- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Silver (Ag) has been in use in medicine since time immemorial because of its antimicrobial properties. However, due to the emergence of antibiotics, the use of Ag has been declined. Several pathogenic bacteria have developed resistance against various antibiotics. This has led to the reemergence of Ag. Recently, nanoscience and nanotechnology are gaining tremendous popularity. The small size of nanoparticles provides larger surface area and hence increases the effectiveness of nanoparticles. Ag nanoparticles (AgNPs) are used in medical and dental applications ranging from Ag‑based wound dressings, Ag‑coated medical devices such as catheters, bone cements, in gels, lotions, cosmetics, in dental restorative materials, endodontic cements, dental implants? caries inhibitory agents, and in prosthesis.
- Craig RG. Restorative Dental Materials. 10th ed. St Louis: Mosby; 1996. p. 500.
- Pereira‑Cenci T, Del Bel Cury AA, Crielaard W, Ten Cate JM. Development of Candida‑associated denture stomatitis: New insights. J Appl Oral Sci 2008;16:86‑
- Radford DR, Sweet SP, Challacombe SJ, Walter JD. Adherence of Candida albicans to denture‑base materials with different surface finishes. J Dent 1998;26:577‑
- Valentini F, Luz MS, Boscato N, Pereira‑Cenci T. Biofilm formation on denture liners in a randomised controlled in situ trial. J Dent 2013;41:420‑
- Wady AF, Machado AL, Zucolotto V, Zamperini CA, Berni E, Vergani CE. Evaluation of Candida albicans adhesion and biofilm formation on a denture base acrylic resin containing silver nanoparticles. J Appl Microbiol 2012;112:1163‑
- Paranhos HF, Silva‑Lovato CH, de Souza RF, Cruz PC, de Freitas‑Pontes KM, Watanabe E, et al. Effect of three methods for cleaning dentures on biofilms formed in vitro on acrylic resin. J Prosthodont 2009;18:427‑
- Jorgensen E. Candida‑associated denture stomatitis and angular cheilitis. In: Samaranayake LP, MacFarlane TW, editors. Oral Candidosis. London, UK: Butterworth; 1990.
- Ramage G, Tomsett K, Wickes BL, L?pez‑Ribot JL, Redding SW. Denture stomatitis: A role for Candida biofilms. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2004;98:53‑
- Pusateri CR, Monaco EA, Edgerton M. Sensitivity of Candida albicans biofilm cells grown on denture acrylic to antifungal proteins and chlorhexidine. Arch Oral Biol 2009;54:588‑
- Redding S, Bhatt B, Rawls HR, Siegel G, Scott K, Lopez‑Ribot J. Inhibition of Candida albicans biofilm formation on denture material. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2009;107:669‑
- Arendorf TM, Walker DM. Denture stomatitis: A review. J Oral Rehabil 1987;14:217‑
- Baena‑Monroy T, Moreno‑Maldonado V, Franco‑Mart?nez F, Aldape‑Barrios B, Quind?s G, S?nchez‑Vargas LO. Candida albicans, Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus mutans colonization in patients wearing dental prosthesis. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2005;10 Suppl 1:E27‑
- Webb BC, Thomas CJ, Willcox MD, Harty DW, Knox KW. Candida‑associated denture stomatitis. Aetiology and management: A review. Part 2. Oral diseases caused by Candida species. Aust Dent J 1998;43:160‑
- Samaranayake LP. Oral mycoses in HIV infection. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1992;73:171‑
- Greenwood D, Slack R, Peutherer J, editors. Medical Microbiology. 15th ed. Edinburgh, Scotland: Churchill Livingstone, Ltd.; 1997.
- Samaranayake YH, Samaranayake LP. Experimental oral candidiasis in animal models. Clin Microbiol Rev 2001;14:398‑
- Kauffman CA, Carver PL. Antifungal agents in the 1990s. Current status and future developments. Drugs 1997;53:539‑
- Ellepola AN, Samaranayake LP. Oral candidal infections and antimycotics. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 2000;11:172‑
- De Visschere LM, Grooten L, Theuniers G, Vanobbergen JN. Oral hygiene of elderly people in long‑term care institutions ? A cross‑sectional study. Gerodontology 2006;23:195‑
- Casemiro LA, Gomes Martins CH, Pires‑de‑Souza Fde C, Panzeri H. Antimicrobial and mechanical properties of acrylic resins with incorporated silver‑zinc zeolite ? Part I. Gerodontology 2008;25:187‑
- Nam KY. In vitro antimicrobial effect of the tissue conditioner containing silver nanoparticles. J Adv Prosthodont 2011;3:20‑
- Pietrokovski J, Azuelos J, Tau S, Mostavoy R. Oral findings in elderly nursing home residents in selected countries: Oral hygiene conditions and plaque accumulation on denture surfaces. J Prosthet Dent 1995;73:136‑
- Nagy A, Harrison A, Sabbani S, Munson RS Jr., Dutta PK, Waldman WJ. Silver nanoparticles embedded in zeolite membranes: Release of silver ions and mechanism of antibacterial action. Int J Nanomedicine 2011;6:1833‑
- Duke ES. Has dentistry moved into the nanotechnology era? Compend Contin Educ Dent 2003;24:380‑
- Mohamed Hamouda I. Current perspectives of nanoparticles in medical and dental biomaterials. J Biomed Res 2012;26:143‑
- Lara HH, Garza‑Trevi?o EN, Ixtepan‑Turrent L, Singh DK. Silver nanoparticles are broad‑spectrum bactericidal and virucidal compounds. J Nanobiotechnology 2011;9:30.
- Li R, Kim DD, Yu K, Liang H, Bai C, Li S. Study of fine silver powder from AgOH slurry by hydrothermal techniques. J Mater Process Technol 2003;137:55‑
- Dong X, Ji X, Jing J, Li M, Li J, Yang W. Synthesis of triangular silver nanoprisms by Stepwise reduction of sodium borohydride and trisodium citrate. J Phys Chem C 2010;114:2070‑
- Deng JP, Shih WC, Mou CY. Electron transfer‑induced hydrogenation of anthracene catalyzed by gold and silver nanoparticles. J Phys Chem C 2007;111:9723‑
- Panacek A, Kv?tek L, Prucek R, Kolar M, Vecerova R, Piz?rova N, et al. Silver colloid nanoparticles: Synthesis, characterization, and their antibacterial activity. J Phys Chem B 2006;110:16248‑
[Sorav Gupta, Syed Shujaulla, Gaurav Kumar Mittal and Himanshu Guliani. (2018); APPLICATIONS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES IN PROSTHODONTICS: A NEW APPRAISAL. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (11). 171-177] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/7983 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/7983
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.