EVALUATION OF CHEWING EFFICIENCY AND ELECTROMYOGRAPHY ACTIVITY OF MUSCLES OF MASTICATION OF PATIENTS WEARING COMPLETE DENTURE LINED BY FLEXIBLE ACRYL (RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIAL)
- Research Assistant, Prosthodontic Dep., National Research Centre, Egypt
- Professor, Removable Prosthodontic Dep., Cairo University
- Associate Professor, Removable Prosthodontic Dep., Cairo University
- Associate Professor, Fixed & Removable Prosthodontic Dep., National Research Centre, Egypt
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
One of the goals that the prosthodontist has to achieve is to construct retentive and stable denture that subsequently enhances both function and esthetics. Subjective and objective contemplate provide controversial results of denture liners influence on the masticatory ability. While results of some considerations indicated that chewing efficiency remarkably improves the chewing ability. Flexible acrylic resin liners offer better denture adaptation, patient satisfaction as well as denture retention due to its light weight and engaging more desirable undercuts. Aim of this study was to assess the flexible lining acrylic resin material?s influence on the chewing efficiency and activity of masticatory muscles in complete denture wearers. Materials and methods: Twenty six completely edentulous patients were selected and were divided into two groups, Group I: patients wearing conventional heat cured acrylic complete denture. Group II: patients wearing conventional heat cured acrylic complete denture relined by soft acrylic versacryl. Chewing efficiency and Electromyography records taken for both groups at time of insertion, after first, second and third month. Results: time taken during swallowing decreased for patients wearing complete dentures lined with soft acrylic versacryl than conventional complete dentures. EMG activity for both the masseter and temporalis muscles were increased after the relining the complete denture with soft liner (versacryl). However, EMG activity of the masseter muscle was higher than the temporalis muscle in both groups.
- Lovely M.: Review of Complete denture, 1st, Jaypee Brothers, New Delhi, 31-35; 2005.
- Goiato M.C., Riberio P.D.O., Garcio A.R. and Dos Santos D.M.: Complete denture masticatory efficiency. J. Calif, Dent Assoc. 36(9): 683-686; 2008.
- Chladek G., Zmudzki J. and Kasperski J.: Long-Term Soft Denture Lining Materials. Materials, 7: 5816-5842; 2014.
- Goiato M.C., Garcia A.R., Dos Santos D.M., Zuim P.R.: Analysis of masticatory cycle efficiency in complete denture wearers. Journal of Prosthodontics. 19: 10-13; 2010.
- Asakawa A.,? Fueki K. and Ohyama V.: Detection of Improvement in the Masticatory Function from Old to New Removable Partial Dentures using Mixing Ability Test. 32,629-634; 2005.
- Hayakawa I., Watanabe I., Hirano S.H., Nagao M. and Seki T.: A simple method for evaluating masticatory performance using a color changeable gum. The int. J. of Prosth.; 11: 173-176; 1998.
- Locker D. and?Allen F.: What do measures of \'oral health-related quality of life\' measure? Community Dent Oral Epidemiol, 35(6): 401-11; 2007.
- Allen P.F., McMillan A.S., Locker D.: An assessment of sensitivity to change of the oral health impact profile in a clinical trial.Community Dent Oral Epidemiol; 29: 175-182; 2001.
- Marcenes W., Steele J.G., Sheiham A. Angus Willian Gilmour Walls A.W: The relationship between dental status, food selection, nutrient intake, nutritional status, and body mass index in older people. Cad. SaudePu blica, 19(3): 809-816; 2003.
- Feine J.S. and Lund J.P.: Measuring chewing ability in randomized controlled trials with edentulous populations wearing implant prostheses (review article), Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 33: 301-308; 2006.
- Gary D., Jeffrey P.: The clinical usefulness of surface electromyography in the diagnosis and treatment of temporomandibular disorders, 173: 763-771; 2006.
- Haraldson T., Ingervall B.: Silent period and jaw jerk reflex in patients with osseointegrated oral implant bridges, Eur J Oral Sci 87(5): 365-372; 2007.
- Zarb G., Blender C., Hobkirk J., Eckert S. and Jacob R.: Boucher\'s Prosthodontic treatment of edentulous patients) 13th, St. lousi-((MO): CV. Mobsy Inc., 8-29: 262-278; 2012.
- Tyson K.W. and McCord J.F.: Chairside options for treatment of complete denture problems associated with atrophic mandibular ridge. Br. Dent. J. 188: 10-14; 2000.
- Pawashe K. and Tewary S.: Evaluation of linear dimensional accuracy of hard chairside and laboratory heat cure reline resins at different time intervals after processing. Indian Journal of Dental Research, (25): 686-69; 2014.
- Psillakis J.J., Wright R.F., Grbic J.T. and Lamster I.B.: In practice evaluation of denture adhesive using Gnathometer. J. Prosthodontics; 13: 244-50; 2004.
- Yamashita S., Sasaki S. and Hatch J.P.: Relationship between oral function and occlusal support in denture wearers. J. Oral Rehabil. 27: 881-886; 2000.
- Vegrune J.L., Lassauzay C., Nicolas E., Peyron M.A., Woda A.: Mastication of model products in complete denture wearers. Archiv Oral Biol; 52: 1180-1185; 2007.
- Pisani M.X. et al.: Electromyography of masticatory muscles after denture relining with soft and hard denture liners. Journal of oral science, 55(3): 217-24; 2013.
- Tata S. and Nandeeshwar D.B: A clinical study to evaluate and compare the masticatory performance in complete denture wearers with and without soft liners. The journal of contemporary dental practice, 13(6): 787-92; 2012.
- Laraa M., Cariab P., Tosellob D., Larac F., Amorim M.: Electromyographic Activity of Masseter and Temporal Muscles with Different Facial Types. Angle Orthodontist, (79): 515-520; 2009.
- Bakke M.: Variables related to masseter muscle function: a maximum R2 improvement analysis, Eur J Oral Sci 101(3): 159-165; 1993.
[Mostafa Sobhy Tahoon, Amal El-Rekaby Taha, Nouran Mohamed Abdelnabi and Eman Mostafa Ibraheem (2020); EVALUATION OF CHEWING EFFICIENCY AND ELECTROMYOGRAPHY ACTIVITY OF MUSCLES OF MASTICATION OF PATIENTS WEARING COMPLETE DENTURE LINED BY FLEXIBLE ACRYL (RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIAL) Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (1). 198-202] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Associate Professor, Prosthodontic Dep., National Research Centre, Egypt
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10283 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10283
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.