- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG) involves resection of a significant portion of the stomach. Laparoscopic gastric plication (LGP) is a relatively alternative procedure similar to LSG, but without the need for gastric resection and low financial coast. Patients and methods: Fifty two patients fulfilled the National Institutes of Health criteria and were assigned randomly toreceive either LGP (n = 26)19 women and 7 men; mean age 40.15? 7.35 (21 ? 48) years and a mean BMI 46.96?4.30 kg/m2 or LSG (n = 26) 17 women and 9 men; mean age 39.73? 8.53 (20?50) years and a mean BMI 46.23?4.21 kg/m2 by a block randomization method. Patients were studied in terms of postoperative weight loss, complications. Change of HbA1c and hypertension. Results: All procedures were completed laparoscopically. Follow-up was 12 months. The mean hospitalstay was 2.5 (3?6) days for both groups. Postoperative complications occurred in 2 cases of minor leak and3 cases of bleeding were detected after LSG and one case of bleeding and two cases of gastric stenosisfollowing LGP. All patients experienced postoperative excess weight loss which was significantly better in the LSG group in terms of the change inBMI (mean 19.04 compared with 14.72 in LGP) and reduction of HbA1c (mean 1.3 compared with 0.6 in LGP).The improvement in hypertension was not significant. Conclusion: LGP is feasible, safe, inexpensive and effective, but has an inferior weight-loss effect compared to LSG for morbidly obese patients with BMI above 40 kg/m2.
- Herron DM (2011): ?the surgical management of severe obesity\" The amount Sinai Journal of Medicine, 71:63-71.
- Wang Y, Mi Jand Shan XY (2007): \"Is China facing an obesity epidemic and the consequences? The trends in obesity and chronic disease in China\". Int J Obes (Lond), 31:177?188.
- Iannelli A, Dainese R, Piche T, Facchiano E and Gugenheim J (2010):\"Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity\". World J Gastroenterol, 14(6):821-7.
- Brethauer SA, Harris JL, Kroh M and Schauer PR, (2011): Laparoscopic gastric plication for treatment of severs obesity. Surg Obes Related Dis; 7:15-22.
- Khwaja H and Bonanomi G (2010): Bariatric surgery: techniques, outcomes and complications. Current Anaesthesia & Critical Care; 21: 31?38.
- Baltasar A, Bou R, Bengochea M, Serra C and Cipagauta L (2007) Use of a Roux limb to correct esophagogastric junction fistulas after sleeve gastrectomy. Obes Surg; 17: 1408-1410.
- ElGeidie AA and El Hak NG (2013): Laparoscopic Gastric Plication in obese Egyptians Patients: technique and initial short-term outcome. Surgery; 3:151.
- Silecchia G , Boru C , Pecchia A , Rizzello M ,Casella G , Leonetti F , and Basso N (2006): Effectiveness of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (first stage of biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch ) on co-morbidities in super-obese high risk patients.obes surg; 16:1138-1144.
- Milone L, Strong V and Gagner M(2005): Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is superior to endoscopic intragastric balloon as a first-stage procedure for super-obese patients (BMI≥50). Obes Surg; 15(5):612?617.
- Cottam D, Qureshi F and Mattar S (2006): Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as an initial weight loss procedure for high risk patients with morbid obesity. Surg Endosc; 20:859?922.
- Dijian Shen , Huan Ye , Yuedong Wang and Wei Li (2013) : comparison of short-term outcomes between laparoscopicgreater curvature plication and laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy : surg endosc; 27:2768-2774.
- Broderick RC, Fuchs HF and Harnsberger CR, (2014): Comparison of bariatric restrictive operations: laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and laparoscopic gastric greater curvature plication. Surg Technol Int;25:82?9
- Taha O (2012). Efficacy of laparoscopic greater curvature plication for weight loss and type 2 diabetes: 1-year follow-up. Obes Surg; 22:1629?32.
- Talebpour M, Motamedi SM and Talebpour A (2012): Twelve year ex-perience of laparoscopic gastric plication in morbid obesity: devel- opment of the technique and patient outcomes. Ann Surg Innov Res; 6:7. Doi: 10.1186/1750-1164-6-7.
- Fried M, Dolezalova K and Buchwald JN (2012): Laparoscopic greater curvature plication (LGCP) for treatment of morbid obesity in a series of 244 patients. Obes Surg; 22:1298?307.
- Sakran N, Goitein D and Raziel A (2012): Gastric leaks after sleeve gastrectomy: a multicenter experience with2.834 patients .Surg Endosc; 27:240-5.
- Shi X, Karmali S , Sharma AM , and Birch DW (2010): A review of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity . Obes Surg; 20:1171-1177.
- Talebpour M and Amoli B S (2007). Laparoscopic total gastric vertical plication in morbid obesity. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech; 17:793-8.
- Skrekas G, Antiochos k and Stafyla VK (2011): Laparoscopic gastric greater curvature plication: results and complications in a series of 135 patients .obese surg; 21:1657-63.
- Elie Chouillard, Naim Schoucair, Salman Alsabah, Bashaer Alkandari and Jean Biagini (2015): Laparoscopic Gastric Plication (LGP) as an Alternative to Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy (LSG) in Patients with Morbid Obesity:A Preliminary, Short-Term, OBES SURG; 26:1167?1172.
- Andraos SA, Ziade D and Achcouty R (2011): Early complications of 120 laparoscopic greater curvature plication procedures. Bariatric Times;8(9):10-15.
- Lee WJ, Lee KT, Ser KH, Chen JC, Tsou JJ and Lee YC (2015). Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) with gastric plication: short-term results and comparison with LAGB alone and sleeve gastrectomy. Surg Obes Relat Dis;11 (1):125-30
- Abouzeid Mohamed M and Taha Osama (2015): Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy versus laparoscopic gastric greater curvature plication: a prospective randomized comparative Study; 24:41-47.
- Pujol Gebelli J, Garcia Ruiz de Gordejuela A and Casajoana Badia A (2011): (Laparoscopic Gastric Plication: a new surgery for the treatment of morbid obesity). Published by, The McGraw-Hill Companies, New York. Pp. 1834-1890.
[Ashraf Goda, Hany Mohamed and Tamer. A. A. M. Habeeb. (2019); LAPAROSCOPIC GASTRIC PLICATION COMPARED WITH SLEEVE GASTRECTOMY FOR MORBID OBESITY : A PROSPECTIVE RANDOMIZED STUDY. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (10). 45-52] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Surgical department Faculty of medicine Zagazig university
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9804 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9804
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.