AN ASSESSMENT INEMPLOYABILITY OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT GRADUATESIN THE PHILIPPINES
- College of Business Administration Graduate School, Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- M. H. del Pilar Campus, Valencia St. near R. Magsaysay Blvd. Sta. Mesa, Manila, Philippines
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Every year, human resource graduates around the world want to have a place in the labor market. However, some are employed not based on their specialized degrees. Thus, this study focuses on the employability skills of a human resource graduate who wants to acquire a position in the labor market as a human resource as a profession. Because of continuous competition and specialization, graduates must acquire good solid business experiences, scholarly educational background and a variety of competencies skills to become more employable. The employability of human resource management in the Philippines was dominated by Human resources and Business-related degree graduates as a preferred profession in the Philippine labor market seconded by Psychology and accounting.
- Boyatzis, R. E. (2009). Competencies as a behavioral approach to emotional intelligence.?Journal of Management Development,?28(9), 749-770.
- Cicekli, E. (2013). Human resource needs of organizations in terms of the qualities they need and seek from new graduate employees. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 4(1).
- Cinque, M. (2015). Comparative analysis on the state of the art of Soft Skill identification and training in Europe and some Third Countries. In?Speech at ?Soft Skills and their role in employability?New perspectives in teaching, assessment and certification?, workshop in Bertinoro, FC, Italy.
- De Chavez, K. J. V., Lumanglas, J. L., Rondilla, K. M., Salcedo, J. A., &Caiga, B. T. (2016). On-the-Job Training and Academic Performance of Mechanical Engineering Students in one Academic Institution in the Philippines. Asia Pacific Journal of Academic Research in Social Sciences, 1(1), 54-63.
- Evans-Greenwood, P., O\'Leary, K., & Williams, P. (2015). The paradigm shift: Redefining education. Centre for the Edge, Deloitte Australia.
- Gottfredson, L. S. (1997). Why g matters: The complexity of everyday life.?Intelligence,?24(1), 79-132.
- Hatcher, T., & Aragon, S. R. (2000). A code of ethics and integrity for HRD research and practice. Human Resource Development Quarterly, 11(2), 179.
- Harvey, L. (2001). Defining and measuring employability. Quality in higher education, 7(2), 97-109.
- Hillage, J., & Pollard, E. (1998). Employability: developing a framework for policy analysis.
- Laguador, J. M. (2014). Cooperative learning approach in an outcomes-based environment.?International Journal of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities,?2(2), 46-55.
- Macalalad, J. A., Buenviaje, M. G., Regalario, G. M., &Laguador, J. M. (2016). Employment Status of Graduates in Post Baccalaureate Degree in Business Administration of one Higher Education Institution in the Philippines. Asia Pacific Journal of Education, Arts and Sciences, 3(4), 17-26.
- Mangaleswaran, T., & Srinivasan, P. T. (2006). Human resource competencies for managing challenges. In Information and Knowledge Management (Vol. 5, No. 9, pp. 109-114).
- Newman, I., Benz, C. R., & Ridenour, C. S. (1998). Qualitative-quantitative research methodology: Exploring the interactive continuum. SIU Press.
- Nikolaou, I., &Oostrom, J. K. (Eds.). (2015). Employee recruitment, selection, and assessment: Contemporary issues for theory and practice. Psychology Press.
- Official Gazette. (2012) Republic Act No. 10173. An Act Protecting Individual Personal Information In Information And Communications Systems In The Government And The Private Sector, Creating For This Purpose A National Privacy Commission, And For Other Purposes. Retrieved from: https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/2012/08/15/republic-act-no-10173/
- Official Gazette. (2012). Republic Act No. 10931. An Act Promoting Universal Access To Quality Tertiary Education By Providing For Free Tuition And Other School Fees In State Universities And Colleges, Local Universities And Colleges And State-Run Technical-Vocational Institutions, Establishing The Tertiary Education Subsidy And Student Loan Program, Strengthening The Unified Student Financial Assistance System For Tertiary Education, And Appropriating Funds Therefor. Retrieved from:https://www.officialgazette.gov.ph/2017/08/03/republic-act-no-10931/
- Onyam, E. G., Usang, I. E., &Enyisi, S. A. (2015). The impact of human resource accounting on the profitability of a firm empirical evidence from Access Bank of Nigeria Plc. Journal of Accounting and Research, 3(7), 76-94.
- Paadi, K. (2014). Perceptions on employability skills necessary to enhance human resource management graduates prospects of securing a relevant place in the labour market. European Scientific Journal.
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) (2013). The Educational Attainment of the Household Population. Retrieved from Philippine Statistics Authority: https://psa.gov.ph/content/educational-attainment-household-population-results-2010-census
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) (n.d). Higher Education enrolment in Public and Private Schools by Discipline Group. Retrieved from Philippine Statistics Authority:http://www.psa.gov.ph/sites/default/files/Chapter%252010%2520Education%2520and%2520Manpower%2520Development_0.xls
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) (2018). Filipino families are most deprived education. Retrieved from Philippine Statistics Authority: https://psa.gov.ph/content/filipino-families-are-most-deprived-education-0
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) (2018). Gender Statistics on Labor and Employment. Retrieved from Philippine Statistics Authority: https://psa.gov.ph/content/gender-statistics-labor-and-employment
- Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) (2019). Employment Rate in July 2019. Retrieved https://psa.gov.ph/statistics/survey/labor-and-employment/labor-force-survey/title/Employment%20Rate%20in%20July%202019%20is%20Estimated%20at%2094.6%20Percent
- Quek, A. H. (2005). Learning for the workplace: a case study in graduate employees\' generic competencies. Journal of workplace learning, 17(4), 231-242.
- Ray, C. M., Stallard, J. J., & Stallard, J. J. (1994). Criteria for business graduates\' employment: Human resource managers\' perceptions. Journal of education for business, 69(3), 140-144.
- Rothwell, A., Jewell, S., & Hardie, M. (2009). Self-perceived employability: Investigating the responses of post-graduate students.?Journal of vocational behavior,?75(2), 152-161.
- Snell, S., Bohlander, G. W., & Morris, S. (2015). Managing human resources. Nelson Education.
- Świgoń, M. (2011, April). Personal Knowledge Management (PKM) and Personal Employability Management (PEM)?Concepts Based on Competences. In?Proceedings of The 3rd European Conference on Intellectual Capital held at University of Nicosia, Cyprus(pp. 432-438).
- Tharunya, S. R., &Kottawatta, H. (2014). Perception of Employability Skills of HRM Graduates From Employers? and Graduates? Perspective.
- Yorke, M., & Knight, P. T. (2006). Embedding employability into the curriculum. Learning and Employability Series 1. The Higher Education Academy, York. https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/resource/embedding-employability-curriculum.
[Mark Anthony R. Florese and Souvenir M. Gan (2020); AN ASSESSMENT INEMPLOYABILITY OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT GRADUATESIN THE PHILIPPINES Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (1). 441-449] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10314 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10314
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.