BI2O3ISLANDS ON NANOCOMPOSITE ZR (0.25) SN (0.75) O4SURFACE ACT AS THE PPM LEVEL H2S GAS MONITOR WORKING AT ROOM TEMPERATURE
- Associate Professor, Dept. of Physics, Nanasaheb Y. N. Chavan College, Chalisgaon, MS, India, 424101.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
BulkZrO2 and SnO2 powders were separately synthesized by disc type ultrasonicated microwave assisted followed centrifuge technique. Synthesized powders of bulk SnO2 and ZrO2 are not exactly stoichiometric and hence not insulating. Nanocomposite material, Zr(0.25)Sn(0.75)O4was prepared by using synthesized ZrO2 and SnO2 powders by taking their 1:3 proportion. Thick films of nanostructured pure Zr(0.25)Sn(0.75)O4 powder were fabricated by screen printing technique. These films were surface activated by dipping technique using bismuth oxide (Bi2O3) for different intervals of time, viz. 5 min, 15 min, 30 min and 45 min followed by firing at 450oC for 30 min. It was observed that, the 15 min Bi2O3 activated Zr(0.25)Sn(0.75)O4 thick film is most sensitive to 5 ppm H2S gas at room temperature.The average crystallite size was observed to be of 8.1 nm and determined using Scherer?s formula. Characterization techniques such as X-Ray diffraction studies (XRD), Field effect scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), Energy dispersive analysis (EDAX) by X rays, etc. were employed to study the average particle size, surface morphology and elemental analysis of the nanocomposite. The gas response, selectivity, response and recovery times of the sensor in the presence of H2S and other gases were studied and discussed.
- Air Quality Guidelines for Europe, 2nd, WHO Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark (2000) pp. 57-209.
- Bagal K., PatilJ. Y.,?Mulla I. S.,?SuryavanshiS. S., Studies on the resistive response of nickel and cerium doped SnO2thick films to acetone vapour, Ceramics International, (38) 2012 pp. 6171-6179.
- Brooks M., Coghlan A., Indian Science,Live and let live, New Scientists (1998) pp. 46-49.
- Cullis C. F., Hirschler M. M., Man?s emissions of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, Atmospheric Environment 23 (1989) pp. 1195?1203.
- Dasmann R. F., Environmental conservation, (4th) John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York (1976) pp. 310-338.
- Durham W. B., Industrial Pollution, Sax, N. I., Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York (1974) pp. 10-35.
- Eckerman, Bhopal Gas Catastrophe 1984: Causes and Consequences, Encyclopedia of Environmental Health,(2011) pp. 302-316.
- Gawas U. B., Verenkar V. M. S., Patil D. R., Nanostructured ferrite based electronic nose sensitive to ammonia at room temperature, Sens. Transducers, (134) 2011 pp. 45-55.
- Gupta B. N., Rastogi S. K., Chandra H., Mathur N., Mahendra P. N., Pangtey B. S., Kumar S., Kumar P., Seth R. K., Dwivedi R. S., Ray P. K., Effect of exposure to toxic gas on the population of Bhopal: part I-epidemiological, clinical, radiological and behavioural studies, Indian J. of Experimental Biology, 26 (1988) pp. 149-160.
- Heylin M., Bhopal: Ten years after, Chem. and Eng. News, 72 (51) (1994) pp. 18-32.
- Khamkar K. A., Bangale S. V., Dhapte V. V., Patil D. R., Bamne S. R., A Novel Combustion Route for the Preparation of Nanocrystalline LaAlO3 Oxide Based Electronic Nose Sensitive to NH3 at Room Temperature, Sens. Transducers, (146) 2012 pp. 145-155.
- KirsiKuoppamaki, HeikkiSetala, Anna-Lea Rantalainen, D. Johan Kotze, Urban snow indicates pollution originating from road traffic, Environmental Pollution, 195 (2014) pp. 56-63.
- Kuanr B. K., Maat S., Chandrashekariaih S., Veerakumar V., Camley R. E. and Celinski Z., J. Appl. Phys., 103 (2008) 07C107.
- MarilenaKampa, Elias Castanas, Human health effects of air pollution, Environmental Pollution, 151 (2) (2008) pp. 362-367.
- Moore P. D., Pollution: Too much of a good thing, Nature (London), 374 (1995) pp. 117-118.
- Patil D. R., Patil L. A., Preparation and study of NH3 gas sensing behavior of Fe2O3 doped ZnO thick film resistors, Sens. Transducers, (70) 2006 pp. 661-670.
- Patil D. R., Patil L. A., Patil P. P., Cr2O3-activated ZnO thick film resistors for ammonia gas sensing operable at room temperature, Sens. Actuators B, (126) 2007 pp. 368?374.
- Patil D. R., Everyman?s Science, Indian Sci. Congress Association, XLVI No. 3 (2011) pp. 155-161.
- Shelke G. B., Patil D. R., Surface functionalized Zr(0.75)Sn(0.25)O4 by SrO2 thick films as H2S gas sensors, 2nd Conference on Condensed Matter and Applied Physics, Bikaner, India, American Institute of Physics (AIP) Conf. Proc., (1953) 2017 pp. 030270-1 ? 030270-4.
- Shelke G. B., Ph.D. Thesis, Ch. 1, KBC North Maharashtra University Jalgaon, 2019, pp. 1-37.
- Shelke G. B., Deshmukh G. D., Patil D. R., Synthesis and Characterizations of Nano Structured SnO2 Thick Films and their Micro Structural Analysis, Int. J. of Current Research,11 (7) 2019 pp. 5576-5579.
- Shelke G. B., Surface functionalized nanocomposite Zr(0.25)Sn(0.75)O4 thick films for the detection of ppm level H2S gas operable at room temperature, Int. J. of Creative Research Thoughts (IJCRT), 08 (04) 2020 pp. 2107-2114.
[G. B. Shelke (2020); BI2O3ISLANDS ON NANOCOMPOSITE ZR (0.25) SN (0.75) O4SURFACE ACT AS THE PPM LEVEL H2S GAS MONITOR WORKING AT ROOM TEMPERATURE Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (Apr). 233-242] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10772 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10772
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.