SATISFACTION OF PATIENTS ADMITTED TO AL.IMAMAIN AL.KADHIMAIN TEACHING HOSPITAL WITH QUALITY OF HEALTH CARE SERVICES.
- Department of Family and Community Medicine, Al-Nahrain University/ College of Medicine, Baghdad, Iraq.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Introduction: In the modern open and multiple choices world, provision of high quality services and improvement of patients\' conviction are becoming a critical objective to avoid patients\' transfer to another health care provider. Thus, patients\' satisfaction becomes crucial to the long-term success and profitability of health care organizations. Objective: To explore satisfaction of patients with service quality in Al.ImamainAl.Kadimain teaching hospital by the use of serviqual model; and to identify factors that may influence this satisfaction, mainly patients\' characteristics & clinical setting. Method: This is a cross-sectional study with an analytic element, carried out in Al.ImamainAl.Kadhimain teaching hospital, Baghdad-Iraq; during period of March through April, 2017. It involved patients admitted to internal medicine, gynecology, and surgery departments of hospital. The study relied on conducting face to face interviews using SERVQUAL questionnaire. This tool assessed service quality in five dimensions(tangibility, reliability, assistance, safety, and empathy). Results: The study involved 400 patients. The majority of participants was women (61.0%), young (57.8%), housewives (56.0%) and did not complete secondary education level (≃80%). The overall service quality score was (4.237?0.649). The scores of various dimensions were: tangibility (3.751?0.709), reliability (4.386?0.775), assistance (4.348?0.810), safety (4.498?0.718) and empathy (4.204?0.850). Factors found to be associated significantly with patients\' satisfaction for services quality were education (p=0.003), occupation (p=0.004) and mode of admission to hospital (p=0.022). Conclusion: This study revealed that patients in Al.ImamainAl.Kadmain teaching hospital perceived service quality as satisfactory when estimated by SERVQUAL model. The dimensions which have relatively low scores are tangibility and empathy. Those patients who were satisfied with quality of health care services are more likely to advice other people to use hospital services.
- Elliot D. Defining the relationship between health and well-being in bioethics. The New Bioethics. 2016;22(1):4-17.
- Pillai KR, Kumari A. Patients? perception on service quality of hospital. International Journal of Management and Applied Science. 2016;2(5):80-84.
- Ramsaran-Fowdar RR. The relative importance of service dimensions in a healthcare setting. Int J Health Care QualAssur. 2008;21(1):104-24.
- Salmond SW, Echevarria M. Healthcare transformation and changing roles for nursing.?OrthopNurs. 2017;36(1):12-25..
- Rice T. The behavioral economics of health and health care. Annu Rev Public Health. 2013;34:431-47..
- Andaleeb SS. Service quality perceptions and patient satisfaction: a study of hospitals in a developing country. Social Science & Medicine. 2001;52(9):1359-70.
- Pakdil F, Harwood TN. Patient satisfaction in a preoperative assessment clinic: an analysis using SERVQUAL dimensions. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence. 2005;16(1):15-30.
- Akhade GN, Jaju SB, Lakhe RR. Healthcare service quality dimensions in various countries. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science. 2016; 5(3):70-76.
- AmjeriyaD ,Malviya RK. Measurement of service quality in healthcare organization. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology. 2012;1(8):1-18.
- Rashid WE, Jusoff HK. Service quality in health care setting. Int J Health Care QualAssur. 2009;22(5):471-82.
- Izard M. Iraq: putting the health-care system back on its feet[Internet]. International Committee of Red Cross. Updated on 29-07-2010 [cited 22 April 2017]. https://www.icrc.org/eng/resources/documents/update/iraq-update-290710.htm.
- Tirman J. How Will We Remember Operation Iraqi Freedom?[Internet]. Washington Spectator 2011. Published on 15-11-2011 [cited 10 December 2018]. https://washingtonspectator.org/how-will-we-remember-operation-iraqi-freedom.
- BS Ajarmah, TN Hashem. Patient satisfaction evaluation on hospitals; comparison study between accredited and non-accredited hospitals in Jordan.European Scientific Journal. 2015;11(32):298 ? 314.
- Peprah AA, Atarah BA. Assessing patient?s satisfaction using SERVQUAL model: A case of sunyani regional hospital, Ghana. International Journal of Business and Social Research (IJBSR). 2014; 4(2): 133 ? 143.
- Suifan TS.Quality of health services provided to Iraqis at Jordan red crescent health centers. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration. 2010; 2 (1): 35-43
- Lam SSK. Servqual: A tool for measuring patients\' opinion of hospital service quality in Hong Kong. Total Quality Management. 1997; 8(4): 53-71.
- Lim PC, Tang NKH. A study of patients\' expectation and satisfaction in Singapore hospitals. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance. 2000; 13: 290-299.
- Purcarea VL, Gheorghea IR, Petrescub CM. The assessment of perceived service quality of public health care services in Romania using the SERVQUAL scale. Procedia Economics and Finance. 2013; 6: 573 ? 585.
- Parasuraman AVA, Zeithaml LL. A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. J Marketing. 1985;49:41-50.
- Boshoff C, Gray B. The relationship between service quality, customer satisfaction and buying intentions in the private hospital industry. S Afr J Bus Manag. 2004; 35(4):27-37.
- Sohail SM. Service quality in hospitals: more favorable than you might think. ManagServ Qual. 2003;13(3):197-206.
- Tam J. \"Linking quality improvement with patient satisfaction: a study of a health service centre\". Marketing Intelligence & Planning. 2007; 25(7): 732- 745.
- Priporas C, Laspa C, Kamenidou I. Patient satisfaction measurement for in-hospital services: A pilot study in Greece. Journal of Medical Marketing. 2008; 8(4): 325?340.
- Alrubaiee L, Alkaa\'ida F. The Mediating Effect of Patient Satisfaction in the Patients\'Perceptions of Healthcare Quality ? Patient Trust Relationship. International Journal of Marketing Studies. 2011; 3(1): 103 ? 127.
- Mummalaneni V, Gopalakrishna P. Mediators vs. Moderators of patient satisfaction. Journal of Health Care Marketing. 1995; 15(4): 16-22.
- Mohebifar R, Hasani H, Barikani A, Rafie S. Evaluating service quality from patients? perceptions: Application of importance - performance analysis method. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2016; 7(4):233-8.
- Mecev D, Gole? IK. Primary healthcare service quality measurement: SERVIQUAL scale. EkonomskiVjesnik/ Econviews. 2015: 1: 161-177.
[Berq J. Hadi Al-Yasseri. (2019); SATISFACTION OF PATIENTS ADMITTED TO AL.IMAMAIN AL.KADHIMAIN TEACHING HOSPITAL WITH QUALITY OF HEALTH CARE SERVICES. Int. J. of Adv. Res. (1). 165-173] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Al-Nahrain University/ College of Medicine, Baghdad, Iraq.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8309 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8309
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.