DOSE OF REALITY: POST MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION IMPACT IN MARIJUANA LEGAL STATES.
- Cardiology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, USA, 802 1st ST SW, Rochester, MN, USA.
- Observer In Internal Medicine, Baylor Saint Luke\\\\\\\'s Medical Center, Houston, USA.
- Internal Medicine, Jinnah Sindh Medical University, Karachi, PAK.
- Internal Medicine, Harvard Medical College/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Boston, USA.
- Internal Medicine, Fatima Jinnah Medical University, High Point, USA.
- Oncology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA.
- Internal Medicine, Liaquat University of Medical and Health Sciences Hospital Jamshoro Sindh Pakistan., Jamshoro, PAK.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Marijuana is one of the most abused drugs in the United States. In recent years, it has become one of the most discussed topics with massive media coverage. The principal reason for its nationwide coverage is a constant debate over its legalization. At present, nine states and Washington, D.C. have legalized recreational marijuana. It has been around six years since marijuana was legalized in Colorado and Washington. Also, medical marijuana is legal in thirty states. However, there is a big divide between people?s beliefs on the matter of marijuana legalization. Proponents of marijuana legalization argue that it would allow people to use a relatively safe substance without the threat of arrest, raise new revenue from marijuana sales, and redirect resources to fund new programs. Opponents of marijuana legalization argue that it is too dangerous to use, lacks FDA approval, and has adverse health consequences, and increased societal costs. The goal of this study is to offer an up-to-date overview of the existing information available on the impact of marijuana legalization on the society in marijuana-legal states. An accurate view of this subject would contribute to increased knowledge and improved awareness among people towards marijuana. However, the nationwide effect of legalizing marijuana remains an open question requiring further research and studies.
- States where marijuana is legal. (2018). Accessed: June 28: https://www.businessinsider.com/legal-marijuana-states-2018-1
- Recreational weed could be legalized in Michigan: What to know. (2018). Accessed: June 6: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/06/06/recreational-weed-michigan-voters-2018/677531002/.
- Which States Will Be Voting on Marijuana in 2018?. (2018). Accessed: May 26: https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/05/26/which-states-will-be-voting-on-marijuana-in-2018.aspx.
- America?s marijuana industry headed for $24 billion by 2025 . (2017). Accessed: Feb 22: https://www.thecannabist.co/2017/02/22/report-united-states-marijuana-sales-projections-2025/74059/.
- Earl Blumenauer, \\\"The Path Forward: Rethinking Federal Policy on Marijuana,\\\"blumenauer.house.gov, 2017-2018
- Lauren Dixon, \\\"How Growing Marijuana Legalization Could Affect the Economy,\\\" talenteconomy.io, Dec. 20, 2016
- RCG Economics and Marijuana Policy Group, \\\"Nevada Adult-Use Marijuana: Economic & Fiscal Benefits Analysis,\\\" rcg1.com, July 2016
- Legalize Pot? You Must Be High . (2014). Accessed: Nov 7: http://time.com/3573394/legalize-pot-you-must-be-high/
- Bouchery EE, Harwood HJ, Sacks JJ, Simon CJ, Brewer RD: Economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in the U.S., 2006 . Am J Prev Med. 2011, 41:516-524. 1016/j.amepre.2011.06.045
- Jay Barmann, \\\"80 Percent of Medical Marijuana Tested at Recent NorCal Conference Is Tainted with Mold, Other Toxins,\\\" sfist.com, Aug. 31, 2017
- Washington State Legislature, \\\"WAC 314-55-105: Packaging and Labeling Requirements,\\\" apps.leg.wa.gov (accessed Jan. 8, 2018)
- Brooke Staggs, \\\"Here Are the Rules for Legal Marijuana in California Once Law Goes into Effect Jan. 1,\\\" ocregister.com, Nov. 16, 2017
- Nationwide Trends . (2015). Accessed: Jun: https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/nationwide-trends.
- Fiellin LE, Tetrault JM, Becker WC, Fiellin DA, Hoff RA: Previous Use of Alcohol, Cigarettes, and Marijuana and Subsequent Abuse of Prescription Opioids in Young Adults. J Adolesc Health. 2013, 52:158-163. 1016/j.jadohealth.2012.06.010
- United States Border Patrol, \\\"Sector Profile - Fiscal Year 2015 (Oct. 1st through Sept. 30th),\\\" cbp.gov (accessed Jan. 8, 2018)
- 16-American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), \\\"The War on Marijuana in Black and White,\\\" aclu.org, June 2013
- Christopher Ingraham, \\\"Justin Trudeau May Have Made the Best Case for Legal Pot Ever,\\\" washingtonpost.com, June 10, 2016
- Lessons Learned after 4 Years of Marijuana Legalization. (2016). Accessed: Oct: https://learnaboutsam.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/SAM-report-on-CO-and-WA-issued-31-Oct-2016.pdf.
- Marijuana\\\'s Environmental Impacts. (2015). Accessed: Jul 10: https://woods.stanford.edu/news-events/news/marijuanas-environmental-impacts.
- Marijuana\\\'s hidden price: Environmental impact . (2016). Accessed: Oct 19: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/10/161019173110.htm
- Everything you need to know about pot?s environmental impact. (2016). Accessed: Apr 19: https://grist.org/living/everything-you-need-to-know-about-pots-environmental-impact/
- Drug Policy Alliance, \\\"So Far, So Good What We Know about Marijuana Legalization in Colorado, Washington, Alaska, Oregon and Washington, D.C.,\\\" drugpolicy.org, 2016
- Larson Silbaugh, \\\"Distribution of Marijuana Tax Revenue,\\\" colorado.gov, July 2016
- Jennifer Calfas, \\\"How Colorado\\\'s Booming Marijuana Industry Is Helping Fight Homelessness and Drug Addiction,\\\" time.com, June 1, 2017
- https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUHsaeShortTermCHG2015/NSDUHsaeShortTermCHG2015.htm. (2016). Accessed: Sept 8: https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUHsaeShortTermCHG2015/NSDUHsaeShortTermCHG2015.htm.
- Alejandro Azofeifa, et al., \\\"National Estimates of Marijuana Use and Related Indicators - National Survey on Drug Use and Health, United States, 2002?2014,\\\" cdc.gov, Sep. 2, 2016
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, \\\"National Survey on Drug Use and Health: Comparison of 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 Population Percentages,\\\" samhsa.gov (accessed Jan. 8, 2018)
- Johnson SB, Blum RW, Giedd JN: Adolescent maturity and the brain: the promise and pitfalls of neuroscience research in adolescent health policy. J Adolesc Health. 2009, 45:216-221. 1016%2Fj.jadohealth.2009.05.016
- Rubia K, Overmeyer S, Taylor E et al.: Functional frontalisation with age: mapping neurodevelopmental trajectories with fMRI. NeurosciBiobehav Rev. 2000, 24:13-19. 1016/S0149-7634(99)00055-X
- Fergusson DM, Boden JM: Cannabis use and later life outcomes. Addiction. 2008 , 103:969-976. 1111/j.1360-0443.2008.02221.x
- Broyd SJ, van Hell HH, Beale C, Y?cel M, Solowij N: Acute and Chronic Effects of Cannabinoids on Human Cognition-A Systematic Review. . Biol Psychiatry. 2016, 79:557-567. 1016/j.biopsych.2015.12.002
- Copeland J, Rooke S, Swift W: Changes in cannabis use among young people: impact on mental health. CurrOpin Psychiatry. 2013, 26:325-329. 1097/YCO.0b013e328361eae5
- Bondallaz P, Favrat B, Chtioui H, Fornari E, Maeder P, Giroud C: Cannabis and its effects on driving skills. Forensic science international. Forensic Sci Int. 2016, 268:92-102. 1016/j.forsciint.2016.09.007
- Hartman RL, Huestis MA: Cannabis effects on driving skills. Clin Chem. 2012, 59:478-492. 1373/clinchem.2012.194381
[Wajih Ullah M, Rehman A, Ashraf F, Siddiq W, Latif Wa, Prasai K and Bai J. (2018); DOSE OF REALITY: POST MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION IMPACT IN MARIJUANA LEGAL STATES. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (8). 153-157] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7503 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7503
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.