IMPORTANCE OF AMMONIUM MOLYBDATE TEST IN ALUMINIUM PHOSPHIDE POISONING: A CASE STUDY.
- Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, LTM Medical College, Sion, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
- AssistantProfessor, Department of Biochemistry, LTM Medical College, Sion, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
- Professor & Head, Department of Biochemistry, LTM Medical College, Sion, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Suicidal tendencies are one of the major social problems worldwide. It is equally seen in Indian population. Aluminum phosphide (AlP) ishighly toxic pesticide which is commonly used for grain preservation. Poisoning with AlP has usually occurred in attempts to suicide. It is a more common case in adults rather than teenagers. In some eastern countries it is a very common agent with rapid action for suicide. Up to date, there is no effective antidote or treatment for its intoxication. Silver nitrate filter paper test is a simple test for early diagnosis of Aluminum phosphide poisoning. But for confirmation Ammonium Molybdate is confirmatory test.
- Wahab A, Rabbani MU, Wahab S, Khan RA. Spontaneous self-ignition in a case of acute aluminium phosphide poisoning. Am J Emerg Med. 2009; 27:752?756.
- Chopra JS, Kalra OP, Malik VS, Sharma R, Chandna A. Aluminium phosphide poisoning: a prospective study of 16 cases in one year. Postgrad Med J. 1986; 62:1113?1115.
- Krishan Vij. Textbook of forensic medicine and toxicology, principles and practice.2nded. New Delhi. B. I. Churchill Livingstone Pvt. Ltd. Section II chapter 14.
- K.S. Narayan Reddy. The essentials of forensic medicine and toxicology. 22nded. Hyderabad. K Suguna Devi. Chapter 25.
- V. Pillay. Handbook of forensic medicine and toxicology. 13thed. Hyderabad. Paras Publisher. pp 342.
- Basic analytical toxicology, international programme on chemical safety. World HealthOrganization, Geneva. 1995. pp 206.
- T.D.Dogra, Lt. Col. Abhijit rudra editors. Lyon?s medical jurisprudence and toxicology. 11thed. New Delhi. Delhi law house. pp 1308.
- Khosla SN, Nand N, Khosla P. Aluminium phosphide poisoning. J Trop Med Hyg. 1988; 91:196?198.
- Mital HS, Mehrotra TN, Dwivedi KK, Gera M. A study of aluminium phosphide poisoning with special reference to its spot diagnosis by silver nitrate test. J Assoc Physicians India. 1992; 40:473?474.
- Demange M, Elcabache JM, Grzebyk M. et al. Phosphine sampling and analysis using silver nitrate impregnated filters. J Environ Monit. 2000; 2:476?482. doi: 10.1039/b001990i.
- Carlson M, Thompson RD. Determination of phosphine residues in whole grains and soybeans by ion chromatography via conversion to phosphate. J AOAC Int. 1998; 81:1190?1201.
- Gras R, Luong J, Hawryluk M, Monagle M. Analysis of part-per-billion level of arsine and phosphine in light hydrocarbons by capillary flow technology and dielectric barrier discharge detector. J Chromatogr A. 2009; 1217:348?352.
- Norman KN, Leonard K. Gas chromatography?mass spectrometry determination of phosphine residues in stored products and processed foods. J Agric Food Chem. 2000; 48:4066?4070.
- Roels J, Van Langenhove H, Verstraete W. Determination of phosphine in biogas and sludge at ppt-levels with gas chromatography-thermionic specific detection. J Chromatogr A. 2002; 952:229?237.
- Musshoff F, Preuss J, Lignitz E, Madea B. A gas chromatographic analysis of phosphine in biological material in a case of suicide. Forensic Sci Int. 2008; 177:e35?38.
- Chan LT, Crowley RJ, Delliou D, Geyer R. Phosphine analysis in post mortem specimens following ingestion of aluminium phosphide. J Anal Toxicol. 1983; 7:165?167.
- Chugh SN, Juggal KL, Sharma A, Arora B, Malhotra KC. Magnesium levels in aluminium phosphide poisoning [Abstract] J Assoc Physicians India. 1990; 38:32.
- Chugh SN, Ram S, Sharma A, Arora BB, Saini AS, Malhotra KC. Adrenocortical involvement in aluminium phosphide poisoning. Indian J Med Res. 1989; 90:289?294.
- Gupta MS, Malik A, Sharma VK. Cardiovascular manifestations in aluminium phosphide poisoning with special reference to echocardiographic changes. J Assoc Physicians India. 1995; 43(773?774):779?780.
- Jain SM, Bharani A, Sepaha GC, Sanghvi VC, Raman PG. Electrocardiographic changes in aluminium phosphide (ALP) poisoning. J Assoc Physicians India. 1985; 33:406?409.
- Shadnia S, Mehrpour O, Soltaninejad K. A simplified acute physiology score in the prediction of acute aluminum phosphide poisoning outcome. Indian J Med Sci. 2011; 64:532?539.
[Pooja S. K. Rai, Kanchan Sonone and Pramod W. Ingale. (2019); IMPORTANCE OF AMMONIUM MOLYBDATE TEST IN ALUMINIUM PHOSPHIDE POISONING: A CASE STUDY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (9). 01-04] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9622 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9622
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.