STUDY OF CARDIOVASCULAR ENDURANCE IN NEWLY ADMITTED MEDICAL STUDENTS.
- Demonstrator, Dept. of Physiology, Pt. B D Sharma PGIMS Rohtak.
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Physiology, Pt. B D Sharma PGIMS Rohtak.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Community Medicine, GMCH, Chandigarh.
- Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biochemistry, Pt. B D Sharma PGIMS Rohtak.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Introduction: Physical fitness is necessary for all the activities of ours in the daily routine. A sedentary lifestyle and low physical fitness is the most prevalent modifiable risk factor for non-communicable diseases or lifestyle diseases. Physical activity and regular light to moderate exercise may reduce the risk of lifestyle diseases and death especially from cardiovascular diseases and related comorbidities like hypertension, diabetes and obesity. Step test provides a submaximal measure of cardiovascular endurance. Objectives: This study is undertaken to assess cardiovascular endurance in newly admitted MBBS student of Health University of Haryana. Material and Method: This study was conducted on 180 MBBS first professional students. Amongst the participant students 97 were male and 83 were female students. Modified Harvard step test i.e. Master step test for cardiovascular endurance was used. Participants were screened for any recent illness or any limiting factor to perform master step test. Scores were interpreted as per General Physical fitness test chart of Master Step test. Statistical tests including chi square were used and p value calculated for two groups. Results: It was observed that amongst total 180 students 47% students have poor cardiovascular endurance, 48.5% students have average and 4.5% have good cardiovascular endurance. Male students have 20% poor, 70 % average and 10% good score while 68% female students have poor, 30% average and only 2% have good cardiovascular endurance. There is significant difference of proportion in two groups of male and female students in respect of cardiovascular fitness. Conclusion: Cardiovascular endurance according to Master step test score was found more on average side in male students but poor in female students. Physical activity thus found to be low in newly admitted MBBS students and thus it is advised that Physical and cardiorespiratory exercise modules should be included in the Medical education curriculum.
- Hulens M, Vansant G, Claessens AL. Health-related quality of life in physically active and sedentary obese women. Am. J. Hum. Biol., 2002;14(6):777-85
- Ortega FB, Ruiz JR, Mesa JL, Gutierrez A, Sjostrom M. Cardiovascular Fitness in Adolescents: The Influence of Sexual Maturation Status-The AVENA and EYHS Studies. American Journal of Human Biology.2007;19: 801?808
- Castillo MJ, Ortega FB, Ruiz J. Improvement of physical fitness as Anti- aging intervention. Med Clin (Barc). 2005;124(4):146-55
- Sengupta P, Sahoo S. Evaluation of Health Status of the fishers: prediction of cardiovascular fitness and anaerobic power. World Journal of Life Sciences and Medical Research 2011; 1(2):25-30.
- Karandikar MS, Prasad NB, Kumar A. Assessment of Cardiopulmonary Efficiency Levels in a Student International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications. 2014; 4(5):2250-3153.
- Michelle NA, Bill RN, Kimberly W, Yasek V, Juckett G, Richards T. Medical student perceptions of healthy lifestyles; A qualitative study. California J Health promo 2004;2(1):127-134.
- Lee IM, Shiroma EJ. Effect of physical inactivity on major non communicable diseases worldwide: an analysis of burden of disease and life expectancy .The Lancet 2012, vol. 380(9838):219-229.
- Morehouse and Miller, physiology of Exercise 5:269,1967
- Tongprasert S, Wattanapan P. Aerobic capacity of fifth year medical students at chiangmai university. J Med Assoc Thai. 2007; 90(7): 1411-6.
- Larry DJ, Gordon B, Wang Z, Luo X. Chronic disease and the link to physical activity.journal of Health and Sports Science.?2013:2(1):3-11
- Ji CY,?Ma J,?Zhang B,?Zhao DC,?Hu PJ,?Xing Y. Step-test on surveillance of students physical fitness and health, Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi XueZaZhi.2005;39(6):376-9
- Sengupta P, Sahoo S. A fitness assessment study among young fishermen of coastal areas of East Midnapore District of West Bengal, India South East Asia Journal of Public Health 2011;1:28-34.
- Yadav N, Shete AN, Khan ST. Cardiorespiratory fitness in first year MBBS students, Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research.2015:4(3)63-68
[Prashant P, Pal S, Rohilla R and Dokwal S. (2018); STUDY OF CARDIOVASCULAR ENDURANCE IN NEWLY ADMITTED MEDICAL STUDENTS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 6 (12). 205-210] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8132 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8132
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.