CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL CORRELATION OF ENDOSCOPIC ESOPHAGEAL BIOPSIES IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL IN RURAL AREA OF NORTH INDIA
- Lecturer, Department of Pathology, Government Medical College, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India.
- Registrar, Department of Medicine, Government Medical College, Jammu, Jammu and Kashmir, India.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Endoscopy when combined with biopsy, the diagnostic accuracy get increased manifold. The objectiveof the present study was to diagnose the lesions of esophagus by studying endoscopic biopsies in relation to neoplastic and non neoplastic lesions, sub site wise distribution and correlating them with endoscopic diagnoses. Method: The study included 52endoscopic esophageal biopsies. Result: Out of 52 esophageal biopsies, the neoplastic lesions commonly presented as carcinoma whereas the non-neoplastic lesions presented as inflammatory lesions on endoscopy. Neoplastic lesions predominated and squamous cell carcinoma was the most common lesion. Associated conditions were found to be candidiasis with esophagitis.The most common lesion was squamous cell carcinoma followed by esophagitis. In esophageal biopsies, non-neoplastic lesions showed 83.3% while neoplastic lesions showed 95.0% concordance between the two diagnostic modalities respectively. Conclusion: The conclusion of the study was that endoscopic examination alone might miss out in diagnosing majority of the lesions. So, histological examination in adjunct with endoscopy should be considered as much more valuable diagnostic tool rather than endoscopy alone.
- June L. USB Digital Endoscope: you will see what you want to see [Internet]. Engadget. 2008 [cited 2016 Sep 19]. Available from: https://www.engadget.com/2008/11/07/usb-digital-endoscope-you-will-see-what-you-want-to-see/
- Olokoba AB, Bojuwoye BJ, Yusuf M, Olokoba LB, Wahab KW, Agaja SB, et al. Common indications for upper gastro-intestinal tract endoscopy in ECWA Hospital, Egbe, Nigeria: A preliminary report. Afr Sci. 20067(4):165?169.
- Zuberi BF, Faisal N, Quraishy MS, Afsar S, Kazi LAG, Kazim E. Correlation between clinical endoscopic and histological findings at esophago-gastric junction in patients of gastroesophageal reflux disease. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 200515(12):774?777.
- Van Sandick JW, van Lanschot JJB, Kuiken B, Tytgat G, Offerhaus G, Obertop H. Impact of endoscopic biopsy surveillance of Barrett?s oesophagus on pathological stage and clinical outcome of Barrett?s carcinoma. Gut. 199843(2):216?222.
- Van Soest EM, Dieleman JP, Siersema PD, Sturkenboom MCJM, Kuipers EJ. Increasing incidence of Barrett?s oesophagus in the general population. Gut. 200554(8):1062?1066.
- Vidyavathi K, Harendrakumar ML, Lakshmana Kumar YC. Correlation of endoscopic brush cytology with biopsy in diagnosis of upper gastrointestinal neoplasms. Indian J Pathol Microbiol. 200851(4):489?92.
- Aaltonen LA, Hamilton SR, editors. World Health Organization classification of tumours. Pathology and genetics of tumours of the digestive system. Lyon: IARC Press 2000. 314 p.
- Muszyński J, Biernacka D, Siemińska J, G?rnicka B, Bogdańska M. [Effect of age and sex on the occurrence of gastritis changes in gastric mucosa]. Pol Arch Med Wewnętrznej. 199695(6):542?548.
- Pedram A, Mahmodlou R, Enshayi A, Sepehrvand N. Esophageal cancer in northwestern Iran. Indian J Cancer. 201148(2):165?9.
- Pope CE. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (reflux esophagitis). In: Sleisenger MH, Fordtran JS, editors. Gastrointestinal disease: pathophysiology, diagnosis, management. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders 1983. p. 449.
- Roberts RH, Madden MV, Dent DM. Sensitivity of endoscopic detection of malignancy in resectable gastric carcinoma. South Afr Med J. 198772(1):37?8.
- Faigel DO, Deveney C, Phillips D, Fennerty MB. Biopsy-negative malignant esophageal stricture: diagnosis by endoscopic ultrasound. Am J Gastroenterol. 199893(11):2257?60.
[Abhimanyu Sharma and Kapil Gupta (2020); CLINICOPATHOLOGICAL CORRELATION OF ENDOSCOPIC ESOPHAGEAL BIOPSIES IN A TERTIARY CARE HOSPITAL IN RURAL AREA OF NORTH INDIA Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 43-47] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.