- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Canine separation anxiety is a prevalent and pertinent issue, making up the second largest group that behavioural clinics see. Various treatments have been devised in an attempt to manage this disorder, with varying success. This review aimed to consolidate the literature regarding the effectiveness of behavioural advice given to owners in the management of separation anxiety in their canines. Eligible studies were sourced through databases Scopus, ScienceDirect, Web of Science, Embase and Proquest. Ten studies were selected to be included in the literature review. Behavioural advice was found to lead to improvements in canine separation anxiety. Factors such as owner?s compliance play a part in the treatment outcome. In conclusion, behavioural advice is effective in the management of separation anxiety in canines.
- Herron ME, Lord LK, Husseini SE.(2014) Effects of preadoption counselling on the prevention of separation anxiety in newly adopted shelter dogs. Journal of Veterinary Behaviour .9(1):13?21.
- Bamberger, M., Houpt, K.A.(2006) Signalment factors, comorbidity and trends in behavior diagnosis in dogs; 1664 cases (1991-2001). J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 229(10): 1591-1601
- Horwitz, D. F. (2000). Diagnosis and treatment of canine separation anxiety and the use of clomipramine hydrochloride (Clomicalm). Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association. 36(2): 107?109.
- Voith, V. L, &Borchelt, P. L. (1996). Readings in companion animal behavior. In V. L. Voith& P. L. Borchelt (Eds.), Separation anxiety in dogs (pp. 124?139). Trenton, NJ: Veterinary Learning Systems.
- Schwartz, Stefanie (2003) Separation anxiety syndrome in dogs and cats. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. 222(11): 1526-1532
- Patronek GJ, Glickman LT, Back AM, et al. (1996) Risk factors for relinquishment of dogs to? an animal shelter. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 209(4):738?42.
- Takeuchi Y, Houpt KA, Scarlett JM.(2000) Evaluation of treatments for separation anxiety in J Am Vet Med Assoc. 217(3): 342?345
- Kurachi et al (2017) Dogs predisposed to anxiety disorders and related factors in Japan Appl. Anim.Behav. Sci. 196: 69-75
- Flannigan, N.H. Dodman (2001) Risk factors and behaviours associated with separation anxiety in dogs J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 219(14): 460-466
- Patronek, G.J. & Glickman, Larry & Beck, Alan & McCabe, G.P. & Ecker, C. (1996). Risk Factors For Relinquishment Of Dogs To An Animal Shelter. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical 209(3): 572-581.
- Brayley, Clarissa & Montrose, Tamara. (2016). The effects of audiobooks on the behaviour of dogs at a rehoming kennels. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 174: 111-115.
- Marston, Linda & Bennett, Pauleen. (2003). Reforging the bond - Towards successful canine adoption. Applied Animal Behaviour Science - Appl. Anim.Behav. Sci. 83(3): 227-245.
- Sherman BL and Mills DS.(2008) Canine anxieties and phobias: an update on separation anxiety and noise aversions. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 38(5): 1081-1106.
- Ionel, Papuc&Deac, Lucia & Cristian, Purdoiu. (2013). The behavioral therapy for separation anxiety in dog. Bulletin of University of Agricultural Sciences and Veterinary Medicine Cluj-Napoca. Veterinary Medicine. 70(1): 121-127.
- Podberscek, AL & Hsu, YY &Serpell, James. (1999). Evaluation of clomipramine as an adjunct to behavioural therapy in the treatment of separation-related problems in dogs. The Veterinary record. 145(13). 365-369.
- Miguel Iba?n?eza, Bernadette Anzola. (2009). Use of fluoxetine, diazepam, and behavior modification as therapy for treatment of anxiety-related disorders in dogs. Journal of Veterinary Behavior. 4(6): 223-229
- Pineda, B. Anzola, A. Olivares, M. Ib??ez. (2014) Fluoxetine combined with clorazepate dipotassium and behaviour modification for treatment of anxiety-related disorders in dogs. The Veterinary Journal 199 (3) 387?391
- Cottam, Nicole & Dodman, Nicholas & Moon-Fanelli, Alice & J Patronek, Gary. (2008). Comparison of Remote Versus In-Person Behavioral Consultation for Treatment of Canine Separation Anxiety. Journal of applied animal welfare science : JAAWS. 11(1): 28-41.
- Jayne Blackwell, Emily & Casey, Rachel & W. S. Bradshaw, John. (2016). Efficacy of written behavioral advice for separation-related behavior problems in dogs newly adopted from a rehoming center. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. 12: 13-19
- Butler, Rynae&Sargisson, Rebecca &Elliffe, Douglas. (2011). The efficacy of systematic desensitization for treating the separation-related problem behaviour of domestic dogs. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 129(2-4): 136-145
- Blackwell, R. A. Casey, J. W. S. Bradshaw (2006) Controlled trial of behavioural therapy for separation-related disorders in dogs. The Veterinary Record 158(16):551-554
- I Clark, William N. Boyer (1993) The effects of dog obedience training and behavioural counselling upon the human-canine relationship. Applied Animal Behaviour Science. 37(2): 147-159
- Dodman, N., Donnelly, R., Shuster, L., Mertens, P., Rand, W., Miczek, K., 1996. Use of fluoxetine to treat dominance aggression in dogs. Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association 209(9): 1585?1587.
- Reisner, I., (2006). An overview of aggression. In: Horwitz, D., Mills, D., Heath, S. (Eds.), BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Behavioural Medicine. British Small Animal Veterinary Association:181?194.
- Klein, N.F., Evans, F., (1989). Anxiety and learning to formulate hypothesis. Journal of Educational Psychology 60(6): 465?475.
- Lisanna Lamb, NadjaAffenzeller, Lynn Hewison, Kevin James McPeake, Helen Zulch, Daniel S. Mills (2018) Development and application of the lincoln adherence instrument record for assessing client adherence to advice in Dog Behavior consultations and success Frontiers in veterinary science 5:37
- Shalvey, Emma; McCorry, Mark; Hanlon, Alison.(2019) Exploring the understanding of best practice approaches to common dog behaviour problems by veterinary professionals in Ireland. Irish Veterinary Journal 72(1)
- Borchelt PL, Voith VL. (1982) Diagnosis and treatment of separation-related behavior problems in dogs. Vet Clin North Am Small AnimPract 12(4):625?635.
- Mugford, R.A., 2002. Canine behavioural therapy. In: Serpell, J. (Ed.), The Domestic Dog: Its Evolution, Behaviour and Interactions with People. London, UK, pp.141?143.
- Crowell-Davis, S., Murray, T., 2006. Veterinary Psychopharmacology. Blackwell Publishing Ltd., Oxford, p. 51.
- Pharmacological Treatment in Behavioural Medicine: The Importance of Neurochemistry, Molecular Biology and Mechanistic Hypotheses. (2001) The Veterinary Journal, 162, 9?23.
- Michelle Lem. (2002) Behavior modification and pharmacotherapy for separation anxiety in a 2-year-old pointer cross. Can Vet J Volume 43.
- Christos I Karagiannis, Oliver HP Burman and Daniel S Mills. (2015). Dogs with separation-related problems show a ?less pessimistic? cognitive bias during treatment with fluoxetine (Reconcile?) and a behaviour modification plan. BMC Veterinary Research.
- Brian J. Burton. (2018). Literature review: Behaviour modification for canine separation anxiety. IAABC Journal.
- Sargisson R. (2014). Canine separation anxiety: strategies for treatment and management. Dove Press
- Barbara L. Sherman. (2008). Separation Anxiety in Dogs. Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practising Veterinarian -North American Edition.
[Shen Jiaying, Seah Jing Yan and Yap Qi Rou. (2019); THE USE OF BEHAVIOURAL ADVICE IN THE MANAGEMENT OF SEPARATION ANXIETY IN CANINES: A LITERATURE REVIEW. Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (8). 545-558] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Oei Family Clinic
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/9533 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/9533
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.