PREVALENCE OF SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN AL BAHA REGION IN (KSA).
- Psychiatry consultant inBalgurashi mental hospital .Assistant of the general director for hospitals affairs in ministry of health .Kingdome of Saudi Arabia.
- Lecturer of psychiatry, AL-AzharUniversity , faculty of medicine ,psychiatry department ,Cairo ,Egypt.
- (Psychiatrist) Balgurashi mental hospital.Kingdome of Saudi Arabia.
- (psychologist) Balgurashi mental hospital+ medical services in AL Baha directorate of health affairs. medical services in AL Baha directorate of health affairs.Kingdome of Saudi Arabia.
- (psychologist) Aqiq General hospital.Kingdome of Saudi Arabia.
- Balgurashi mental hospital. Kingdome of Saudi Arabia.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background:Social phobia is anxiety disorders manifested by a significant amount of fear in social situations, associated with distress and impaired ability to function in the daily life. Objective and Methods: The present study aimed at : (1) estimating the prevalence of social anxiety disorder in secondary school students in a geographically defined population, in Baha area using two scales Rewitie scale of social anxiety and severity scale for social anxiety (2) determine risk factor which may be significant . our survey study covered 6 cities , 31 schools and 1316 students .the sample taken was 1030 students .5 of them didn?t complete the study.sotho total number is 1025. Result : the total positive sample was 21.8 % . there is highly statistically significant association between birth order, place of residenceand social anxiety. Conclusion:there is a high percentage of secondary school students diagnosed with social anxiety disorder (using the mentioned scales) indicating the importance of the problem in Baha region for further researches behind the causes .
- Marks, I. M., &?Gelder, H. G. (1965). A controlled retrospective study of behavior therapy in phobic patients. The British Journal of Psychiatry, 111(476), 561-573.
- World Health Organization.?(1993).?The ICD-10 classification of mental and behaviouraldisorders : diagnostic criteria for research.?Geneva : World Health Organization.?http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/37108.
- American Psychiatric Association. (2000). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders, (4th ed., text revision). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Association.
- Kessler RC, Berglund P, Demler O, Jin R, Merikangas KR, Walters EE. (2005a) Lifetime prevalence and age-of-onset distributions of DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.?Archives of General Psychiatry.?;62(6):593?602.?DOI: 10.1001/archpsyc.62.6.593. [PubMed]
- Kessler RC, Chiu WT, Demler O, Merikangas KR, Walters EE. (2005b) Prevalence, severity, and comorbidity of 12-month DSM-IV disorders in the National Comorbidity Survey Replication.?Archives of General Psychiatry.?;62(6):617?627.?DOI: 10.1001/archpsyc.62.6.617.
- Grant BF, Hasin DS, Blanco C, Stinson FS, Chou SP, Goldstein RB, et al.?The epidemiology of social anxiety disorder in the United States: (2005) Results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions.?J Clin Psychiatry [Internet].;66(11):1351?61.
- Fehm L, Wittchen HU. 2004. Comorbidity in social anxiety disorder., Stein DJ, editors. Social Anxiety Disorder. New York: Marcel Dekker; p. 49‑63.9.
- Katzman MA, Bleau P, Blier P, Chokka P, Kjernisted K, et al., (2014) Canadian Anxiety Guidelines Initiative Group on Behalf of the Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada/Association Canadienne des Troubles Anxieux and McGill University, et al. Canadian clinical practice guidelines for the management of anxiety, posttraumatic stress and obsessive‑compulsive disorders. BMC Psychiatry;14 Suppl 1:S1.
- P?lissolo A, Huron C, Fanget F, Servant D, Stiti S, Richard‑Berthe C, et al. (2006 ) Clinical and therapeutic characteristics of social phobia in French psychiatry (Phoenix study). Encephale;32 (1 Pt 1):106‑12.
- Fehm L, Pelissolo A, Furmark T, Wittchen HU. ( 2005) Size and burden of social phobia in Europe. Eur europsychopharmacol.;15:453‑62.
- Risal, A. and Tharoor, H. (2012). Birth Order and Psychopathology, Original Article, Volume: 1?, Issue: 2?, 137-140.
- Al‑Gelban KS. (2007 ) Depression, anxiety and stress among Saudi adolescent school boys. J R Soc PromotHealth;127:33‑7.
- Mahfouz AA, Al‑Gelban KS, Al Amri H, Khan MY, Abdelmoneim I, Daffalla AA, et al. (2009) Adolescents? mental health in Abha city, southwestern Saudi Arabia. Int J Psychiatry Med;39:169‑77.
- Abdel‑Fattah MM, Asal AM, Al‑Asmary SM, Al‑Helali NS, Al‑Jabban TM, et al.,. (2004) Emotional and behavioral problems among male Saudi schoolchildren and adolescents prevalence and risk factors. Ger J Psychiatry;1:1‑9.
- Bassiony MM. (2005) Social anxiety disorder and depression in Saudi Arabia. Depress Anxiety;21:90‑4.
[Abdullah AlSoheimi, Mohamed Abouzed, Ibrahim Dawod, Gebreil Kamal, Abdullah modan, Abdullah hader, Mofareh Zahrani, Fares ali Abdullah al ghamdi, Aedhomoud and Saed Soliman. (2019); PREVALENCE OF SOCIAL ANXIETY DISORDER AMONG SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS IN AL BAHA REGION IN (KSA). Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (2). 301-305] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Psychiatry consultant in Balgurashi mental hospital
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8488 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8488
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.