- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Lipoid proteinosis is a rare autosomal recessive multisystem disorder caused by mutations in the extracellular matrix protein 1 gene. It is characterized by infiltration of amorphous hyaline in the dermis and submucosal connective tissue. We report the case of 36-year-old woman with history of hoarseness since infancy and multiple episodes of right parotitis. Dermatological examination found bead-like papules on the margins of the eyelids, thickened skin lesions on the elbows and knees, enlargement of the tongue with dental impressions and lingual frenulum infiltration. Skin biopsy showed histopathological findings of lipoid proteinosis. The patient was treated by acitretin for 6 months with no improvement of the skin lesions. Three months later, patient presented a left parotitis with a cutaneous fistula through which abscess was discharged. The objective of the present report is to describe this rare entity and report that lipoid proteinosis may be associated with recurrent parotitis caused by infiltration and stenosis of Stensens duct.
- Al-Ekrish Aa, Al-Sadhan Re. Lipoid proteinosis: A case report with recurrent parotitis and intracranial calcifications. King Saud University Journal of Dental Sciences 2012;3(1):13-16.
- Belliveau MJ, Alkhotani A, Ali A. Moniliform Blepharosis of Lipoid Proteinosis.?JAMA Ophthalmol.2015;133(7):e150688.
- Bhattacharjee R, Chatterjee D, Vinay K. Lipoid Proteinosis. JAMA Dermatol. 2018;154(12):1479?1480.
- Dertlioglu S.B., Calik M., Cicek D. Demographic, clinical and radiologic signs and treatment responses of lipoid proteinosis patients: a 10-case series from Sanliurfa. Int Dermatol. 2014;53:516?523.
- Epple A, Hoxha E, Schneiderbauer R et al. Hyalinosis cutis et mucosae: A clinical investigation with special regard to mucosal changes. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2018 Feb;16(2):211-213.
- Ghazawi FM, Proulx ES, Jafarian F. A novel nonsense mutation in exon 9 in the extracellular matrix protein 1 gene associated with lipoid proteinosis: A case report. SAGE Open Med Case Rep. 2019;7:2050313X19850359.
- Larkin S, Blixt EK, Kumar N et al. Lipoid proteinosis: Unfamiliar skin findings delay diagnosis.?JAAD Case Rep. 2018 Jun 28;4(6):609-611.
- McGrath JA. Lipoid proteinosis. Handb Clin Neurol 2015;132:317-22.
- Pinna R, Cocco F, Campus G et al. Genetic and developmental disorders of the oral mucosa: Epidemiology; molecular mechanisms; diagnostic criteria; management. Periodontol 2000. 2019;80(1):12-27.
- Sabater-Abad J, Matellanes-Palacios M, Pont-Sanjuan V et al. Oral Ulcer-A Disabling Manifestation in a Patient with Lipoid Proteinosis. JAMA Dermatol. 2019 Jun 12.
[Chiguer Meriem, Ouadi Zahra, Amal Said and Hocar Ouafa (2020); PAROTITIS IN LIPOID PROTEINOSIS Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (1). 232-234] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Departments of Dermatology, Cadi Ayyad University, Mohammed VI University Hospital Center, Marrakech, Morocco.
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10288 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10288
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.