PARADIGM SHIFT OF LEARNING: PROBLEM -BASED LEARNING IN NURSING EDUCATION- REVIEW ARTICLE
- Vice- Principal, Bhopal Nursing College , Under ICMR, MOH&FW, Govt of India. BMHRC, Bhopal, MP State.
- Nursing Tutor, Bhopal Nursing College, Under ICMR , MOH&FW, Govt of India. BMHRC, Bhopal, MP State.
- Professor, R.D.Memorial College of Nursing, Bhopal, MP State India.
- Lecturer, Omaskthi college of Nursing, Dharmapauri, Tamil Nadu.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Problem-based learning (PBL) is one of the most important innovative, effective and valuable instructional teaching strategy in which students can draw upon prior knowledge, learn within the real-world context, and reinforce the knowledge through independent and small group work. It challenges students to learn to learn, prepares students to think critically and analytically, and to find and use appropriate learning resources working cooperatively in groups to seek solutions to real world problems. This article provides framework for the development of problem‐based learning with essential concepts.
- P. Innovation in education: what works, what doesnt, and what to do about it? Jou of innovative Teaching and learning. 2017. Vol. 10 No. 1, pp. 4-33.
- Barrows HS. Problem based learning applied to medical education. 2nd Southern Illinois University School of Medicine; 1999.
- Juniar Ernawaty and Astried Sujono. An evaluation of Problem-based Learning Supported by information and communication Technology: A Pilot Study. Helath science journal.2019. Vol.13 No. 4:664.pp 1-7
- Vernon DT, Blake RL. Does problem-based learning work? A meta-analysis of evaluative research.?Acad Med.?1993;68:550?563.?http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/00001888-199307000-00015. [PubMed]?[Google Scholar]
- Oja KJ. Using problem-based learning in the clinical setting to im- prove nursing students critical thinking: an evidence review. Journal of Nursing Education. 2011; 50(3): 145-51. https://doi.org/10 .3928/01484834-20101230-10
- K and N.VijayaNarayanan.? A Scoping View of Effective Teaching Strategies Vs Learning Dyanamics in Nursing Education . IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science. Volume 8, Issue 5 Ser. III. (Sep-Oct .2019), PP 56-62
- Bliss J. Chang, 2016, Problem-based learning in medical school: A student's perspective, Ann Med Surg (Lond). 2016 Dec; 12: 88?89.)
- Lohfeld L, Neville A, Norman G. PBL in Undergraduate Medical Education: A qualitative Study of the Views of Canadian Residents. Advances in Health Sciences Education; 10:189-214, 2005. http://www.springerlink.com/content/776427415h097k24/
- Solomon P. Problem-based Learning: A review of current issues relevant to physiotherapy education. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice. 21(1):37-49, 2005.
- Barbara J. Duch, Susan E. Groh, Deborah E. Allen. The Power of Problem-based Learning: A Practical how To for Teaching ....2001. stylus publishing. Pp179
- Barrows and R. M. Tamblyn,?Problem-Based Learning : An Approach to Medical Education, Springer Series on Medical Education, Springer, New York, NY, USA, 1980.
- Bound D.L. Problem ?Based leraning in education for the professions. Higher education research and development society. Australia. 1985.
- Mehdi Sayyah,?Kiarash Shirbandi,?Amal Saki-Malehi,?and?Fakher Rahim. Use of a problem-based learning teaching model for undergraduate medical and nursing education: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Adv Med Educ Pract. 2017; 8: 691?700.
- Landeen J, Jewiss T, Vajoczki S, Vine M. Exploring consistency within a problem-based learning context: perceptions of students and faculty. Nurse Educ Pract [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2017 Apr 28];13(4):277-82.
- Kong LN,?Qin B,?Zhou YQ,?Mou SY,?Gao HM. The effectiveness of problem-based learning on development of nursing students' critical thinking: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Nurs Stud.2014 Mar;51(3):458-69.
- Hull, D. Who Are You Calling Stupid?: The Revolution That's Changing Education: Cord Communications. 1995.
- Dolmans DH, Ginns P. A?short questionnaire?to?evaluate?the effectiveness of?tutors?in PBL: validity and reliability. Med Teach. 2005 Sep;27(6):534-8.
- Elizondo-Montemayor.?(Elizondo-Montemayor LL. Formative and summative assessment of the problem-based learning tutorial session using a criterion- referenced system. JIAMSE 2004;14:8-14.
- Bhina Patria?. Problem-based learning implementation questionnaire. J Educ Eval Health Prof 2015; 12: 22.?https://doi.org/10.3352/jeehp.2015.12.22
- Israa M.Alkhasawneh Majd T.Mrayyan CharlesDocherty SafaaAlashram Hamzeh Y.Yousef . Problem-based learning (PBL): Assessing students learning preferences using vark. Nurse Education Today. Volume 28, Issue 5,?July 2008, Pages 572-579.
- Fadi M, Munshi I , Sayed A, etal. To evaluate the Quality of PBL problems. South East Asian of Medical Education. 2008; 2(2): 1-10.
- Alexandra E J P Jacobs, Diana H J M Dolmans?, Ineke H A P Wolfhagen?.? Validation of a short questionnaire to assess the degree of complexity and structuredness of PBL problems. Journal of Medical Education. 2003 ; 37(11): 1001-1007.
- Sathya P. , K. Reddemma. Development of problem based learning training module in nursing education. Int J Res Med Sci. 2017 May;5(5):1986-1990. www.msjonline.org
- Diana H.J.M. Dolmans&Paul Ginns. A short questionnaire to evaluate the effectiveness of tutors in PBL: validity and reliability. 2009. Pp 534-538 | Published online: 03 Jul 2009
- Hounsell D, McCune V. Teaching-learning environments in undergraduate biology: initial perspectives and finding. Occasional report No. 2, Enhancing Teaching and Learning Project, 2002. available at http://www.ed.ac.uk/etl
- Shin JH, Haynes RB, Johnson ME. Effects of problem-based, self-directed undergraduate education on life-long learning. Can Med Educ J. 1993; 148: 969 76.
[Radha K., Sharat V. Kondaguli, N. Vijayanarayanan and Sri Devi K (2020); PARADIGM SHIFT OF LEARNING: PROBLEM -BASED LEARNING IN NURSING EDUCATION- REVIEW ARTICLE Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 243-250] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Vice- Principal, Bhopal Nursing College , Under ICMR, MOH&FW, Govt of India. BMHRC, Bhopal, MP State,
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10773 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10773
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.