MEASURING STUDENT SATISFACTION THROUGH SERVQUAL: EMPIRICAL STUDY AT BINAWAN UNIVERSITY.
- Lecture, Post Graduate Program, High School of Governmental Science - State Servant, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Lecture, Post Graduate Program, Department of Management Science, Faculty of Economic and Business, MercuBuana University, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
This study aims to identify the student satisfaction through service quality in the higher education. The study used a descriptive approach involving 144 students from Binawan University. Data collection using questionnaire with a 5-point Likert scale and collected data were analyzed using SERVQUAL and Cartesian Diagrams. The results of this study indicated that in general the quality of service at Binawan University based on students' perceptions is quite low and and shows gaps in each service attribute. These findings indicate that students are not satisfied with the services provided by Binawan University. The analysis from level of importance indicated that the dimensions of service most considered important by students are reliability, followed by tangible, responsiveness, assurance, and empathy. The improvement of service quality shuld based on the results of Cartesian Diagrams with focus on service attributes in quadrant A.
- Abdullah, F. (2006). Measuring service quality in higher education: Three instruments compared. International Journal of Research and Method in Education, 29(1), 71?89. https://doi.org/10.1080/01406720500537445
- Ali, F., Zhou, Y., Hussain, K., Nair Kumar, P., & Ragavan, N. A. (2016). Does higher education service quality affect student satisfaction, image and loyalty? A study of international students in Malaysian public universities. Quality Assurance in Education, 24(1), 70?94. https://doi.org/http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/QAE-11-2012-0046
- Andrews, R., Boyne, G. A., Law, J., & Walker, R. M. (2012). Strategic Management and Public Service Performance. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Annamdevula, S. (2017). Relationship between service quality, satisfaction, motivation and loyalty: a multi- dimensional perspective. Quality Assurance in Education, 25(2), 171?188. https://doi.org/10.1108/mbe.2000.26704caa.006
- Annamdevula, S., & Bellamkonda, R. S. (2016). The effects of service quality on student loyalty: the mediating role of student satisfaction. Journal of Modelling in Management, 11(2), 446?462. https://doi.org/10.1108/JM2-04-2014-0031
- Barnett, R. (2011). The marketised university: Defending the indefensible. In M. Molesworth, R. Scullion, & E. Nixon (Eds.), The Marketisation of Higher Education and the Student as Consumer. Oxon: Routledge.
- Chanaka Ushantha, R. A., & Samantha Kumara, P. A. P. (2016). A Quest for Service Quality in Higher Education: Empirical Evidence from Sri Lanka. Services Marketing Quarterly, 37(2), 98?108. https://doi.org/10.1080/15332969.2016.1154731
- Cheung, A. C. K., Yuen, T. W. W., Yuen, C. Y. M., & Cheng, Y. C. (2011). Strategies and policies for Hong Kong?s higher education in Asian markets: Lessons from the United Kingdom, Australia, and Singapore. International Journal of Educational Management, 25(2), 144?163. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513541111107579
- Choudhury, K. (2015). Evaluating customer-perceived service quality in business management education in India: A study in topsis modeling. Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics, 27(2), 208?225.
- Chui, T. B., Ahmad, M. S. bin, Bassim, F. binti A., & Zaimi, N. binti A. (2016). Evaluation of Service Quality of Private Higher Education Using Service Improvement Matrix. Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 224, 132?140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2016.05.417
- Clemes, M. D., Cohen, D. A., & Wang, Y. (2013). Understanding Chinese university students? experiences: an empirical analysis. In Asia Pacific Journal of Marketing and Logistics (Vol. 25). https://doi.org/10.1108/APJML-07-2012-0068
- Dado, J., Petrovicova, J. T., Riznic, D., & Rajic, T. (2011). An Empirical Investigation into the Construct of Higher Education Service Quality. International Review of Management and Marketing, 1(3), 30?42.
- de Jager, J., & Gbadamosi, G. (2013). Predicting students? satisfaction through service quality inhigher education. International Journal of Management Education, 11(3), 107?118. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijme.2013.09.001
- Dehghan, A., Dugger, J., Dobrzykowski, D., & Balazs, A. (2014). The antecedents of student loyalty in online programs. International Journal of Educational Management, 28(1), 15?35. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEM-01-2013-0007
- Đonlagić, S., & Fazlić, S. (2015). Quality assessment in higher education using the servqual model. Management, 20(1), 39?57.
- El Alfy, S., & Abukari, A. (2019). Revisiting perceived service quality in higher education: uncovering service quality dimensions for postgraduate students. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 0(0), 1?25. https://doi.org/10.1080/08841241.2019.1648360
- Elliott, K. M., & Healy, M. A. (2001). Key Factors Influencing Student Satisfaction Related to Recruitment and Retention. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 10(4), 1?11. https://doi.org/10.1300/J050v10n04
- Espejel, J., Fandos, C., & Flavi?n, C. (2008). Consumer satisfaction: A key factor of consumer loyalty and buying intention of a PDO food product. British Food Journal, 110(9), 865?881. https://doi.org/10.1108/00070700810900585
- Fitzsimmons, J. A., & Fitzsimmons, M. J. (2011). Service Management: Operations, Strategy, Information Technology (7th ed.). New York: McGraw-Hill Company, Inc.
- Galeeva, R. B. (2016). SERVQUAL application and adaptation for educational service quality assessments in Russian higher education. Quality Assurance in Education, 24(3), 329?348. https://doi.org/10.1108/mbe.2000.26704caa.006
- Helgesen, ?., & Nesset, E. (2007). What accounts for students? loyalty? Some field study evidence. International Journal of Educational Management, 21(2), 126?143. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513540710729926
- Hill, F. M. (1995). Managing service quality in higher education: The role of the student as primary consumer. Quality Assurance in Education, 3(3), 10?21. https://doi.org/10.1108/09684889510093497
- Hoffman, K. D., & Bateson, J. E. G. (2011). Services Marketing: Concepts, Strategies, & Cases. Mason: South-Western Cengage Learning.
- Hollins, B., & Shinkins, S. (2006). Managing Service Operations Design and Implementation. London: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Keillor, B. D., Wilkinson, T. J., & Thomas, A. R. (Eds.). (2007). Marketing In The 21st Century: New World Marketing. Westport: Greenwood Publishing Group, Inc.
- Khoo, S., Ha, H., & McGregor, S. L. T. (2017). Service quality and student/customer satisfaction in the private tertiary education sector in Singapore. International Journal of Educational Management, 31(4), 430?444. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEM-09-2015-0121
- Latif, K. F., Latif, I., Farooq Sahibzada, U., & Ullah, M. (2019). In search of quality: measuring Higher Education Service Quality (HiEduQual). Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, 30(7?8), 768?791. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783363.2017.1338133
- Li, R. Y., & Kaye, M. (1998). A case study for comparing two service quality measurement approaches in the context of teaching in higher education. Quality in Higher Education, 4(2), 103?113.
- Lin, S. P., Chan, Y. H., & Tsai, M. C. (2009). A transformation function corresponding to IPA and gap analysis. Total Quality Management and Business Excellence, 20(8), 829?846. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360903128272
- Mart?n-Consuegra, D., Molina, A., & Esteban, ?. (2007). An integrated model of price, satisfaction and loyalty: An empirical analysis in the service sector. Journal of Product and Brand Management, 16(7), 459?468. https://doi.org/10.1108/10610420710834913
- Mudie, P., & Cottam, A. (1993). The Management and Marketing of Service. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann, Ltd.
- Nadiri, H., Kandampully, J., & Hussain, K. (2009). Students? perceptions of service quality in higher education. Total Quality Management & Business Excellence, 20(5), 523?535. https://doi.org/10.1080/14783360902863713
- O?Neill, M. A., & Palmer, A. (2004). Importance-performance analysis: A useful tool for directing continuous quality improvement in higher education. Quality Assurance in Education, 12(1), 39?52. https://doi.org/10.1108/09684880410517423
- Oliver, R. L. (1977). Effect of expectation and disconfirmation on postexposure product evaluations: An alternative interpretation. Journal of Applied Psychology, 62(4), 480?486. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.62.4.480
- Oliver, R. L. (1980). A cognitive model of the antecedents and consequences of satisfaction decisions. Journal of Marketing Research, 14(4), 460?469. https://doi.org/10.2307/3150499
- Osman, A. R., & Saputra, R. S. (2019). A pragmatic model of student satisfaction: a viewpoint of private higher education. Quality Assurance in Education, 27(2), 142?165. https://doi.org/10.1108/QAE-05-2017-0019
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1985). A conceptual model of service quality and its implications for future research. Journal of Marketing, 49(4), 41?50.
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V. A., & Berry, L. L. (1988). SERVQUAL: a multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Journal of Retailing, 64(1), 12?40.
- Perry, J. L., & Thomson, A. M. (2004). Civic Service: What Difference Does it Make? New York: M. E. Sharpe.
- Sharabati, A. A. A., Alhileh, M. M., & Abusaimeh, H. (2019). Effect of service quality on graduates? satisfaction. Quality Assurance in Education, 27(3), 320?337. https://doi.org/10.1108/QAE-04-2018-0035
- Smith, G., Smith, A., & Clarke, A. (2007). Evaluating service quality in universities: a service department perspective. Quality Assurance in Education, 15(3), 334?551.
- ?timac, H., & ?imić, M. L. (2012). Competitiveness in higher education: A need for marketing orientation and service quality. Economics and Sociology, 5(2), 23?34. https://doi.org/10.14254/2071-789X.2012/5-2/2
- Stodnick, M., & Rogers, P. (2008). SERVQUAL to measure the quality of the classroom experience. Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 6(1), 115?133.
- Sultan, P., & Wong, H. Y. (2013). Antecedents and consequences of service quality in a higher education context: A qualitative research approach. Quality Assurance in Education, 21(1), 70?95. https://doi.org/10.1108/09684881311293070.
- Sumaedi, S., Bakti, I. G. M. Y., Rakhmawati, T., Astrini, N. J., Widianti, T., & Yarmen, M. (2016). Factors influencing public transport passengers? satisfaction: a new model. Management of Environmental Quality: An International Journal, 27(5), 585?597. https://doi.org/10.1108/MEQ-05-2015-0084
- Sunder, M. V. (2016). Constructs of quality in Higher Education services. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 60(6), 6?21. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17410401111140374%5Cnhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1108/17410400810841209%5Cnhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1108/02756661211281507
- Tan, K. C., & Kek, S. W. (2004). Service quality in higher education using an enhanced SERVQUAL approach. Quality in Higher Education, 10(1), 17?24. https://doi.org/10.1080/1353832242000195032
- Teeroovengadum, V., Kamalanabhan, T. J., & Seebaluck, A. K. (2015). Measuring service quality in higher education: development of a hierarchical model (HESQUAL). Quality Assurance in Education, 24(2), 244?258.
- Uka, A. (2014). Student satisfaction as an indicator of quality in higher education. Journal of Educational and Instructional Studies, 4(3), 2146?7463. Retrieved from www.ijonte.org
- Yildiz, S. M., & Kara, A. (2015). Developing Alternative Measures for Service Quality in Higher Education: Empirical Evidence from the School of Physical Education and Sports Sciences. Proceedings of the 2009 Academy of Marketing Science (AMS) Annual Conference. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-10864-3_102
- Zafiropoulos, C., & Vrana, V. (2008). Service quality assessment in a greek higher education institute. Journal of Business Economics and Management, 9(1), 33?45. https://doi.org/10.3846/1611-1699.2008.9.33-45
- Zeithaml, V. A., Parasuraman, A., & Berry, L. L. (1990). Delivering Quality Service: Balancing Customer Perceptions and Expectation. New York: The Free Press.
[R. Ervin Agung Priambodo and E. Michael Bayudhirgantara. (2019); MEASURING STUDENT SATISFACTION THROUGH SERVQUAL: EMPIRICAL STUDY AT BINAWAN UNIVERSITY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (Sep). 78-87] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Lecture, Post Graduate Program, High School of Governmental Science - State Servant, Jakarta, Indonesia
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9632 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9632
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.