ASSESSMENT OF NUTRITIONAL QUALITIES AND ACCEPTABILITY OF BREADS PRODUCED WITH MORINGA OLEIFERA POD FLOUR
- Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management Education, Faculty of Vocational Technical Education, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
An in-vitro assay was carried out to ascertain the effect of addition of dry Moringa oleifera pod flour on the quality of composite bread, which hitherto had constituted an important dietary intake of many people in Nigeria. M. oleifera pod was processed into flour and mixed with composite flour for bread production. Four samples of bread were produced and labelled Samples 20 g, 40 g, 60 g and Control. The control contained 100 % wheat flour, while Sample 20 g to 60 g had dry M. oleifera pod flours added in an increasing order of 20 %, 40 % and 60 %. The nutritional properties of the bread loaves were evaluated and the result varied significantly with increasing levels of M. oleifera pod flours. The proximate composition of bread fortified with M. oleifera pod flours showed that the moisture content decreased significantly (p<0.05) with increased M. oleifera pod flours varying from 22.4 % to 32.6 % while that of protein contents increased from 2.84 % to 3.06 %. The fat contents of the bread samples did not differ significantly (p<0.05) with increase in M. oleifera pod flours while the carbohydrate contents of the bread samples increased significantly (p<0.05) with increase in M. oleifera pod flours. The mineral, phytochemical and vitamin contents increased with the increase in the addition of M. oleifera pod flours. The result of the sensory properties showed that the flavour, texture, mouth feel, colour and overall acceptability of each product was significantly (p<0.05) enhanced by the addition of M. oleifera pod flour. The 100 % wheat bread recorded the lowest scores in all the major parameters evaluated while all the other samples were well accepted. Overall, there was an increase in the values of acceptability, appearance and flavour of the bread samples with increasing levels of M. oleifera pod flours
- American Society of Hematology (2019). Helping hematologists conquer blood disease worldwide. hematology.org
- Anwar, F., Latif, S., Ashraf, M. & Gilani, A. H. (2007). Moringa oleifera: a food plant with multiple medicinal uses. Phytother Res PTR. 21:17?25.
- AOAC (2000). Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Official methods of analysis. Washington D. C. pp 220-224.
- Aslam, M., Anwar, F., Nadeem, R., Rashid, U., Kazi, T. G. & Nadeem, M. (2005). Mineral composition of Moringa oleifera leaves and pods from different regions of Punjab, Pakistan. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences. 4 (4) 417-421.
- Awaziem, N. (2007). Physicochemical, Sensory Qualities and Storage Stabilities of Locally Produced Yoghurt in Enugu Metropolis. A B.Sc Project, Department of Food Science and Technology, UNN.
- Botella, J. A., Ulschmid, J. K., Gruenewald, C., Moehle, C., Kretzschmar, D., Becker, K., & Schneuwly, S. (2004). The Drosophila carbonyl reductase sniffer prevents oxidative stress-induced neurodegeneration. Current Biology, 14 (9), 782-786.
- Campbell, G. M. Herrero-Sanchez, R., Payo-Rodriguez, R. and Merchan, M. L. (2001). Measurement of dynamic dough density and effect of surfactants and flour type on aeration during mixing and gas retention during proofing, Cereal Chem., 78 (3) 272-277.
- Collins, J. F., Prohaska, J. R. & Knutson, M. D. (2010). Metabolic crossroads of iron and copper. Nutr Rev. 68 (3):133-147
- David M. O. (2006). Nigeria No. 1 Market for U.S. wheat: Potential for other grains and seeds. Foreign Agric. Serv. Bull. pp. 1-2.
- Dewettinck, K., Bockstaele, V., Kuhne, F., Van de Walle, B., Courtens, T. & Gellynck, X (2008). Nutritional value of bread: Influence of processing, food interaction and consumer perception. Rev. J. Cereal sci., 48: 243-257.
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans (2010). U. S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Egwim, E. C. Elem, R. C. & Egwuche, R. U. (2011). Proximate composition, phytochemical screening and antioxidant activity of ten selected wild edible Nigeria mushrooms. American Journal of Food and Nutrition 1 (2): 89-94.
- El-Ghorab, Ahmed Hassan, Muhammad Nauman, Faqir Muhammad Anjum, Shahzad Hussain, & Muhammad Nadeem. 2010. \\\\\\\"A comparative study on chemical composition and antioxidant activity of ginger (Zingiber officinale) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum).\\\\\\\" Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 58 (14): 8231-8237.
- Eze, E. I. & Orjioke, C. (2010). Phytochemical and antimicrobial activities of Physcia grisea on clinical isolate of Salmonella typhi. Journal of Medical and Applied Biosciences. Vol 2, 93-98.
- Finley, J. H. & Phillips, R. O. (1989). Protein quality and the effects of processing. New York: M. Dekker. p.?See Figure 2. ISBN0-8247-7984-3.
- Genstat Release 10.3DE (2011). VSN International ltd. (Rothamsted Experimental Station).
- Hamelman, J. (2004). Bread: a baker\\\\\\\'s book of techniques and recipes. New York: John Wiley. pp.?7?13. ISBN0-471-16857-2.
- Healthy Water Living (2007). Retrieved 2007-02-01. Archived from the original on 2007-01-01.
- Hettiarachichi, M. Liyanage, C., Wickremasingle, R., Hilmers, D. C. & Abrahams, S. A. (2006). Prevalence and severity of micronutrient deficiency: a cross-sectional study among adolescents in SriLanka. Asia Pac J. Clin Nutr. 15 (1) 56-63.
- Hischenhuber, C., Crevel, R., Jarry, B., M?ki, M., Moneret-Vautrin, D. A., Romano, A., Troncone, R. & Ward, R. (2006). Review article: safe amounts of gluten for patients with wheat allergy or coeliac disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 23 (5): 559?75.
- Huang, E. S., Brown, S. E., Ewigman, B. G., Foley, E. C. & Meltzer, D. O. (2007). Patient Perceptions of Quality of Life with Diabetes-Related Complications and Treatments. Diabetes Care. 30 (10): 2478?83.
- Ihekoronye, A. I. & Ngoddy, P. O. (1985). Integrated Food Science for the Tropic. Macmilan Publishers, United Kingdom. Pp 50-128.
- Iwe, M. O. (2002). Handbook of Sensory Methods and Analysis. Rojoint Communication Services Ltd., Enugu Nigeria.
- Jakkutowicz, K., Tomick, Z. I., & Leokadia, L. (1977). Determination of total plasma tocopherol in the presence of carotenes. Pol. Arch water. 20: 45-57.
- Kalibbala, H. M., Wahlberg, O. & Hawumba, T. J. ( 2009). \\\\\\\"The impact of Moringa oleifera as a coagulant aid on the removal of trihalomethane (THM) precursors and iron from drinking water\\\\\\\". Water Science and Technology: Water Supply. 9 (6): 707?714.
- Mbaeyi, I. E. & Anyanwu, L. N. (2010). Production and evaluation of yoghurt flavoured with solar-dried bush mango (Irvingia gabonensis) pulp. Journal of Tropical Agriculture, Food, Environment and Extension. 9: 137-146.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (2019). U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.www.nhlbi.nih.gov.health-topics.
- Okonwu, K. & Ugiomoh, I. G. (2015). Tannin contents of some economic plants in Nigeria. Journal of Plant Sciences. 10 (4) 159-166. DOI103923/jps2015.159.166.
- Okwulehie, I. C. & Odunze, E. T. (2004). Evaluation of the myco-chemical and mineral composition of some tropical edible mushroom. Journal of Sustainable Agriculture and Environment. 6: 63-70.
- Olokodona, F. A., (2005). Analysis of fruit drinks and fruit juices. IPAN news vol 6 No.2 IPAN news vol 6 No.24, ISSN1595-3513.
- Onwuka, G. I. (2005). Food Analysis and Instrumentation theory and practice. Naphthali Prints Lagos, Nigeria pp 142 ? 143.
- Pietta P. G. (2000). Flavonoids as antioxidants. Journal of Natural Products. 63: 1035-1042.
- Srinath, R. K.&Katan, M. B. (2004). Diet, nutrition, and the prevention of hypertension and cardiovascular diseases. PublicHealth Nutr. 7 (1):167?186.
- Stanley H.O, Umolo, E.A & Stanley, C. N. (2011). Cultivation of oyster mushroom (Pleurotus pulmonarius) on amended corncob substrate. Agriculture and Biology Journal of North America. 2 (10): 1336-1339.
- Tenbergen, K. (1999). Dough and Bread Conditioners. Food and Product Design Magazine. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Touyz, R. M. (2003). Role of magnesium in the pathogenesis of hypertension. Molecular Aspects of Medicine. 24: 107?136.
- Tsao, R. (2010). Chemistry and biochemistry of dietary polyphenol. Journal of Nutrients. 2 (12): 1231-1246.
[Dimelu Ifeoma Ngozi, Eze Emmanuel Ikechukwu, Chukwuone Amaka Adaobi and Ndubuaku Uchenna Mabel (2019); ASSESSMENT OF NUTRITIONAL QUALITIES AND ACCEPTABILITY OF BREADS PRODUCED WITH MORINGA OLEIFERA POD FLOUR Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (11). 49-55] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Nigeria, Nsukka
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9973 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9973
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.