- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
The present study was carried out to evaluate the influence of dietary supplementation of commercial probiotic (mixture of several strains of bacteria and yeast) on growth performance, feed utilization efficiency and biochemical composition of murrel, Channa striatus. The feeding trial was conducted for 60 days, C. striatus fingerlings with similar body weight (4?1gm) were distributed randomly into five treatment groups, which fed a feed containing probiotics in five different concentrations such as 0.1 %, 0.2 %, 0.3 %, 0.4 % and 0.5 %. The control group was fed without probiotics for the same period. The fishes were fed twice a day at a rate of 5% of their body weight. At the end of the feeding trial, maximum weight gain, length gain, specific growth rate (SGR), feed conversion ratio (FCR), protein efficiency ratio (PER) and feed efficiency (FE) were observed (P <0.05) in the 0.5% probiotic diet fed fishes. FCR was highest in control group and PER and FE values were maximum (P<0.05) in 0.5% Bifilac supplemented group, which was significantly different from other feeding groups. Biochemical composition such as protein, carbohydrate, fat, moisture and ash contents were estimated in the muscle tissues of Channa fry on the initial and final days of the experimental period. At the end of 60 days of feeding trial, the biochemical composition differs significantly (P<0.05) among different experimental group fishes and maximum was observed in 0.5% of Bifilac diet fed group. These results clearly suggest that the inclusion of Bifilac at 0.5% level can improve growth performance, feed utilization efficiency and biochemical composition in C. striatus fingerlings and it can be used effectively as a probiotics for the use in aquaculture.
- O.A.C. (1975): Official methods of analysis. W. Harwitz et al., (eds), 12th Edition, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington D.C.
- Abdel-Tawwab, M. and Ahmad, M.H. (2009)? Live spirulina (Arthrospira platensis) as a growth and immunity for Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus L., challenged with pathogenic bacteria Aeromonas hydrophila. Aquaculture Research., 40: 1-10.
- Al-Dohail, M.A., Hashim, R., Aliyu-Paiko, M. (2009): Effects of the probiotic, Lactobacillus acidophilus, on the growth performance, haematology parameters and immunoglobulin concentration in African catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1822) fingerling. Aquaculture Research., 40: 1642-1652.
- Ayoola, S. O., Ajani, E. K. and Fashae, O.F. (2013): Effect of Probiotics (Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium) on growth performance and haematological profile of Clarias gariepinus juveniles. World Journal of Fish and Marine Sciences., 5(1): 1- 8.
- Balcazar, J. L., Vendrell, D., Blas, I., Zarzuela, I. R., Mazquiz, J. L. and Girones, O. (2008): Characterization of probiotic properties of lactic acid bacteria isolated from intestinal microbiota of fish. Aquaculture., 278 (1-4): 188 - 191.
- Carnevali, O., de Vivo, L., Sulpizio, R., Gioacchini, G., Olivotto, I., Silvi, S., Cresci, A. (2006): Growth improvement by probiotic in European sea bass juveniles (Dicentrarchus labrax, L.), with particular attention to IGF-1, myostatin and cortisol gene expression. Aquaculture., 258, 430 - 438.
- Castex, M., Chim, L., Pham, D., Lemaire, P. and Wabete, N. (2008): Probiotic P. acidilactic application in shrimp Litopenaeus stylirostris culture subject to vibriosis in New Caledonia. Aquaculture., 275: 182 - 193.
- Dayal, R., Srivastava, P.P., Bhatnagar, A., Chowdhary, S. and Yadav, A. K. (2012): Inﬂuence of different sources of dietary lipid on the growth, feed efficiency and survival of snakehead Channa striatus (Bloch, 1793). National Academy Science Letter., 35: 541 - 546.
- EL-Haroun, E. R., Goda, A. and Kabir, C. M. A. (2006): Effect of dietary probiotic Biogen supplementation as a growth promoter on growth performance and feed utilization of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.). Aquaculture Research., 37: 1473 - 1480.
- Folch, J. M., Lees, A. and Stanley, G. W. (1957): A simple method for isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. Journal of Biological Chemistry., 226: 497 - 508.
- Fuller, R. (1989) Probiotics in man and animals. Journal of Applied Bacteriology., 66: 365 - 378.
- Gomez-Gil, B., Roque, A. and Turnbull, J. F. (2000): The use and selection of probiotic bacteria for use in the culture of larval aquatic organisms. Aquaculture., 191: 259 - 270.
- Giri, S. S., Sukumaran, V. and Oviya, M. (2013): Potential probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum VSG3 improves the growth, immunity, and disease resistance of tropical freshwater fish Labeo rohita. Fish and Shellfish Immunology., 34: 660 - 666.
- Hedge, J. E. and Hofreiter, B. T. (1962): Determination of reducing sugars, methods in carbohydrate chemistry, M.L. Academy Press, New York, 1: pp- 388 - 389.
- Hossain, M. K., Latifa, G. A. and Rahman, M. M. (2008): Observations on induced breeding of snakehead murrel, Channa striatus (Bloch, 1793). International Journal of Sustainable Crop Production., 3: 65 - 68.
- Kennedy, S. B., Tucker, J. W., Neidig, C. L., Vermeer, G. K. and Cooper, V. R. (1998): Bacterial management strategies for stock enhancement of warm water marine fish: A case study with common snook (Centropomus undecimalis). Journal of Bulletin of Marine Science., 62: 573 - 588.
- Kolndadacha, O. D., Adikwu, I.A., Okaeme, A. N., Atiribom, R.Y., Mohammad, A. and Musa, Y. M. (2011): The role of probiotics in aquaculture in Nigeria-A review. Continental Journal of Fish and Aquatic Science., 5(1): 8 - 15.
- Lara-Flores, L. M., Novoa, O. M., Mendez, G. and Madrid, L. W. (2003): Use of the bacteria, Streptococcus faecium and Lactobacillus acidophilus and the yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae as growth promoters in Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). Aquaculture., 216: 193 - 201.
- Lowry, O. H., Rosenberg, N. H., Farr, A. and Randall, K. S. L. (1951): Protein measurement with Folinphenol reagent. Journal of Biological Chemistry., 193: 263 - 275.
- Robertson, P. A. W., O'Dowd, C., Burrels, C., Williams, P. and Austin, B. (2000): Use of Carnobacterium as a probiotic for Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss, Walbaum). Aquaculture., 185: 235 - 243.
- Marzouk, M. S., Moustafa, M. M. and Mohamed, N. M. (2008): The influence of some probiotics on the growth performance and intestinal microbial flora of Oreochromis niloticus. Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Tilapia in Aquaculture, Cairo, Egypt, pp: 1059 - 1071.
- Mohapatra, S., Chakraborty, T., Prusty, A. K., Das, P. and Paniprasad, K. (2012): Use of different microbial probiotics in the diet of Rohu, Labeo rohita fingerling: Effects on growth, nutrient digestibility and retention, digestive enzyme activities and intestinal microflora. Aquaculture Nutrition., 18: 1 - 11.
- Munirasu, S., Ramasubramanian, V. and Arunkumar, P. (2017): Effect of Probiotics diet on growth and biochemical performance of freshwater fish Labeo rohita fingerlings. Journal of Entomology and Zoology Studies., 5(3): 1374 ? 1379.
- Nayak, S. K. (2010): Probiotics and immunity: A fish perspective. Fish and Shellfish Immunology., 29: 2 - 14.
- Shan, L., Qui, Z. and Ye, H. (2016): A comparative analysis of the results of feeding the northern snakehead with three different diets. Science Fish Farming., 7: 70 - 7.
- Suzer, C., Coban, D., Kamaci, H. O., Saka, S., Firat, K. and Otgucuoglu, O. (2008) Lactobacillus bacteria as probiotics in gilthead sea bream (Sparus aurata, L.) larvae: Effects on growth performance and digestive enzyme activities. Aquaculture., 280: 140 - 145.
- Ulukoy, G., Metin, S., Kubilay, A., Guney, S., Yilidrim, P., Guzel-Seydim, Z., Kok-Tas, T. and Erkan, G. (2017): The effect of kefir as a dietary supplement on nonspecific immune response and disease resistance in juvenile rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss (Walbaum 1792). Journal of the World Aquaculture Society., 48: 248 - 256.
- Wang, Y. B., Tian, Z. Q., Yao, J. T. and Wei-Fen, L. (2008): Effects of probiotics, Enterococcus faecium, on tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) growth performance and immune response. Aquaculture., 277 (3-4): 203 - 207.
- Yanbo, W. and Zirong, X. 2006): Effect of probiotics for common carp (Cyprinus carpio) based on growth performance and digestive enzyme activities. Animal Feed Science and Technology., 127: 283 - 292.
[Premalatha Z. and Chitra G (2019); INFLUENCE OF COMMERCIAL PROBIOTIC (BIFILAC) ON GROWTH, FEED UTILIZATION EFFICIENCY AND BIOCHEMICAL COMPOSITION OF MURREL, CHANNA STRIATUS Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (Dec). 615-621] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Nirmala College for Women, Coimbatore -641018
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10189
DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10189
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.