- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
SMEs in Bangladesh contributes a significant part in country?s total GDP and largest sector in employment, overall economic development and infrastructural development, so the performance of these SMEs is very crucial for the country. Therefore, this study aimed to identify the relationship between strategic management practices and the performance of SMEs operating in Bangladesh. Three variables (strategy formulation, strategy implementation, and strategy evaluation) were developed from the existing literature. Hypotheses were tested by using statistical software (SPSS). Correlation and regression analysis revealed a significant positive correlation between variables. Result indicated all three variables (strategy formulation, strategy implementation, strategy evaluation) and overall strategic management practices are statistically significant with the performance of SMEs in Bangladesh. Policy recommendation, practical application were discussed and future implication of the research direction were recommended.
- Abdin, M. J. (2018). Role of SME clusters in Bangladesh economy, theindependent. Retrieved from http://www.theindependentbd.com/printversion/details/143490
- Alchian, A. A., & Demsetz, H. (1972). Production, information costs, and economic organization. The American economic review, 62(5), 777-795.
- Barney, J. B. (1995). Looking inside for competitive advantage. Academy of Management Perspectives, 9(4), 49-61.
- Burnes, B. (2004). Managing change: A strategic approach to organisational dynamics: Pearson Education.
- Carton, R. B. (2004). Measuring organizational performance: An exploratory study. University of Georgia.
- Chong, H. G. (2008). Measuring performance of small-and-medium sized enterprises: the grounded theory approach. Journal of Business and Public affairs, 2(1), 1-10.
- Covin, J. G., & Slevin, D. P. (1989). Strategic management of small firms in hostile and benign environments.
- Strategic management journal, 10(1), 75-87.
- Dansoh, A. (2005). Strategic planning practice of construction firms in Ghana. Construction Management and Economics, 23(2), 163-168.
- David, F. R., & David, F. R. (2003). Concepts & cases.
- Dess, G. G., Lumpkin, G. T., & Eisner, A. B. (2003). Strategic management: Creating competitive advantages.
- Massachusetts: McGraw-Hill/Irwin.
- Dharmasiri, A. S. (2009). Strategic orientation of HR managers in commercial banks in South Asia. International Review of Business Research Papers, 5(6), 121.
- Fink, K., & Ploder, C. (2009). Knowledge management toolkit for SMEs. International Journal of Knowledge Management (IJKM), 5(1), 46-60.
- George, D., & Mallery, P. (2010). SPSS for Windows step by step: A simple guide and reference, 17.0 update: Boston: Pearson.
- Gomezelj Omerzel, D., & Antončič, B. (2008). Critical entrepreneur knowledge dimensions for the SME
- Industrial Management & Data Systems, 108(9), 1182-1199.
- Herrmann, T., Brandt-Herrmann, G., & Jahnke, I. (2007). Work Process Oriented Introduction of Knowledge
- Management: Reconsidering the Guidelines for SME. Paper presented at the Proceedings of I-Know.
- HUNGER, D., & J WHEELEN, T. L.(2007). Essentials of Strategic Management.
- Johnson, G., Scholes, K., & Whittington, R. (2008). Exploring corporate strategy: text & cases: Pearson education.
- Kass, R. E. (1990). Nonlinear regression analysis and its applications. Journal of the American Statistical
- Association, 85(410), 594-596.
- Keskin, H. (2006). Market orientation, learning orientation, and innovation capabilities in SMEs: An extended
- European Journal of innovation management, 9(4), 396-417.
- Kim, H.-Y. (2013). Statistical notes for clinical researchers: assessing normal distribution (2) using skewness and kurtosis. Restorative dentistry & endodontics, 38(1), 52-54.
- Kreikebaum, H. (1993). Strategic Planning: Berlin: Kohlhammer.
- Lawal, F. M., Elizabeth, O. O., & Oludayo, O. (2012). Effect of strategic issue management on organisational
- Transnational Journal of Science and Technology, 2(10), 17-29.
- Montgomery, D. C., Peck, E. A., & Vining, G. G. (2012). Introduction to linear regression analysis (Vol. 821): John Wiley & Sons.
- Mowla, G. (2018). Industries sector driving record GDP growth, DhakaTribune. Retrieved from https://www.dhakatribune.com/business/2018/04/08/industries-sector-driving-record-gdp-growth
- Ngui, T. K. (2015). Effect of human resource management strategies on performance of commercial banks in
- Njeru, E. (2015). Strategic management practices and performance of small and medium sized enterprises in Kenya.
- Unpublished MBA Project.
- Otieno, M. (2013). Strategic Issue Management Practices by Small and Medium Enterprises in Mombasa County, Kenya. University of Nairobi.
- Pillania, R. K. (2008). Strategic issues in knowledge management in small and medium enterprises. Knowledge
- Management Research & Practice, 6(4), 334-338.
- Pistrui, D., Huang, W. V., Welsch, H. P., & Jing, Z. (2006). 25 Family and cultural forces: shaping entrepreneurship and SME development in China. Handbook of research on family business, 460.
- Quinn, J. B., Mintzberg, H., & James, R. M. (1991). The strategic process. Concept, context, cases. New York Irwin.
- Sandberg, W. R., & Hofer, C. W. (1987). Improving new venture performance: The role of strategy, industry structure, and the entrepreneur. Journal of Business venturing, 2(1), 5-28.
- Schmidt, F. L., & Hunter, J. E. (2014). Methods of meta-analysis: Correcting error and bias in research findings: Sage publications.
- Schraeder, M. (2002). A simplified approach to strategic planning: Practical considerations and an illustrated example. Business process management journal, 8(1), 8-18.
- Terziovski, M., & Samson, D. (2000). The effect of company size on the relationship between TQM strategy and organisational performance. The TQM magazine, 12(2), 144-149.
- Thompson, A. A., Strickland, A. J., & Gamble, J. E. (2007). Crafting and executing strategy. The quest for competitive advantage. Concepts and cases. 15th edition, New York, NY.
- Wang, C., Walker, E., & Redmond, J. (2007). Explaining the lack of strategic planning in SMEs: The importance of owner motivation.
- Wanjiku, L. N. (2009). An investigation into management strategies affecting performance of micro, small and medium enterpises (MSMEs) in Kenya.
- Wheelen, T. L., Hunger, J. D., Hoffman, A. N., & Bamford, C. E. (2017). Strategic management and business policy: pearson.
[Mohammad Ali and Wang Qun. (2019); STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT PRACTICES AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SME S IN BANGLADESH. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (1). 69-78] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Business School, Hohai University, Nanjing, China
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8298 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8298
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.