- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
There are concerns as to the effect of the ramadan on kidney function in patients with type 2 diabetes who choose to fast, especially when ramadan occurs during a hot, dry season with a long period of daylight hours. This study objective is to explore the safety of fasting for the whole month of ramadan on renal physiology among patients with type 2 diabetes. We followed diabetic type 2 patients with stable kidney function who chose to fast during the month of ramadan. Body mass index (bmi), blood pressure (bp),serum creatinine with calcul of glomerular filtration rate(gfr) was recorded before the beginning and at the end of the month. Total body water was measured with an impedancemeter before and after ramadan. Only 39 patients who were able to fast 4 weeks and responded to the proposed follow-up after ramadan. Mean baseline estimated bmi, bp,gfr and total body water were respectively; 30,25kg/m2, 13/7mmhg,130 ml/min, 34,69 %. A rise of serum creatinine was noted during fasting by the end of ramadan in 23 patients(57%)and glomerular filtration rate had concomitantly decreased. We noticed that total body water has decreased in 7 patients (18 %). The risk of developing dehydration and acute renal failure was significantly higher for patients with baseline creatinine clearance of <60 ml/min/1.73 m 2 and a total body water under the average. The small sample size does not allow us to draw any firm conclusions on fasting during ramadan in well controlled diabetic type 2 patients. Studies on larger numbers of patients are required.
- Hassanein m, al-arouj m, hamdy o, bebakar wmw, jabbar a et al. Diabetes and ramadan: practical guidelines. Diabetes res clin pract 2017; 126: 303-16.
- Salti i, benard e, detournay b, bianchi-biscay m, le brigand c et al. A population-based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of ramadan in 13 countries: results of the epidemiology of diabetes and ramadan 1422/2001 (epidiar) study. Diabetes care 2004; 27: 2306-11.
- Sebbani, n. El ansari, g. El mghari et m. Amine? apports alimentaires durant le mois de ramadan chez le patient diabétique de type 2 marocain ;la revue de santé de la méditerranée orientale vol. 19 no. 3, 2013
- Modibo traore, impacts nutritionnels et metaboliques du jeûne du mois de ramadan chez des maliens diabétiques de type 2, thèse, faculté des etudes supérieures et postdoctorales de l\'université la- val 2013 (canada)
- Hallack mh, nomani mz. Body weight loss and changes in blood lipid levels in normal men on hypocaloric diets during ramadan fasting. Am j clin nutr 1988;48:1197-210
- Sweileh n, schnitzler a, hunter gr, davis b. Body composition and energy metabolism in resting and exercising muslims during ramadan fast. J sports med phys fitness 1992;72:156?-63
- Ziaee v, razaei m, ahmadinejad z, et al. The changes of metabolic profile and weight during ramadan fasting. Singapore med j 2006;47: 409-14
- Sebai i. Mahjoub f, gammoudi a, ramadan et diabetique insulinonecessitant: attention aux reins. Annales d?endocrinologie 2017; 78(4), p405
- Salti i, benard e, detournay b; the epidiar study group. A population-based study of dia?betes and its characteristics during the fasting month of ramadan in 13 countries: results of the epidemiology of diabetes and ramadan 1422/2001 (epidiar) study. Diabetes care 2004;27:2306-11
- El-wakil hs, desoky i, lotfy n, adam ag. Fasting the month of ramadan by muslims: could it be injurious to their kidneys? Saudi j kidney dis transpl 2007;18:349-54
- Bernieh b, al hakim mr, boobes y, abu zidan fm. Fasting ramadan in chronic kidney disease patients: clinical and biochemical effects. Saudi j kidney dis transpl 2010;21:898-902
- Hassan,s and co. Does ramadan fasting affect hydration status and kidney function in ckd patients?? Annals of nutrition and metabolism, 2018, 72(3), 241-247
- The impact of ramadan fasting on hydration status of type 2 diabetics in kubang kerian, kelantanjurnal kesihatan masyarakat zsu khas 2004.
[M. Elbahi, S. Rafi, G. Elmghari and N. Elansari (2020); IMPACT OF FASTING RAMADAN ON KIDNEY FUNCTION IN PATIENTS WITH DIABETES TYPE 2 IN MARRAKECH Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (2). 249-252] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Errazi hospital, university hospital center Mohammed VI, Department of diabetology, endocrinology, nutrition and metabolic diseases Marrakech, Morocco
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10460 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10460
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.