- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Though earnings quality is extensively used to comment on the financial performance of a firm, there is no universally accepted approaches to measure it. Academic research on earnings quality employed different approaches to assessing the extent of earnings management. This study employed the four-dimensional approaches suggested by Penman (2001), Barton and Simko (2002), Leuz et al. (2003) and Desai et al. (2006). Using a sample of 35 companies for 12 years, this study aims to assesswhether there is any consistencyamong the four measures of earnings quality of listed textile companies in Bangladesh and if no consistency is found the earningsquality is questionable and needs future investigations. The result showedthat there are 32 (about 92%) companies with questionable measures of earnings quality and the remaining 3 (almost 8%) companies with high earnings quality. It implies that the measures of earnings quality are inconsistentfor the majority of the companies over the year. So, one company cannot be labeled as high or low quality based on a single approach. Moreover, the correlation analysis also shows inconsistency among the four approaches. Therefore, this research sheds light on the inconsistency among measures of earnings quality and signalsstakeholders of the companies to use more than one measure while making decisions as one approach cannot complement other approaches.
- Ball, R & Brown, P 1968, ?An Empirical Evaluation of Accounting Income Numbers?,?Journal of Accounting Research, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 159?178.
- Barton, J &Simko, PJ 2002, ?The Balance Sheet as an Earnings Management Constraint?,?SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Demerjian, PR, Lev, B, Lewis, MF &McVay, SE 2013, ?Managerial Ability and Earnings Quality?,?The Accounting Review, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 463?498.
- Desai, H, Krishnamurthy, S &Venkataraman, K 2006, ?Do Short Sellers Target Firms with Poor Earnings Quality? Evidence from Earnings Restatements?,?Review of Accounting Studies, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 71?90.
- ElMoatasemAbdelghany, K 2005, ?Measuring the quality of earnings?, Managerial Auditing Journal, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1001?1015.
- Ewert, R &Wagenhofer, A 2011, ?Earnings Quality Metrics and What They Measure?, SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Hossain, L,Sajib,M.,andHafiz,E. 2017.?"Readymade garment industries going green".The Financial Express. International Publications Limited.
- Hossian, MS, Kabir, R &Latifee, EH 2019, ?Export Competitiveness of Bangladesh Readymade Garments Sector?, International Journal of Research in Business and Social Science (2147-4478), vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 45?63.
- Houqe, MN &Fatema Islam, T 2011, ?Measuring Earnings Quality: Evidence from New Zealand?, Corporate Board: role, duties and composition, vol. 7, no. 1.
- HumayunKabir, M, Sharma, D, Islam, A &Salat, A 2011, ?Big 4 auditor affiliation and accruals quality in Bangladesh?, Managerial Auditing Journal, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 161?181.
- Jensen, MC &Meckling, WH 1976, ?Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure?, Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 305?360.
- Kojima, K, Adhikary, BK &Mitra, RK 2017, ?Does equity holding by main banks affect the earnings quality of client firms? Empirical evidence from Japan?, Journal of Multinational Financial Management, vol. 42?43, pp. 56?73.
- Leuz, C, Nanda, D &Wysocki, PD 2003, ?Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison?,?Journal of Financial Economics, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 505?527.
- Menicucci, E ― 2020b, ?Measures of Earnings Quality?, Palgrave Pivot, Cham, pp. 23?51.
- Menicucci, E 2020a, ?Earnings Quality: How to Define?, Palgrave Pivot, Cham, pp. 1?22.
- Mitra, RK 2016, ?The association between earnings quality and firm-specific return volatility?,?Review of Accounting and Finance, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 294?316.
- Muttakin, MB, Khan, A &Mihret, DG 2017, ?Business group affiliation, earnings management and audit quality: evidence from Bangladesh?,?Managerial Auditing Journal, vol. 32, no. 4/5, pp. 427?444.
- Penman, SH & Zhang, X 2002, ?Accounting Conservatism, the Quality of Earnings, and Stock Returns?, The Accounting Review, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 237?264.
- Penman, SH 2001, ?On Comparing Cash Flow and Accrual Accounting Models for Use in Equity Valuation?, SSRN Electronic Journal, viewed 28 August 2019,
- Srinidhi, B, Gul, FA &Tsui, J 2011, ?Female Directors and Earnings Quality*?,?Contemporary Accounting Research, vol. 28, no. 5, pp. 1610?1644.
- Zhou, J 2008, Earnings quality, analysts, institutional investors and stock price synchronicity, ira.lib.polyu.edu.hk.
[Sharmin Akter and Md. Hossain Ali (2020); MEASURING EARNINGS QUALITY: EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE FROM LISTED TEXTILE COMPANIES OF BANGLADESH Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Mar). 102-108] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Department of Accounting & Information Systems, Jashore University of Science and Technology, Jashore-7408
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10603
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10603
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.