EFFECT OF NITROGEN AND POTASSIUM ON GROWTH AND YIELD OF TWO GARLIC GENOTYPE
- Additional Deputy Director (Crop) Dinajpur District, Department of Agricultural Extension, Ministry of Agriculture, People\'s Republic of Bangladesh.
- Department of Horticulture, Bangladesh Agricultural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
A field experiment was conducted to evaluate the interaction effect of nitrogen and potassium on growth and yield related characters of two garlic varieties at the of Spices Research Center, Bogra during november 2000 to march 2001. The experiment consists of two garmplasm i.e. Accession G19 and G20 with four levels of nitrogen (0, 100, 200, 300 kg N ha-1) and potassium (0, 100, 200, 300 kg K2O ha-1). The three factorial experiment was laid out in a randomized complete block design with three replications. Results demonstrated that there was significant variation present among the studied treatments. Between the varieties, accession G20 showed the best performance (8.08 t ha-1). The solitary application both of N and K2O also increase the growth and yield of garlic at considerable amount. Among the treatments the highest bulb yield was achieved by using 200 kg ha-1 of N and K2O (9.62 and 8.61 t ha-1 respectively). This study suggested that the treatment combination of accession G20 with 200 kg N ha-1 and 200 kg K2O ha-1 will be more profitable (11.03 t ha-1) than any other studied treatment combinations.
- Allen, J. (2009). Garlic production. Factsheet, Garlic production, order number 97-007. omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/09-011w.htm
- Amin, M. R. (1998). Effects of different levels of nitrogen and potassium on the growth and yield of garlic. M. Sc. Thesis. Dept. of Hort. Bangladesh Agril. Univ., Mymensingh, 79.
- (2017). Statistical Pocket Book of Bangladesh. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics, Stat. Div., Minist. Planning, Govt. People?s Rep. Bangladesh, 143-145.
- Bertoni, G. & Morard du L. Espagnacq, P. (1988). Dynamique de I?absortion des elements mineraux I?ail (Allium sativum). Agrochimica, 32 (5-6): 519-530.
- Brahma, S. & Yousuf, M. N. (2008). Effect of nitrogen and potassium on the growth and yield of garlic. Research Report for 2007-2008. Spices Research Centre, BARI Shibgong, Bogra, 77-81.
- Brewster, J.L. (1994). Onions and other vegetable Alliums. CAB International, Wallingford, UK.
- Buwalda, J. G. & Freeman, R. E. (1987). Effect of nitrogen fertilizers on the growth and yield of potato, onion, garlic and hybrid squash. Scientia Hort. 33 (3/4): 61-173.
- Cassman, K. Dobermann, A. and Walters, D. (2002). Agroecosystems, nitrogen use efficiency and nitrogen management. Ambio 31(2), 132-140.
- Fernandes, .JC.F., B?ll LT., Corr?a, J.C., Pavan, M.A. & Imaizumi, I. (2010). Resposta de plantas de alho livres de v?rus ao nitrog?nio em ambiente protegido. Hortic. Bras., 28(1): 97-101.
- Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO). (2003). Global review of area and production of garlic, 135-139.
- Fritsch, F. N. Christian, N. G. & Ferreya, E. R. (1990). Response of garlic (Allium sativum L.) cv. Espanol INIA to nitrogen fertilization. Investigation Agricola, 10 (2): 85-89 [Cited from Hort., 66 (10): 990,1992].
- Garcia, A. (1980). Sprouting before harvest in garlic. Commun. Tech. Emp. Bras. Pesqui. Agropecu. Pelotas, 9, 3.
- Hedge, D.M. (1988). Effect of irrigation and nitrogen fertilizers on yield, quality, nutrient uptake and water use of onion (Allium cepa L.). Singapore J. Printice Hall of. India, 16(2): 111-123.
- Hossain, M. M. (1997). Effect of different levels of nitrogen and potash on the growth and yield of garlic. M.Sc. Thesis. Dept. of Hort., Bangladesh Agril. Univ., Mymensingh, 65.
- Kamenetsky, R., & Rabinowitch, H.D. (2001). Floral development in bolting garlic. Sex. Plant Repr., 4, 235-241.
- Karic, L., Vukasinovic S. and Znidarcic. D. (2005). Response of leek (Allium porrum L.) to different levels of nitrogen dose under agro-climate conditions of Bosnia and Herzegovina. Acta agriculturae Slovenica, 85(2): 219-226.
- Kilgori, M., Magaji M. &Yakubu A. (2007b). Productivity of two garlic (Allium sativum L.) cultivars as affected by different levels of nitrogenous and phosphorous fertilizers in Sokoto, Nigeria. American-Eurasian Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Science, 2(2): 158-168.
- Koltunov, V.A. (1984). Effect of different fertilizer rates and garlic productivity and storability. V?isn. Sil?s kogospodars koi Nauki. 11: 52-54.
- Lachica, J. F. (1982). The effect of tillage, NPK levels and population density on the growth and yield of garlic. CLSU Scientia. J., 3(2): 9-19.
- Mac?do, F.S., Souza, R.J., Carvalho, J.G. Santos, B.R. & Leite L.V.R. (2009). Produtividade de alho vernalizado em fun??o de doses de nitrog?nio e molibd?nio. Bragantia, 68(3): 657-663.
- Nai-hua, Y. Dingguo, Z. & Wang, J. (1998). Phosphorus and Potassium Nutrient Management for Vegetable Soils in Shanghai and Guangdong. In: Donald L. Armstrong (Ed.), Better Crops International, 12(1): 1.
- Nonnecke, I.L. (1989). Vegetable Production, New York. 657.
- Salomon, R. (2002). Virus diseases in garlic and the propagation of virus free planting. In: Rabinwitch, H.D. and L. Currah (Eds.). Allium crop sciences: Recent advances. CAB International, Wallingford, UK. 311-327.
- Samavatean, N, Rafiee. S, Mobli. H, & Mohammadi. A, (2011). An analysis of energy use and relation between energy inputs and yield, costs and income of garlic production in Iran. Renewable Energy, 36: 1808-1813.
- Setty, B. S., Sulikeri G. S. & Hulamani N. C. (1989). Effect of N, P and K on growth and yield of garlic (Allium sativum L.). Karnataka J. Agril. Sci, 2 (3): 160-164.
- Soto, J.A. (1988). Nutritional requirements of onion (Allium cepa L.) in the soils of northern cartago II. Critical levels for PK and S response to N. Agron. Costarricense, 12(1): 52-57.
- Talukder, A.F.M., Rahim M.A. & Anwar H.R.M.M. (1998). Effect of planting time with different levels of nitrogen on the growth and yield of garlic. Bangladesh J. Train. Dev., 13(1 &2): 159-166.
- Uddin, A.F.M.J. (1993). Effect of planting time, nitrogen and potash levels on the growth and yield of garlic. M. Sc. Thesis, Dept. Hort., Bangladesh Agril. Univ., Mymensingh. 39.
- Voigt, C. (2004). Gloriousgarlic herb of the year 2004. Journal of International Herb Association Horticulture Committee, Virginia State University. 1-6.
- Zaman, M.S., Hashem M.A., Jahiruddin M., & Rahim M.A., (2011). Effect Of Nitrogen For Yield Maximization Of Garlic In Old Brahmaputra Flood Plain Soil. Bangladesh Journal of Agricultural Research, 36(2): 357-367.
- Zhou, Y., Wang D., Zhu, J., Liu, Q. & Fan, M.X. (2005). The role of sulfur fertilizers in balanced fertilization. In: L.J. De Kok and E. Schnug (eds.), Proceedings of the 1st Sino-German Workshop on Aspects of Sulfur Nutrition of Plants 23-27 May 2004 in Shenyang, China, Landbauforschung V?lkenrode, Special Issue 283:171-176.
[Md. Shamim and M. A. Rahim. (2018); EFFECT OF NITROGEN AND POTASSIUM ON GROWTH AND YIELD OF TWO GARLIC GENOTYPE Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (11). 193-204] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Additional Deputy Director (Crop), Department of Agricultural Extension, Ministry of Agriculture, People\'s Republic of Bangladesh
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7987 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7987
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.