TRANSCUTANEOUS ELECTRICAL POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE STIMULATION FOR CHRONIC ANAL FISSURE: A PRELIMINARY STUDY.
- Professor of general surgery faculty of medicine Banha University.
- Lecturer of general surgery faculty of medicine Banha Universit.
- Specialist of general and laparoscopic surgery.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Purpose:Recent studies showed that sacral nervestimulation might be an effective treatment option forchronic anal fissure. We aimed to evaluate the efficacy oftranscutaneous electrical nerve stimulation as a noninvasivealternative treatment for chronic anal fissure bystimulating the sacral nerve in the ankle via the posteriortibial nerve. Method: In this prospective study, transcutaneouselectrical nerve stimulation was applied for 20 minevery day for 5 days in a week, for a period of 2weeks in addition to conventional medical treatment intwenty patients. Wexner\'s constipation score, visualanalog scale for pain, symptom relief, compliance,fissure healing, and side effects were evaluated before andafter treatment (days 0, 10, and 30). Results: Twenty patients (fifteen females/five males) witha mean age of 34.75?11.42 years were enrolled in thestudy. The improvement of symptoms after the fifth dayof treatment was seen in 5 patients, and mucosal healingwas observed in fourteen patients 30 days after thetreatment. Wexner\'s constipation and visual analog scalescores for pain decreased significantly (p=0.000 andp =0.000, respectively). Two patients underwent surgeryat follow-up due to persistence of symptoms, andlateral sphincterotomy was done. Conclusions: Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation applicationto the posterior tibial nerve has the potential to bean alternative treatment option for chronic anal fissure patientswho seek noninvasive treatment modality.
- Barton J (2002) Nitroglycerin and lidocaine topical treatment foranal fissure. RxTriad 5(4):1?2
- Poh A, Tan KY, Choen FS (2010) Innovations in chronic analfissure treatment: a systematic review. World J GastrointestSurg2(7):231?241
- Yakovlev A, Karasev SA, Dolgich OY (2011) Sacral nerve stimulation: a novel treatment of chronic anal fissure. Dis Colon Rectum54:324?327
- Nelson RL, Thomas K, Morgan J, Jones A (2012) Non-surgicaltherapy for anal fissure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2:CD003431,Review. PubMed PMID:22336789
- Nelson RL, Chattopadhyay A, BrooksW, Platt I, Paavana T, Earl S(2011) Operative procedures for fissure in ano. Cochrane DatabaseSyst Rev 9(11):CD002199, Review. PubMed PMID: 22071803
- Patti R, Territo V, Aiello P, Angelo GL, DiVita G (2012) Manometricevaluation of internal anal sphincter after fissurectomy andanoplasty for chronic anal fissure: a prospective study. Am Surg78(5):523?527
- Schornagel IL, Witvliet M, Engel AF (2012) Five-year results offissurectomy for chronic anal fissure: low recurrence rate andminimal effect on continence. Colorectal Dis 14(8):997?1000
- Abramowitz L, Bouchard D, Souffran M et al (2013) Sphincter sparinganal-fissure surgery: a 1-year prospective, observational,multicenter study of fissurectomy with anoplasty. Colorectal Dis15(3):359?367
- khubchandani IT, Reed JF (May 1989):
- ?Sequelae of internal sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure in ano?. Br J Surg. 76 (5): 431-4.
- Casillas S, Hull TL, Zutshi M, Trzcinski R, Bast JF, Xu M (2005)Incontinence after a lateral internal sphincterotomy: are weunderestimating it? Dis Colon Rectum 48(6):1193?1199
- Renzi A, Izzo D, Di Sarno G et al (2008) Clinical, manometric, andultrasonographic results of pneumatic balloon dilatation vs. lateralinternal sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure: a prospective,randomized, controlled trial. Dis Colon Rectum 51(1):121?127
- Shao WJ, Li GC, Zhang ZK (2009) Systematic review and metaanalysisof randomized controlled trials comparing botulinum toxininjection with lateral internal sphincterotomy for chronic anal fissure.Int J Colorectal Dis 24(9):995?1000
- Sinha R, Kaiser AM (2012) Efficacy of management algorithm forreducing need for sphincterotomy in chronic anal fissures. Colorectal Dis 14(6):760?764
- Schreiner L, dos Santos TG, Knorst MR, da Silva Filho IG (2010) Randomized trial of transcutaneous tibial nerve stimulation to treat urgeurinary incontinence in older women. IntUrogynecol J 21(9):1065?1070
- Queralto M, Portier G, Cabarrot PH et al (2006) Preliminary resultsof peripheral transcutaneous neuromodulation in the treatment of idiopathic fecal incontinence. Int J Colorectal Dis 21:670?672
- Veronique V, Henri D, Sabine R, Francois M (2010) Transcutaneouselectrical posterior tibial nerve stimulation for faecal incontinence: effects on symptoms and quality of life. Int J Colorectal Dis25:1017?1020
- Agachan F, Chen T, Pfeifer J, Reissman P, Wexner SD (1996) Aconstipation scoring system to simplify evaluation and management of constipated patients. Dis Colon Rectum 39:681?685
- Yakovlev A, Karasev SA (2010) Successful treatment of chronicanal fissure utilizing sacral nerve stimulation. Wisconsin MedicalJournal 109(5):279?281
- Melzack R, Wall PD (1965) Pain mechanisms: a new theory.Science 150:971?975
- Kathleen A (2003) TENS basic science mechanisms and clinicaleffectiveness. J Pain 4:109?121
- Papanicolaou GD, McCabe SJ, Firrell J (2001) The prevalence and characteristics of nerve compression symptoms in the general population.J Hand Surg Am 26:460?466
- Schouten WR, Briel JW, Auwerda JJ (1994) Relationship betweenanal pressure and anodermal blood flow: the vascular pathogenesisof anal fissures. Dis Colon Rectum 37:664?669
- George AT, Kalmar K, Sala S et al (2013) Randomized controlledtrial of percutaneous versus transcutaneous posterior tibial nerve stimulation in faecal incontinence. Br J Surg 100:330?338
- George AT, Vaizey CJ (2013) Percutaneous posterior tibial nervestimulation for fecal incontinence: are we all reading from the samepage? Dis Colon Rectum 56: e328?e329
- Mentes BB, Y?ksel O, Aydin A, Tezcaner T, Leventoglu A, Ayta?B (2007) Posterior tibial nerve stimulation for faecal incontinenceafter partial spinal injury: preliminary report. Tech Coloproctol 11:115?119
- van der Pal F, van Balken MR, Heesakkers JP, Debruyne FM,Bemelmans BL (2006) Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation inthe treatment of refractory overactive bladder syndrome: is maintenancetreatment necessary? BJU Int 97:547?550
- Nuhoglu B, Fidan V, Ayyildis A, Ersoy E, Germiyanoglu C (2006)Stoller afferent nerve stimulation in woman with therapy resistantover active bladder; a 1-year follow-up. IntUrogynecol J17:204?207
- Thorsteinsson G, Stonnington HH, Stilwell GK et al (1978) Theplacebo effect of transcutaneous electrical stimulation. Pain 5:31?41
- Vaizey CJ, Kamm MA, Roy AJ, Nicholls RJ (2004) Double-blindcrossover study of sacral nerve stimulation for fecal incontinence.Dis Colon Rectum 43:298?302
- Madalinski MH (2011) Identifying the best therapy for chronic analfissure. World J GastrointestPharmacolTher 2(2):9 16.
[Hany Salah El Den Tawfik, Emad Mustafa Abd El Hafez, Ahmad Mustafa Nawar and Mikel Botros Labib. (2019); TRANSCUTANEOUS ELECTRICAL POSTERIOR TIBIAL NERVE STIMULATION FOR CHRONIC ANAL FISSURE: A PRELIMINARY STUDY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (3). 10-17] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
BANHA MEDICAL SCHOOL
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8592 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8592
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.