THE EFFECT OF COACHING ON COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE: THE MEDIATING ROLE OF HUMAN CAPITAL.
- Higher School of Economic and Commercial Sciences, Laboratory RIGUEUR, University of Tunis, Tunisia.
- Higher Institute of Accounting and Business Administration, LaboratoryRIGUEUR, University of Manouba, Tunis, Tunisia.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The direct relationship between coaching and competitive advantage has been studied without identifying mechanisms that can explain it. Based on the resource approach, we have proposed to study the human capital as mediator in the relationship between coaching and competitive advantage. Indeed, this approach considers the intangible resources to be more highly valued than the tangible resourcesand the sustainable competitive advantage to be anchored in the efficient channeling of human capital. The objective of this research is to visualize the existing relationship between coaching and human capital and between human capital and competitive advantage and to infer the mediating effect of human capital in this relationship. Our empirical study has been conducted with 127 coached managers in companies operating in the telecommunications sector in Tunisia. The results have shown that the relationship between coaching and competitive advantage is not direct and is fully mediated by the human capital.
- Awwad, A.S. (2011): The influence of tactical flexibilities on the competitive advantage of a firm: an empirical study on Jordanian industrial companies: International Journal of Business and Management., 6 (1):45-60.
- Barney, J. (1991): Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage: Journal of Management, 17(1)., 99-120.
- Baron, R.M. and Kenny, D.A. (1986): The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations: Journal of personality and social Psychology., 51(6):1173-1182.
- Bartlett, C.A. and Ghoshal S. (2002): Building competitive advantage through people: Sloan Management Review.,43 (2), 34-41.
- Bontis, N. (1998): Intellectual capital: an exploratory study that develops measures and models: Management Decision., 36 (2), 63-76.
- Cater, T. and Cater, B. (2009): Intangible resources as antecedents of a company?s competitive advantage and performance: Journal for East European Management Studies., 14 (2), 186-209.
- Diaz-Fernandez, M., Pasamar-Reyes, S. and Valle-Cabrera, R. (2017): Human capital and human resource management to achieve ambidextrous learning: a structural perspective: Business Research Quarterly., 20 (1), 63-77.
- Ellinger, A.D. and Kim, S. (2014): Coaching and Human Resource Development: Examining Relevant Theories, Coaching Genres, and Scales to Advance Research and Practice: Advances in Developing Human Resources., 16 (2), 127-138.
- Fulmer, I.S. and Ployhart, R.E. (2014): Our most important asset: a multidisciplinary/multilevel review of human capital valuation for research and practice: Journal of Management., 40(1), 161-192.
- Hatch, N.W. and Dyer, J. H. (2004): Human capital and learning as a source of sustainable competitive advantage: Strategic Management Journal., 25 (12), 1155-1178.
- H?vin, B. and Turner, J. (2003), Manuel de coaching, Dunod.
- Joo, B., McLean, G.N.and Yang, B. (2013): Creativity and Human Resource Development: An Integrative Literature Review and a Conceptual Framework for Future Research: Human Resource Development Review., 12 (4), 390-421.
- Kombarakaran, F.A., Yang, J.A., Baker, M.N. and Fernandes, P.B. (2008): Executive coaching, Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research., 60 (1), pp78-90.
- Lin, H.E., McDonough, E.F., Yang, J. and Wang, C. (2016): Aligning knowledge assets for exploitaton, exploration, and ambidexterity: a study of companies in high-tech parks in China: Journal of Product Innovation Management., 34 (2), 122-140.
- Moral, M and Henrichfreise, S. (2018): Coaching?d'organisation: outils et pratiques:InterEditions
- MacKinnon, D.P., Fairchild, A.J. and Fritz, M.S. (2007): Mediation analysis: Annual Review of Psychology., 58, 593-614.
- Maltbia, T.E., Marsick, V.J. and Ghosh, R. (2014): Executive and organizational coaching: A review of insights drawn from literature to inform HRD practice: Advances in Developing Human Resources, 16 (2), 161-183.
- Mon?di, C. and Mouterde, S. (2009): Coacher et ?tre coacher enentreprise: Nathan.
- Ramezan, M. (2011): Intellectual capital and organizational organic structure in knowledge society: How are these concepts related?:International Journal of Information Management., 31, 88-95.
- Rosha, A. (2014): Peculiarities of manifestation of coaching in organizations: Procedia- Social and Behavioral Sciences, 110, 852-860.
- Roussel, P., Durrieu, F., Campoy, E. and El Akremi, A. (2002):M?thodesd?EquationsStructurelles:Recherche et Applications enGestion:Economica
- Silva, P. and Cooray, R. (2014): Building human capital in organizations through corporate social responsibility-a holistic coaching approach: Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences., 159, 753-758.
- Tovstiga, G. and Tulugorova, E. (2009): Intellectual capital practices: a four-region comparative study: Journal of Intellectual Capital, 10 (1), 70-80.
- Trenner, L. (2013): Business coaching for information professionals: Why it offers such good value for money in today's economic climate: Business Information Review., 13 (1), 27-34.
- Vargas- Hernandez, J. and Nozuri, M. (2010): How intellectual capital and learning organization can foster organizational competitiveness?:International Journal of Business and Management., 5 (4), 183-193.
- Vidal Salazar, M.D., Ferr?nVilchez, V. and Cord?nPozo, E. (2012):?Coaching: an effective practice for business competitiveness:Competitiveness Review., 22 (5), 423-433.
- Wright, P., Macmahan, G. and Macwilliams, A. (1994): Human resources and sustained competitive advantage: a resource-based perspective: International Journal of Human Resource Management., 5 (2), 301-326.
- Wright, P.M., Coff, R. and Moliterno T.P. (2014): Strategic Human Capital: Crossing the Great Divide: Journal of Management, 40, (2), 353-370.
[Ines Jedidi and Afef Belghith. (2019); THE EFFECT OF COACHING ON COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE: THE MEDIATING ROLE OF HUMAN CAPITAL. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (Jul). 156-162] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Higher School of Economic and Commercial Sciences, Tunis, University of Tunis
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9339 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9339
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.