- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Background: Developmental dysplasia of the hip is a spectrum of disorder ranging from mild dysplasia up to frank dislocation. Objectives: Evaluation of the results of Dega acetabuloplasty in cases of developmental dysplasia of the hip below 8 years. Patients and Methods: This prospective study was conducted on thirty five hips in thirty patients of developmental dysplasia of the hip in Zagazig University hospitals, Sharqia between 2013 and 2015. Results: Results of treatment were evaluated using clinical and radiological parameters based on modified McKay criteria and Severin classification respectively. Satisfactory results were present in thirty two hips (91.4%), compared with unsatisfactory results in three hips (8.6%). Conclusion Adding Dega osteotomy in indicated cases of DDH, greatly helps to improve femoral head coverage and stability of the hip without adding significant complications.
- Dega W. Significance of surgical methods and techniques for the results of treatment in congenital hip dislocation (critical evaluation of methods applied). Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol 1969; 34:179?189.Jh
- Salter RB, Dubos JP. The first fifteen years? personal experience with innominate osteotomy in the treatment of congenital dislocation andsubluxation of the hip. Clin Orthop 1974; 98:72?103.
- Pemberton PA. Pericapsular osteotomy of the ilium for treatment of congenital subluxation and dislocation of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1965;47:65?86.
- Dega W. Transiliac osteotomy in the treatment of congenital hip dysplasia. Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol. 1974; 39: 601?613.
- Chung CY, Choi IH, Cho TJ, et al. Morphometric changes in the acetabulum after Dega osteotomy in patients with cerebral palsy.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008;90-1:88?91.
- Dega W. Selection of surgical methods in the treatment of congenital dislocation of the hip in children (in Polish). Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol 1969; 34:357?366.
- McKay DW. Comparison of the innominate and pericapsular osteotomy in the treatment of congenital dislocation of the hip. Clin Orthop 1974;98:124
- Severin?E.?Contribution to the knowledge of congenital dislocation of the hip joint.??Acta Chir Scand Suppl?1941;?84:1.
- Dega W. Schwierigkeiten in der chirurgischen reposition derveralteten kongenitalen subluxation des h?ftgelenkes bei Kindern. Beitr Orthop Traumatol. 1964;11:642-7.
- Grudziak JS, Labaziewicz L, Kruczynski J, Nowakowski A, Wierusz-Kozlowska M, Schwartz R. Combined one-staged open reduction, femoral osteotomy, and Dega pelvic osteotomy for developmental dysplasia of the hip. J Pediatr Orthop.1993;13:680.
- Reichel H, Hein W. Dega acetabuloplasty combined with intertrochanteric osteotomies. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1996; 323:234?242.
- Grudziak JS, Ward WT. Dega osteotomy for the treatment of congenital dysplasia of the hip. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2001; 83-A:845?854.
- Karlen JW, Skaggs DL, Ramachandran M, Kay RM. The dega osteotomy: a versatile osteotomy in the treatment of developmental and neuromuscular hip pathology. J Pediatr Orthop 2009; 29:676?682.
- Al-Ghamdi A, Rendon JS, Al-Faya F, Saran N, Benaroch T, Hamdy RC. Dega osteotomy for the correction of acetabular dysplasia of the hip: a radiographic review of 21 cases. J Pediatr Orthop 2012; 32: 113?120
- Aksoy C, Yilgor C, Demirkiran G and? Caglar O. Evaluation of acetabular development after Dega acetabuloplasty in developmental dysplasia of the hip. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B 2013, 22:91?95.
- Otaify AE. One-stage surgery for developmental dysplasia of the hip in older children. Pan Arab J Orth Trauma 2002; 6(1): 49-61.
- Issın A, ?ner A, Ko?kara N and ?amurcu Y. Comparison of open reduction alone and open reduction plus Dega osteotomy in developmental dysplasia of the hip. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics B 2016, 25:1?6.
- Albinana J, Dolan LA, Spratt KF, Morcuende J, Meyer MD, Weinstein SL. Acetabular dysplasia after treatment for developmental dysplasia of the hip. Implications for secondary procedures. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2004;86:876_886.
- Herring JA. Developmental dysplasia of the hip. Tachdjans pediatric orthopaedics 2008; 4th edition; 16: 637-756.
- Hess T, Esser O,? Mittelmeier H. Combined acetabuloplasty and varus derotation osteotomy in congenital dislocation of the hip. International Orthopaedics (SICOT) (1996) 20: 350 ? 356.
- El-Sayed M, Hegazy M,? Abdelatif M N,? ElGebeily A M, ElSobky T Nader S. Dega osteotomy for the management of developmental dysplasia of the hip in children aged 2?8 years: results of 58 consecutive osteotomies after 13?25 years of follow-up. J Child Orthop (2015) 9:191?198.
- Kim HW, Morcuende JA, Dolan LA, Weinstein SL. Acetabular development in developmental dysplasia of the hip complicated by lateral growth disturbance of the capital femoral epiphysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2000; 82A:1692?1700.
- Carsi M B and Clarke N M P. Acetabuloplasties at Open Reduction Prevent Acetabular Dysplasia in Intentionally Delayed Developmental Dysplasia of the Hip: A Case-control Study. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2016; 474(5): 1180-1188.
[Ahmed Mostafa El-Feky, Mohamed Anwar Abdel-Haleem, Riad Mansour Megahed, Ahmed El-Sayed El-Malt and Mahmoud El- Badawy Thabet. (2017); ROLE OF ACETABULOPLASTY IN MANAGEMENT OF DEVELOPMENTAL DYSPLASIA OF THE HIP. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 5 (5). 956-961] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
assistant lecturer of orthopaedic surgery Zagazig university
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/4204 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/4204
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.