THE NATURE OF ASSAMS REVOLTS OF 1893-94 AND THEIR EFFECTS BEYOND: A REVIEW ON SOME TREADED ASPECTS
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
By nature, the revolts of 1893-94 were the peasants and state direct confrontation and they were an open rebellion against the government. Basically, the revolts of 1893-94 were secular in nature as all sections united against the government. Finally, the revolts met with failure in 1894 and after that, there was no outburst of peasants in Assam. But the revolts though they failed, they increased consciousness and awareness in Assam and provided the main strength to the freedom struggle in Assam in further years. This article is an honest attempt through which some aspects beginning from the nature to the effects are addressed in a researching way.
- Mookherjee, Mridula ?Peasant resistance and peasant consciousness in Colonial India ? Subalterns and beyondin Economic and Political Weekly, Oct. 8, 1988,PP.2114-2115
- Sarma, Manorama: ?Peasant uprisings and the middle class hegemony- the case of Assam, NEIHA-X, 1989, PP.328-329.
- Guha, A ?: Planter Raj to Swaraj (1826-1947), Tulika Books, New Delhi, 2006, PP.44, 284,
- Kalita, R.C. The 19th century peasant movement and the Assamese middle classes, NEIHA-XV, 1994, P.205
- Karna, M.N.: Agrarian Structure and Land Reforms in Assam, Regency Publications, New Delhi, 2004, PP.36,.\Barpujari, H. K.(Eds)? Political History of Assam, Publication Board of Assam, Guwahati, 1999, PP.100-102
- Saikia, R. Social and Economic History of Assam (1853-1921) , Manohar, New Delhi, 2001, P.109
- Goswami,S.D: ?The Raijmels : Their historic role in the peasant movements of Assam, NEIHA-X, 1989, P.306
- Pathak, M: ?Peasants revolt at Sarukshetri- the Raij-mel, NEIHA-XXIII, 2002, P.115
- Kalita, M.C. ?Raij-mel in Pabin Kalitas (Ed), Rangia Raij-mel, Raij-mel Krishak Martyrs Memorial Committee, Rangia, 2005, P.3
- Goswami, S.D ?The British Taxation Policy in Assam in J.B.Bhattacharjees(Ed) Studies in the Economic History of NE India, Har Anand Publications, New Delhi, 1994, P.96
- Srinivasa, M.N. Social Change in Modern India, Orient Longman Ltd., New Delhi, 1995,PP. 51,70,100
- Barua, R.H. ?Krishak Bidroh aru Asamor Musalman in K.Kr.Dekas (Ed), Raij-mel Kadamtal, Swahid Smriti? Sangha, Paikarkuchi, Nalbari 1996, P.17
- Ali, Dr M.Abid ?Pothorughat Indianised published by P.Sikdar, Mangaldoi, 2007 P.25.
[Kamal Chandra Pathak (2020); THE NATURE OF ASSAMS REVOLTS OF 1893-94 AND THEIR EFFECTS BEYOND: A REVIEW ON SOME TREADED ASPECTS Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 193-197] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
SONAPUR COLLEGE, ASSAM
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10766 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10766
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.