ECONOMIC GROWTH AND FINANCIAL DEVELOPMENT: AN EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF MONGOLIAN ECONOMY.
- School of International Business-Shaanxi Normal University1,2, Xi?an P.R. China; School of International Trade and Economics-University of International of International Business and Economics3,4, Beijing, P.R. China.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Mongolia has been passing through the transitional stage from controlled economic system to liberalized political and economic system during last two decades. The country is still on the early stage of development of market economy but one of the fastest growing economies in the world and especially in Asian region. At a same time, Mongolian financial sector, especially banking sector, is one of the fastest growing industry among the others since its economic and financial reform started. Naturally, it arises the questions whether financial sector development leads to economic growth or otherwise economic growth leads to financial sector development. This paper is the result of an attempt to analyze the causal relationship between financial sector development and economic growth in Mongolia. This empirical analysis is performed using Granger Causality test procedure under Vector Auto Regressive model with quarterly data of economic growth and financial development proxies which dimensioned into financial depth, access, efficiency and stability in 2001-2017. These empirical tests provide an evidence for presence of significant causal relationship from financial development to economic growth in Mongolia. This unidirectional causality can be explained by the result of Mongolian Government policies which have liberalized its financial sector since 1990s. The empirical analysis found that financial indicators causes economic growth in different time horizons. Among the financial deepening indicators, an increase in broad money drives to economic growth in short term while growth in private sector credit and capital market lead to economic growth in long term. Improvement in access to the finance followed by economic growth in short term, while financial sector efficiency causes economic growth in long term. In summary, Mongolian economic growth strongly follows the financial sector development. Therefore, macroeconomic policies to strengthen and stimulate financial sector development are highly recommended.
- Arestis, Philip. &Demetriades, Panicos.,&LuintelKul B., 2001, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: The Role of Stock Markets?, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 33, No. 1 (Feb., 2001), pp. 16-41.
- Arestis, Philip. &Demetriades, Panicos., 1997, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: Assessing the Evidence?, The Economic Journal, Vol. 107, No. 442 (May, 1997), pp. 783-799.
- Asian Development Bank, 2005, ?Government Financial Sector Reform Program (2000 ? 2010), Mid-Term Review Report?
- Asian Development Bank, 2008, ?Evaluation Study: Financial Sector in Mongolia? Transition to a Market Economy Built on Successful Financial Reforms, Rapid Sector Assessment?.
- Bagehot, Walter. 1873, ?Lombard Street: A Description of the Money Market. King, London?, reprinted Wiley, New York 1999, ISBN 0-471-34499-0
- Bank of Mongolia, 2012, ?Annual Report? Barro, Robert J., and Xavier Sala-i-Martin, 1992, ?Convergence?, Journal of Political Economy 100(2): 223-251.
- Berger, Allen N. &Hasan, Iftekhar&Klapper, Leora F., 2004, ?Further evidence on the link between finance and growth: An international analysis of community banking and economic performance?, Bank of Finland Discussion Papers, Aug, 2004.
- Berthelemy J. C. &Varoudakis A., 1996, ?Economic Growth, Convergence Clubs, and the Role of Financial Development?, Oxford Economic Papers, New Series, Vol. 48, No. 2, (Apr., 1996), pp. 300-328.
- Bhattacharya, P. C. & M. N. Sivasubramanian, 2003, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth in India: 1970-71 to 1998-1999?, Applied Financial economics, 13(12).
- Blackburn, K., & Huang, V., 1998, ?A theory of growth, financial development and trade?, Economica, 65, 107?124.
- Brooks, Chris. 2008, ?Introductory Econometrics for Finance? 2nd edition, Cambridge University Press, 648 pages.
- Calderon, Cesar & Liu, Lin, 2003. \"The direction of causality between financial development and economic growth,\" Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 321334, October.
- Caprio, Gerard, Jr& Levine, Ross, 1994. \"Reforming Finance in Transitional Socialist Economies,\" World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 9(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Chang, Τ., 2002, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth in Mainland China: A Note on Testing Demand-Following or Supply-Leading Hypothesis?, Applied Economics Letters, 9, 869-873.
- Cho, Y.J. 1989, \"Finance and development: The Korean approach,\" Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Vol 5, No. 4, Winter, pp. 88-102
- Christopher J. Green, AlunDwyfor Evans, Victor Murinde, 2002. \"Human Capital and Financial Development in Economic Growth: New Evidence Using the Translog Production Function,\" International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(2), pages 123-40, April.
- Christopoulos D.K. &Tsionas E.G., 2004, ?Financial development and economic growth: evidence from panel unit root and cointegration tests?, Journal of Development Economics 73 (2004) 55 ? 74
- Cochrane J.H., 2013, ?Finance: Function Matters, Not Size?, The Journal of Economic Perspectives, Vol. 27, No. 2 (Spring 2013), pp. 29-49.
- Darrat Ali F., Abosedra Salah S. & Hassan Y. Aly, 2005, ?Assessing the Role of Financial Deepening in Business Cycles: The Experience of the United Arab Emirates?, Applied Financial Economics, Volume 15, Number 7, 1 April 2005, 17 pages.
- Dawson, John W., 2003. \"Causality in the freedom-growth relationship,\" European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 19 (3), pages 479-495, September.
- Deidda L., 2001. \"Financial Institutions\' Expertise and Growth Effects of Financial Liberalisation,\" Working Paper CRENoS 200105, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Demetriades P.O. & Hussein K.A. ?Does financial development cause economic growth? Time-series evidence from 16 countries.? Journal of Development Economics 51, (1996): 387-411.
- Tsolmon, 2010, ?Mongolia Banking Sector?, ERINA discussion paper No. 1004e.
- Edison, Hali J. & Levine, Ross & Ricci, Luca &Slok, Torsten, 2002. \"International financial integration and economic growth,\" Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 749-776, November.
- Ghirmay, T., 2004. ?Financial Development and Economic Growth in Sub-Saharan African Countries: Evidence from Time Series Analysis?. African Development Review. 415-432.
- Goldsmith R. W., ?Financial Structure and Development?, New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Gurley J.G., Shaw E.S, ?Financial Structure and Economic Development?, The University of Chicago Press , Page 257 of 257-268
- HahIni, Hongjoo&Yenier, Demir, 1998, ?Financial Sector Reforms in Mongolia?, EDI working papers, World Bank.
- Harb, Nasri& Al-Awad, Mouawiya, 2005. \"Financial Development and Economic Growth in the Middle East,\" MPRA Paper 13605, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hassan, M.K. & Bashir A-H.M., 2003, ?Determinants of Islamic Banking profitability?, Paper presented at the Economic Research Forum (ERF) 10th Annual Conference, Marrakesh, Morocco, 16-18 December.Chuah H. L & Thai V, 2004, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: Evidence from Causality Tests for the GCC countries?, IMF Working Paper, WP/04/XX (Fall).
- Hicks J., 1969, ?A Theory of Economic History?. Oxford: Clarendon, 181 pages IMF, 2011, ?Mongolia: Financial System Stability Assessment?, Country Report No. 11/107.
- Jung, W. S., 1986. ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: International Evidence. Economic Development and Cultural Change?, 34(2), 333-346. Ghali, K., 1999, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth:
- The Tynisian Experience?, Review of Development Economics, 3(3), 310 - 322.
- Jung, Woo S., 1986, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: International Evidence?, Economic Development and Cultural Change, Vol. 34, No. 2 pp. 333-346.
- Kaminsky, Graciela &Schmukler Sergio L., 2002. \"Emerging Market Instability: Do Sovereign Ratings Affect Country Risk and Stock Returns?,\" World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 16(2), pages 171-195, August.
- Khan Mohsin S. &SenhadjiAbdelhak S, 2001, ?Threshold Effects in the Relationship between Inflation and Growth?, IMF Staff Papers, Vol. 48, No. 1
- Khan Mohsin S. &SenhadjiAbdelhak S., 2000, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: An overview?, IMF, Working paper, WP/00/209, 24 pages.
- Khan Mohsin S. &SenhadjiAbdelhak S., 2003. \"Financial Development and Economic Growth: A Review and New Evidence\", Journal of African Economies, Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(Supplement), pages 89-110, September.
- Khan, Mohsin S. &SenhadjiAbdelhak S., ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: An Overview.? IMF Working Paper, WP/00/209, (December 2000).
- King, R.G. & Levine R. ?Finance and Growth: Schumpeter Might be Right.? The Quarterly Journal of Economics 108, no. 3 (August 1993): 717-737.
- Lensink, Robert. 2001, ?Financial development, uncertainty and economic growth.? De Economist 149, no. 3 (2001): 299-312
- Levine, Ross &Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000, ?Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes?, Journal of Monetary Economics 46 (2000), pp. 31-77.
- Levine, Ross, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth: Views and Agenda.? Journal of Economic Literature. Vol. 35, (June 1997): 688-726.
- Loayza Norman V. &RomainRanci?re, 2006, ?Financial Development, Financial Fragility, and Growth?, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Vol. 38, No. 4 (Jun., 2006), pp. 10511076.
- Luintel, K. B., Khan, M. 1999. ?A quantitative reassessment of the finance-growth nexus, Evidence from a multivariate VAR?, Journal of Development Economics, 60, 381-405.
- ThangaveluShandre M. &JiunnAngBeng& James, 2004. \"Financial development and economic growth in Australia: An empirical analysis\", Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 247-260, 05.
- Manning, M., 2003. ?Finance Causes Growth: Can We Be So Sure?? The BE Journal of Macroeconomics, Contributions 3.
- McKinnon, Ronald I. 1973, ?Money and Capital in Economic Development?, Washington, DC, Brookings Institution.
- Shaw, Edward 1973, ?Financial Deepening in Economic Development?, New York: Oxford University Press.
- Mody R. J., 1984, ?Financial Mechanism and Economic Growth?, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 19, No. 49 (Dec. 8, 1984), pp. 2095-2096.
- Nagaishi, Makoto. 1999, ?Stock Market Development and Economic Growth: Dubious Relationship?, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 34, No. 29 (Jul. 17-23, 1999), pp. 2004-2012.
- Odedokun M.O 1998, ?Financial Intermediation and Economic Growth in Developing Countries?, Journal of Economic Studies, 25(3): 203 ? 234.
- Odedokun, M. O. 1996, ?Alternative econometric approaches for analyzing the role of the financial sector in economic growth: time-series evidence from LDCs?. Journal of Development Economics 50, 119 -146.
- Patrick, H.T. 1966, ?Financial Development and Economic Growth in Underdeveloped Countries?, Economic Development and Cultural Change 14, 174--89.
- Sinha, Dipendra&Macri, Joseph, 2001. \"Financial development and economic growth: The case of eight Asian countries,\" MPRA Paper 18297, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rajan, R.G. & L. Zingales. ?Financial Dependence and Growth.? The American Economic Review 88, no. 3 (June 1998): 559-586.
- Robinson, Joan, 1952, ?The generalization of the General Theory, The rate of interest and other essays?, London, Macmillan, 1952, pp 67-142.
- Lucas, Robert E., 1988, ?On the Mechanics of Economic Development, Journal of Monetary Economics?, 1988, 3-42.
- Rousseau, P. L. &Wachtel, P., 2000. \"Equity markets and growth: Cross-country evidence on timing and outcomes, 1980-1995,\"Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1933-1957, December.
[Tsogkhuu Tsetsenzaya, Zhou Xiawei, Zahid Hussain and Wasim Abbas Shaheen. (2019); ECONOMIC GROWTH AND FINANCIAL DEVELOPMENT: AN EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF MONGOLIAN ECONOMY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. (1). 150-164] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
School of International Trade and Economics- University of International Business and Economics
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8308 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8308
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.