A STUDY OF BASIC COSTS FOR TRACKING TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN AN ACADEMIC INSTITUTION: THE CASE OF THE INSTITUTE OF ACCOUNTANCY ARUSHA
- Lecturer - Institute of Accountancy Arusha, Informatics department
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
This paper discusses the total cost of ownership (TCO) of an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure in an academic Institution. The aim of this study is to encourage use of TCO analysis. ICT TCO shows all onetime costs and recurring costs and its analysis lead to later lower costs in maintenance and support. Interviews and documentary sources were used to collect data. Most indirect costs were impossible to determine. ICT TCO can be lowered by training users to properly use ICT facilities and implement management best practices in the deployment, in the day-to-day Computer operations and in the retirement processes
- ASEAN (2011) ASEAN ICT Master Plan 2015 The ASEAN Secretariat, Jakarta
- Bankole, F. O., Osei-Bryson, K., & Brown, I. (2013) The impact of information and communication technology infrastructure and complementary factors on Intra-African trade Information Technology for Development
- Bollou, F. (2010) Interrogating the impact of ICT infrastructure expansion in francophone West Africa 1993?2005 A critical theory study using Archival data and non-parametric research methods (Doctoral Thesis) University of Cape Town, Cape Town.
- Chisnall, David (2006) Making Effective Software TCO Calculations [online] available from <http://www.phptr.com/articles/article.asp?p=458170&seqNum=2&rl=1> [13 January 2010]
- Compugen (2007) Total Cost of Technology (TCT) Assessments [online] available from <http://www.compugen.com/index.asp?ID=tcoassessments> [13 January 2010]
- Garrett, David (2004) Look before You Leap - How to Evaluate TCO before Buying Equipment [online] available from <http://www.processor.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2Fp2641%2F20p41%2F20p41.asp&guid=&searchtype=&WordList=&bJumpTo=True> [15 December 2010]
- Gartner (2003) A Report and Estimating Tool for K-12 School Districts - Why Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) Matters [online] available from <https://k12tco.gartner.com/home/homepagepromo/files/TCO_Overview.pdf> [11 November 2009]
- Gartner Group (2007) Gartner Applied Methodology Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) tools [online] available from <http://amt.gartner.com/TCO/index.htm> [10 October 2009]
- GİRAY, G. & T?Z?N, E. (2018) A Systematic Mapping Study on the Current Status of Total Cost of Ownership for Information Systems [online] available from https://dergipark.org.tr/en/download/article-file/465730 [11 March 2019]
- Investopedia(2019) Direct Cost [online] available from https://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/directcost.asp [11 March 2017]
- Jeremy, G., Charles K., Christine Zhen-Wei Qiang (2004) Information and Communication Technologies and Broad-Based Development A Partial Review of the Evidence [online] available from http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/998881468780319383/pdf/279490PAPER0WBWP0no1012.pdf [11 March 2017]
- Jorgenson, D. W., & Vu, K. (2005) Information technology and the world economy. Scandinavan Journal of Economics, 107(4), 631?650.
- Kauffman (2000) Total cost of ownership white paper [online] available from <http://ids.csom.umn.edu/faculty/kauffman/courses/8420s98/Project/TCO/tco-1.html> [10 October 2009]
- Kooshki, M. F., & Ismail, R. (2011) The impact of information and communication technology investment on economic growth in newly industrialized countries in Asia Australian Journal of Basicand Applied Sciences
- Kuppusamy, M., & Santhapparaj, S. (2005) Investment in information and communication technologies and its payoff in Malaysia. Perspectives on Global Development and Technology, 4(2), 147?168.
- Microsoft (2006) Get the Facts: Total Cost of Ownership [online] available from <http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/0/6/a0628eee-0114-4444-9793-e52a92dc4cf4/GetTheFacts_ExecSummary_TCO.DOC> [18 December 2009]
- Odellion (2007) Total cost of ownership [online] available from <http://www.odellion.com/pages/online%20community/TCO/financialmodels_tco_definition.htm> [20 December 2009]
- Osten, Marc (2001) Total cost of ownership ? the hidden costs of technology [online] available from <http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/techplan/page4761.cfm> [10 January 2010]
- Shirazi, F., Gholami, R., & Higon, D. A. (2009). The Impact of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), education and regulation on economic freedom in Islamic Middle Eastern countries Information and Management, 46(9), 426?433.
- Thompson, H., & Garbacz, C. (2008) Broadband impacts on state GDP: direct and indirect impacts Paper presented at the International Telecommunications Society 17th Biennial Conference, Canada.
- Toshiba (2007) TCO Model ? a closer look at Personal Computers [online] available from <http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/tnt/tco/index.htm> [10 December 2009]
- Toshiba-europe (2018) IT Strategy ? A Closer look at PCs, https://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/tnt/tco/index.htm [12 March 2019]
- Wikipedia (2008) Total cost of ownership [online] available from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_cost_of_ownership> [10 December 2009]
- Wikipedia (2019) Total cost of ownership [online] available from https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_cost_of_ownership [11 March 2017]
- Worldbank (2011) Africa?s ICT Infrastructure - Building on the Mobile Revolution [online] available from https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/2325/632510PUB0ICT000ID0184540BOX361512B.pdf?sequence=1 [10 March 2017].
[Victor Ngessa (2019); A STUDY OF BASIC COSTS FOR TRACKING TOTAL COST OF OWNERSHIP OF INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY IN AN ACADEMIC INSTITUTION: THE CASE OF THE INSTITUTE OF ACCOUNTANCY ARUSHA Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (Nov). 228-234] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Lecturer - Institute of Accountancy Arusha
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9997 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9997
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.