VARYING THE LEVEL OF CHILI CONCENTRATION FOR QUALITY IMPROVEMENT OF VACUUM-FRIED TAHONG (Perna viridis L.) CHIPS.
- Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Education and Extension, Visayas State University, Visca, Baybay City, Leyte Philippines.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The study was carried out to develop a spicy-flavored vacuum-fried tahong chips using different levels of chili. Specifically, the study developed process flow for vacuum-fried tahong chips, determined the effects of chili on the sensory properties of the product an determined the production cost of the product. Findings showed that increasing the level of chili used in processing the product by 1% can significantly affect the taste and general acceptability of the product but not the color, crispness, flavor and texture of the product. The use of 4% chili obtains higher product acceptability compared to using only 3%. About Php51.00 is required to produce 50 grams of spicy-flavored vacuum fried tahong chips. Other variables such as level of sugar and vacuum frying time should be looked into for future studies.
- Agard J., Kishore R., and B. Bayne. 1992.?Pernaviridis(Linnaeus, 1758): First record of the Indo-Pacific green mussel (Mollusca: Bivalvia) In the Caribbean. Caribbean Marine Studies 3:59-60.
- Granda, R. G. Moreira, and S. E. Tichy. 2004. ?Reduction of acrylamide formation in potato chips by low-temperature vacuum frying,??Journal of Food Science, vol. 69, no. 8, pp. E405?E411
- Garayo, J. and R. Moreira. ?Vacuum frying of potato chips,??Journal of Food
- Engineering, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. 181?191
- Mabesa, L. 1986. Sensory Evaluation of Foods: Principles and Methods. University of the Philippines at Los Ba?os College, Laguna
- Moreira R. 2010. ?Frying: Vacuum?. Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering, Second ed. 1.1 (2010): 693-696.
- Nagpala, E. ? ?A fresh look at siling labuyo.?BAR Chronicle?8(10). Retrieved 2009-10-22
- F. da Silva and R. G. Moreira. 2008. ?Vacuum frying of high-quality fruit and vegetable-based snacks,??LWT?Food Science and Technology, vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1758?1767
- Sitoy, H., Young, A. and M. Tabbu.? ? Raft culture of Mussels.? SEAFDEC/AQD Institutional Repository (SAIR)? Manual.? ISSN ? 0115-5369
- -L. Shyu, L.-B. Hau, and L. S. Hwang, ?Effect of vacuum frying on the oxidative stability of oils,??Journal of the American Oil Chemists\' Society, vol. 75, no. 10, pp. 1393?1398, 1998
[Karen Luz Teves. (2019); VARYING THE LEVEL OF CHILI CONCENTRATION FOR QUALITY IMPROVEMENT OF VACUUM-FRIED TAHONG (Perna viridis L.) CHIPS. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (3). 88-92] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/8604 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/8604
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.