UTILIZING HOSPITAL ELECTRONIC DATA TO IDENTIFY CAUSES OF HOSPITALIZATION IN A TERTIARY HOSPITAL, TAIF, SAUDI ARABIA (2005_2014)
- Academic Affairs and Training Department, King Abdulaziz Specialist Hospital, Taif.
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Objectives: This study aimed to explore the benefits of utilizing existing hospital discharged data to identify causes of hospitalization from 2005? 2014 in an attempt to illustrate the benefits of such data and lay the basis for the regular use of these data in the future. Methods:A retrospective hospital-based studyconducted at a tertiary hospital, Taif, Saudi Arabia.All discharges and day surgeries from 2005 to 2014 were included in the study. Data was obtained from the hospital?s electronic system. Results:The total number of discharges was 240,241. The mean patient age was 32 years. The main causes of hospitalization were Injuries, including those from transport accidents, with 17,572(15.3%) cases, followed by diabetes mellitus and hypertensive heart disease with 5463 (4.7%) and 4631 (4%) respectively.Injuries remained the number one cause of hospitalization over the 10 years. Conclusion:Existing hospital electronic data can provide valuable information that can be used for health care planning and research. Injuries, non-communicable diseases, and neonatal conditions were among the most common causes of hospitalization.
- Masi AT. POTENTIAL USES AND LIMITATIONS OF HOSPITAL DATA IN EPIDEMIOLOGIC RESEARCH. American journal of public health and the nation\'s health. 1965;55(5):658-67.
- Schoenman JA, Sutton JP, Elixhauser A, Love DJMCR, Review. Understanding and enhancing the value of hospital discharge data. 2007;64(4):449-68.
- Smith DM, Haupt BJ. Hospital discharge data used as feedback in planning research and education for primary care. Public health reports (Washington, DC : 1974). 1983;98(5):457-66.
- Lorenzoni L, Pearson M. Description of alternative approaches to measure and place a value on hospital products in seven OECD countries. 2011.
- Andrews RM. Statewide Hospital Discharge Data: Collection, Use, Limitations, and Improvements. Health services research. 2015;50 Suppl 1:1273-99.
- National Hospitals Data Collections found in https://www.aihw.gov.au/about-our-data/our-data-collections/national-hospitals-data-collectionaccess on 18/11/2019
- Inpatient care discharges per 100 found in https://gateway.euro.who.int/en/indicators/hfa_534-6010-inpatient-care-discharges-per-100/ access on 06/06/2019.
- Altuwaijri MM. Electronic-health in Saudi Arabia. Just around the corner? Saudi medical journal. 2008;29(2):171-8.
- Altuwaijri MM. Supporting the Saudi e-health initiative: the Master of Health Informatics programme at KSAU-HS. Eastern Mediterranean health journal = La revue de sante de la Mediterranee orientale = al-Majallah al-sihhiyah li-sharq al-mutawassit. 2010;16(1):119-24.
- Etyang AO, Scott JAG. Medical causes of admissions to hospital among adults in Africa: a systematic review. Global health action. 2013;6:1-14.
- Ali E, Woldie M. Reasons and outcomes of admissions to the medical wards of jimma university specialized hospital, southwest ethiopia. Ethiopian journal of health sciences. 2010;20(2):113-20.
- Alamoudi OS. Pattern of Common Diseases in Hospitalized Patients at an University Hospital in Saudi Arabia;A Study of 5594 Patients.
- Al-Ghamdi MA, Bin Abdulhak AA. Pattern, duration of stay, and outcomes of medical admissions: a report from teaching community hospital in Assir region, Saudi Arabia. Journal of community hospital internal medicine perspectives. 2018;8(2):53-6.
[Sitalnesa Abdalla Abdelhafeez (2020); UTILIZING HOSPITAL ELECTRONIC DATA TO IDENTIFY CAUSES OF HOSPITALIZATION IN A TERTIARY HOSPITAL, TAIF, SAUDI ARABIA (2005_2014) Int. J. of Adv. Res. 8 (3). 310-315] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
MD, Community Medicine
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10629 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10629
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.