- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: secondary hyperparathyroidism is a common problem in patients with chronic renal failure. The optimal surgery in management of secondary hyperparathyroidism still controversial. Total parathyroidectomy with autotransplantation and subtotal parathyroidectomy may be employed. Methods:This prospective study was conducted on 30 patients presented by manifestations of secondary hyperparathyroidism and admitted to Mansoura University Hospitals over three years (from May 2015 to May 2018).Our patients were divided to two groups: Group (A) included 15 patients underwent total parathyriodectomy with cervical thymectomy and autotransplantation;(TPTX-AT) Group (B) included 15 patients underwent subtotal parathyroidectomy with cervical thymectomy;(SPTX). Results: TPTX-AT was associated with longer operative time than SPTX,(109.6 vs 94.9 p<0.001).the rate of complications was no significantly different between TPTX-AT and SPTX, recurrence of hyperparathyroidism,( SPTX: two patientsvsTPTX-AT: one patient P 1), hypoparathyroidism reported in three patients underwent TPTX-AT vsone patient underwent SPTX p 0.59.The two procedures markedly decreased serum PTH levels to normal ranges. Conclusion: TPTX-AT and SPTX were effectively treating secondary hyperparathyroidism, nearly equal in safety, complications and in biochemical parameters improvement.
- Chen J, Zhou QY, Wang JD. Comparison between subtotal parathyroidectomy and total parathyroidectomy with autotransplantation for secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients with chronic renal failure: a meta-analysis. HormMetab Res. 2015 Aug:47(9):643-651
- Covic, A., Kothawala, P., Bernal, M., Robbins, S., Chalian, A., & Goldsmith, D. (2009) Systematic review of the evidence underlying the association between mineral.Metabolism disturbances and risk of all-cause mortality, cardiovascular mortality and cardiovascular events in chronic kidney disease.Nephrol Dial Transplant 24(5): pp. 1506-1523
- Cunningham, J., Locatelli, F., & Rodriguez, M. (2011). Secondary hyperparathyroidism: pathogenesis, disease progression, and therapeutic options. Clin J Am SocNephrol 6(4): pp. 913-921
- Goodman, W. G., Goldin, J., Kuizon, B. D., Yoon, C., Gales, B., Sider, D., Wang, Y., Chung, J., Emerick, A., Greaser, L., Elashoff, R. M., &Salusky, I. B. (2000). Coronary-artery calcification in young adults with end-stage renal disease who are undergoing dialysis. N Engl J Med 342(20): pp. 1478-1483
- Liang Y, Sun Y, Ren L , et al. Short-term efficacy of surgical treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2015 Oct:19(20):3904-3909
- Malluche, H. &Faugere M. C. (1990). Renal bone disease 1990: an unmet challenge for thenephrologist. Kidney Int 38(2): pp. 193-211
- Meltzer C, klauM,Gurushanthaiah D, Titan H, MengD,Radler L, Sundang A. Risk of coplications after thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy: a case series with planned chart review. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016 sep:155(3):391-401.
- Moe, S., Drueke, T., Cunningham, J., Goodman, W., Martin, K., Olgaard, K., Ott, S., Sprague, S., Lameire, N., &Eknoyan, G. (2006). Definition, evaluation, and classification of renal osteodystrophy: a position statement from Kidney Disease: Improving Global Outcomes (KDIGO). Kidney Int 69(11): pp. 1945-1953
- Raggi, P., Boulay, A., Chasan-Taber, S., Amin, N., Dillon, M., Burke, S. K., &Chertow, G. M. (2002). Cardiac calcification in adult hemodialysis patients.A link between end stage renal disease and cardiovascular disease? J Am CollCardiol 39(4): pp. 695-701
- Ribeiro, S., Ramos, A., Brandao, A., Rebelo, J. R., Guerra, A., Resina, C., Vila-Lobos, A., Carvalho, F., Remedio, F., &Ribeiro, F. (1998). Cardiac valve calcification in haemodialysis patients: role of calcium-phosphate metabolism. Nephrol Dial Transplant 13(8): pp. 2037-2040
- Rodriguez, M. & Lorenzo V. (2009).Parathyroid hormone, a uremic toxin.Semin Dial 22(4): pp. 363-836
- Wetmore JB, Liu J, Do TP, et al. Changes in secondary hyperparathyroidism-related biochemical parameters and medication use following parathyroidectomyNephrol Dial Transpl. 2016 Jan:31(1): 103-111.
[Atef Mohamed AbdElatif, Yasser Ali Elsayed, Tamer Youssef Mohamed, Nagy A-H.M.sayed-Ahmed and Mohamed Abd Allah AbdElhady. (2018); TOTAL PARATHROIDECTOMY WITH AUTOTRANSPLANTATION VERSUS SUBTOTAL PARATHYROIDECTOMY AS DIFFERENT MODALITIES IN MANAGEMENT OF SECONDARY HYPERPARATHYROIDISM. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (12). 170-176] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
assistant lecturer - Mansoura faculty of medicine - mansoura Egypt
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8129 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8129
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.