, Timothy D. ?India s Grand Strategy: Some Preliminary Thoughts, Changing Military Dynamics in East Asia Policy Brief 5, January 2005, The Study of Innovation and Technology in China (SITC), A Project of the University of California.
- Layton, Peter. ?The Idea of Grand Strategy, The RUSI Journal, August/September 2012, Vol.157, No.4.
- Lovett, Darin J. ?Space power for Australia s Security: Grand strategy or Strategy of Grandeur, A Thesis Presented for Graduate Completion, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies Air University, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama, 2012.
- Lyon, Rod. & Hayley Channer, ?Strategic Interests and Australian Grand Strategy, Policy Analysis, Australian Strategic Policy Institute, 7 February 2013, available at http://mercury.ethz.ch/serviceengine/Files/ISN/161927/ipublicationdocument_singledocument/ad7b073e-dc14-4031-a60b-b2ae287fae8b/en/Policy_Analysis108_Strategic_interests.pdf.
- Murdock, Clark & Kevin Kallmyer. ?Applied Grand Strategy: Making Tough Choices in an Era of Limits and Constraint, Orbis, Fall 2011.
- Ross, Robert S. ?Balance of Power Politics and the Rise of China: Accommodation and Balancing in East Asia, in William Keller & Thomas Rawsky (eds.), China s Rise and Balance of Influence in Asia, USA: University of Pittsburg Press, 2007.
- Sagan, Scott., Kenneth Waltz & Richard K. Betts. ?A Nuclear Iran: Promoting Stability or Courting Disaster, Journal of International Affairs, Spring/Summer 2007, Vol. 60, No. 2.
- Segal, Hugh. ?A Grand Strategy for Small Country, Canadian Military Journal, Autumn 2003.
- Stein, Arthur A. ?Beyond Realism: The Study of Grand Strategy, ?in Richard Rosecrance& Arthur Stein (Ed.) Domestic Bases of Grand Strategy, Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1993.
- Strachan, Hew. ?The Lost Meaning of Strategy, Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, Vol.47, No.3, Autumn 2005.
- K. ?Grand Strategy for the First Half of the 21st Century ?in Krishnappa Venkatshamy & Princy George (eds), Grand Strategy for India: 2020 and beyond, New Delhi: Pentagon Security International, 2012.
- Venkatshamy, Krishnappa. ?The Problem of Grand Strategy, Journal of Defense Studies, Vol. 6, Issue.3.
- Williamson, Murray. ?Thoughts on Grand Strategy and the United States in Twenty First Century, Journal of Military and Strategic Studies, Vol.13, Issue 1, Fall 2010.
[Sarwar J. Minar. (2018); GRAND STRATEGY IN THE CYNOSURE: WHY SHOULD BANGLADESH HAVE GRAND STRATEGY? Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (7). 39-49] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Officer, International Programs and Relations, Independent University, Bangladesh (IUB) and Founder, Center for Grand Strategy Studies
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7333 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7333
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.