- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The success of schools relies predominantly on the leadership styles of school leaders and teachers behaviors toward work. Despite the evidence showing that authentic leadership can effectively operate in an increasingly complicated environment, limited studies have focused on its impact on educational organizations. This quantitative study was aimed at examining the impactof authentic leadership and teacher morale on organizational citizenship behavior in the context of higher education using Multiple Regression Analysis. Survey data were collected from 150 college teacher-respondents from different universities in the Philippines. Results yielded that the deans authentic leadership positively promotes teacher morale and organizational citizenship behavior in higher education. Moreover, teacher morale positively promotes organizational citizenship behavior in higher education. This study has shown that authentic leadership is important in driving teacher morale and organizational citizenship behavior of teachers in higher education. The results provide new significant information of the importance of authentic leadership on educational organization. This work would allow for more scholarly attention to authentic leadership in the context of educational organization and may direct future research on its effect on other organizational outcomes and behavioral performance.
- Ahadi, S., &Suandi, T. (2014). Structural empowerment and organizational commitment: the mediating role of psychological empowerment in Malaysian research universities.?Journal of Asian development studies,?3(1), 44-65.
- Akinbobola, O. I. (2011). Conflict in human capital relationships: the impact of job satisfaction on job involvement in a workplace. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity, 1(2), 92.
- Belogolovsky, E., & Somech, A. (2010). Teachers organizational citizenship behavior: Examining the boundary between in-role behavior and extra-role behavior from the perspective of teachers, principals and parents.?Teaching and Teacher education,?26(4), 914-923.
- Bento, A. M. V., & Ribeiro, M. I. (2013). Authentic leadership in school organizations.?European Scientific Journal,?9, 121-130.
- Cerit, Y. (2010). The effects of servant leadership on teachers organizational commitment in primary schools in Turkey.?International Journal of Leadership in Education,?13(3), 301-317.
- Chavez Jr, F. C. (2012). Organizational Commitment As Influenced by Leadership Behavior of Administrators, Job Satisfaction and Burnout of Teachers: A Structural Equation Modeling.?UIC Research Journal,?18(1), 131-154.
- De Duzman, A. & Tan, E. (2007). Understanding the Essence of Scholarship From the Lived Experiences of a Select Group of Outstanding Filipino Researchers. Educational Research Journal, 22(1), 49-68.
- Eatough, E. M., Chang, C. H., Miloslavic, S. A., & Johnson, R. E. (2011). Relationships of role stressors with organizational citizenship behavior: a meta-analysis.?Journal of Applied Psychology,?96(3), 619.
- Ehineni, J. O. (2017). Teachers morale and academic performance of secondary school students in South West, Nigeria. Teacher Education and Curriculum Studies, 2(5), 68-73.
- Evers, C. J. (2011). A relational study of elementary principals\' leadership traits, teacher morale, and school performance.?ProQuest LLC.
- Gardner, W. L., Cogliser, C. C., Davis, K. M., & Dickens, M. P. (2011). Authentic leadership: A review of the literature and research agenda. The Leadership Quarterly, 22, 1120-1145.
- Hassan, A., & Ahmed, F. (2011). Authentic leadership, trust and work engagement.?International Journal of Human and Social Sciences,?6(3), 164-170.
- Hearn, D. V. R. (2013). Principal Leadership Styles, Faculty Morale, and Faculty Job Satisfaction at Selected Elementary Schools. Dissertations. 228.
- Jackson, D., & Daly, J. (2010). Improving the Workplace: The Pivotal Role of Nurse Leaders.?Contemporary Nurse. Journal for the Australian Nursing Profession,?36(1/2), 82-85.
- Jackson, E. M., Rossi, M. E., Rickamer Hoover, E., & Johnson, R. E. (2012). Relationships of leader reward behavior with employee behavior: Fairness and morale as key mediators.?Leadership & Organization Development Journal,?33(7), 646-661.
- Joo, B. K., & Jo, S. J. (2017). The effects of perceived authentic leadership and core self-evaluations on organizational citizenship behavior: The role of psychological empowerment as a partial mediator.?Leadership & Organization Development Journal,?38(3), 463-481.
- Laschinger, H. K. S., & Fida, R. (2014). New nurses burnout and workplace wellbeing: The influence of authentic leadership and psychological capital.?Burnout Research,?1(1), 19-28.
- Leroy, H., Palanski, M. E., & Simons, T. (2012). Authentic leadership and behavioral integrity as drivers of follower commitment and performance.?Journal of Business Ethics,?107(3), 255-264.
- Liu, H., Cutcher, L., & Grant, D. (2015). Doing authenticity: The gendered construction of authentic leadership.?Gender, Work & Organization,?22(3), 237-255.
- Marques, J. (2008). Awakened leadership in action: a comparison of three exceptional business leaders.?Journal of management development,?27(8), 812-823.
- Misra, P. R. (2002).?The influence of school leadership on commitment, motivation, trust and interpersonal conflict among teachers at selected secondary schools in the Phoenix central region?(Doctoral Dissertation).
- Mohammad, J., QuoquabHabib, F., & Alias, M. A. (2011). Job Satisfaction and Organisational Citizenship Behaviour: an Empirical Study at Higher Learning Institutions.?Asian Academy of Management Journal,?16(2).
- Moore, N. F. (2012). The relationship between high school teacher perceived principal leadership practices and teacher morale levels.?ProQuest LLC.
- M?celdili, B., Turan, H., & Erdil, O. (2013). The influence of authentic leadership on creativity and innovativeness.?Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences,?99, 673-681.
- Murrell-Jones, M. (2012). A Spiritually based leadership approach in the retail environment to assist with the challenges of employee morale and retention. Journal of Business and Retail Management Research, 7(1), 1- 11.
- Ngambi, H. C. (2011). The relationship between leadership and employee morale in higher education.?African Journal of Business Management,?5(3), 762-776.
- Opatokun, K. A., Hasim, C. N., & Hassan, S. S. S. (2013). Authentic leadership in higher learning institution: A case study of International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM).?International Journal of Leadership Studies,?8(1), 49-66.
- Owusu-Bempah, J. (2012). Bestowing authentic leadership: A comparative study of two organisations in Ghana.?International Journal of Business and Management,?7(19), 31-44.
- Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., Moorman, R. H., & Fetter, R. (1990). Transformational leader behaviors and their effects on followers\' trust in leader, satisfaction, and organizational citizenship behaviors.?The leadership quarterly,?1(2), 107-142.
- Rader, M. M. (2015).?Effects of authentic leadership on job satisfaction and younger worker turnover intentions (Doctoral dissertation, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology).
- Richards, D. A., & Schat, A. C. (2011). Attachment at (not to) work: Applying attachment theory to explain individual behavior in organizations. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96(1), 169.
- Robinson, J. D. (2010). The leadership effect: Teacher morale within selected schools in one southeast Tennessee system. ProQuest LLC.
- Roncesvalles, M. C. T., & Sevilla, A. V. (2015).?The impact of authentic leadership on subordinates\' trust and work performance in educational organization: A structural equation modeling (SEM). Journal of Educational and Management Studies, 5(1), 69-79.
- Roux, S. (2010).?The relationship between authentic leadership, optimism, self-efficacy and work engagement: An exploratory study?(Doctoral dissertation, Stellenbosch: University of Stellenbosch).
- Sageer, A., Rafat, S., & Agarwal, P. (2012). Identification of variables affecting employee satisfaction and their impact on the organization.?IOSR Journal of business and management,?5(1), 32-39.
- Sagnak, M. (2017). Authentic Leadership and Altruism: The Mediating Role of Meaningfulness.?Universal Journal of Educational Research,?5(3), 447-452.
- Sirota, D., & Klein, D. (2013).?The enthusiastic employee: How companies profit by giving workers what they want. FT Press.
- Stewart Wherry, H. M. S. (2012).?Authentic leadership, leader-member exchange, and organizational citizenship behavior: A multilevel analysis?(Doctoral dissertation, The University of Nebraska-Lincoln).
- Tonkin, T. H. (2013). Authentic versus transformational leadership: Assessing their effectiveness on organizational citizenship behavior of followers.?International Journal of Business and Public Administration,?10(1), 40-61.
- Upadhyay, D., & Gupta, A. (2012). Morale, welfare measures, job satisfaction: The key mantras for gaining competitive edge.?International Journal of Physical and Social Sciences,?2(7), 80-94.
- Valsania, S. E., Le?n, J. A. M., Alonso, F. M., &Cantisano, G. T. (2012). Authentic leadership and its effect on employees\' organizational citizenship behaviours.?Psicothema,?24(4), 561-566.
- Vogelgesang, G. R., Leroy, H., & Avolio, B. J. (2013). The mediating effects of leader integrity with transparency in communication and work engagement/performance. The Leadership Quarterly, 24(3), 405-413.
- Walumbwa, F. O., Wang, P., Wang, H., Schaubroeck, J., &Avolio, B. J. (2010). Psychological processes linking authentic leadership to follower behaviors.?The Leadership Quarterly,?21(5), 901-914.
- Wang, D. S., & Hsieh, C. C. (2013). The effect of authentic leadership on employee trust and employee engagement.?Social Behavior and Personality: an international journal,?41(4), 613-624.
- Wang, H., Sui, Y., Luthans, F., Wang, D., & Wu, Y. (2014). Impact of authentic leadership on performance: Role of followers\' positive psychological capital and relational processes.?Journal of Organizational Behavior,?35(1), 5-21.
- Webb, D. O. (2014). The relationship between principal leadership and teacher morale in the elementary schools in a northwest Georgia school district.?ProQuest LLC.
- Wong, C. A., & Laschinger, H. K. (2013). Authentic leadership, performance, and job satisfaction: the mediating role of empowerment.?Journal of advanced nursing,?69(4), 947-959.
- Zeinabadi, H., & Salehi, K. (2011). Role of procedural justice, trust, job satisfaction, and organizational commitment in Organizational Citizenship Behavior (OCB) of teachers: Proposing a modified social exchange model.?Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences,?29, 1472-1481.
[Ma. Celia T. Roncesvalles and Amelita A. Gaerlan (2020); AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP AND TEACHER MORALE: IMPACT ON ORGANIZATIONAL CITIZENSHIP BEHAVIOR IN HIGHER EDUCATION Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (1). 304-314] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
1. The Graduate School, University of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10296 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10296
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.