ORAL HEALTH KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICE AMONG INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL CHILDREN IN TAIF CITY, SAUDIARABIA
- Associate Professor of Community and Preventive Dentistry, Faculty of Dentistry, Taif University, Taif, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- BDS, Faculty of Dentistry, Taif University, Taif, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Cite This Article as
- Corresponding Author
Aim : To assess the knowledge and practice of oral health among intermediate schoolchildren in Taif city, KSA. Introduction : Oral health knowledge is an important factor to maintain a healthy oral condition, However, without interpreting this knowledge into practice, maximum oral health will not be achieved.(1) An essential fact for humans to be in a healthy state and well-begin is to have a proper oral health, this can be achieved by knowing and practicing oral hygiene methods in a good manner. Materials and methods : This study started by taking the approvals from the randomly selected schools and giving the choice for the students to complete the questionnaire was considered as an approval to participate in the project, the questionnaires were distributed among 394 participants divided to males and females, The collected data was include: demographic variables, Oral health knowledge ,and practice close ended and multiple choice questions, Statistical analysis was performed by (SPSS 20.0). Results: The results of the study shows most of the participants weren?t aware that the tooth decay can affect their general health ,while the majority of the respondents brush their teeth twice a day, Moreover there was statistically significance difference with(P = ,000) when comparing the knowledge between male and female which shows that the female participants have better knowledge regarding their oral health than male. And also there was a significance difference when comparing the knowledge between students of different socio-economic status ( Private \\\\ Govermental schools ) with (P = ,000) It was seen that private school students have good knowledge in compare to governmental students. Conclusion: The results of this study shows that the level of oral health knowledge and practice still below satisfaction, so the implementation for further preventive dental public health programs and the involvement of more oral health education programs in the school curriculum can play an important role to improve their knowledge and awareness.
- McGrath C, Sham AS, Ho DK, Wong JH. The impact of dental neglect on oral health: A population based study in Hong Kong. Int Dent J 2007;57:3-8.
- Kenneth W. Norwood, Jr, MD, Rebecca L. Slayton, CLINICAL REPORT, Oral Health Care for Children With Developmental Disabilities,American academy of pediatric, Guidance for the Clinician in Rendering Pediatric Care, Volume 131, Number 3, March 2013.
- Chi DL, Masterson EE, Carle AC, Mancl LA, Coldwell SE: Socioeconomic status, food security, and dental caries in US children: mediation analyses of data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2007?2008. Am J Public Health. 2014, 104 (5): 860-864. 10. US General Accounting Offices.
- Jiang H, Petersen PE, Peng B, Tai B, Bian Z: Self-assessed dental health, oral health practices, and general health behaviors in Chinese urban adolescents. Acta Odontol Scand. 2005, 63: 343-352.
- Oral Health: Dental Disease is a Chronic Problem among Low-Income Populations. Washington, DC:Report to Congressional Requesters; 2000.
- Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health. Bull World Health Organ 2005;83:661-9.
- Sa?adu, L., Musa, O. L., Abu-Saeed, K. & Abu-Saeed, M. B. (2012). Knowledge and practice on oral health among Junior Secondary School Students in Ilorin West Local Government Area of Nigeria. E-journal of Dentistry, 2(2), 170-175.
- Juliana O. Taiwo1* Olusola Ibiyemi2 Olubunmi Bankole3.(2012) Oral Health Attitudes and Practices of the Elderly People in South East Local Government Area (SELGA) In Ibadan. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare. Vol 2, No.4, 2012,P:53-59.
- \\\"Health topics: Oral health\\\". World Health Organization (WHO). Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- \\\"Brief about Ta\\\'if City\\\". Ta\\\'if City. Retrieved April 26, 2016.http://www.taifcity.gov.sa/pages/%D9%86%D8%A8%D8%B0%D8%A9-%D8%B9%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B7%D8%A7%D8%A6%D9%81-57.aspx
- AL SHAMRANI A.S1, BASSUONI, M.W2, MOHAMED, M.A3, MOHAMED, R.N4, HUSSEIN, Y.M5.(2015) CARIES PREVALENCE AND TREATMENT NEED AMONG PRIMARY SCHOOL CHILDREN IN TAIF, SAUDI ARABIA. INDIAN JOURNAL OF APPLIED RESEARCH.VOL : 5,ISSUE: 7,P:326-328.(2015).
- KHALED ALSWAT,A,C WALEED S. MOHAMED,A MOUSTAFA A. WAHAB,B AND AHMED A. ABOELILB.(2016) THE ASSOCIATION BETWEEN BODY MASS INDEX AND DENTAL CARIES: CROSS-SECTIONAL STUDY. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL MEDICINE RESEARCH. J CLIN MED RES. 2016;8(2):147-152.
- Al-Omiri MK, Al-Wahadni AM, Saeed KN. Oral health attitudes,knowledge, and behavior among school children in North Jordan. J Dent Educ 2006;70:179-87.
- Priya M, Kanagharekha Devads, Deepti Amarlal, Venkatachalapathy A.(2013)Oral health attitudes, knowledge and practice among school children in Chennai, India. Journal of education and ethics in Dentistry. January-June 2013,Vol:3, Issue:1, P:26-33.
- Nitika Jain, Dipika Mitra, KP Ashok, Jyothi Dundappa, Sweta Soni, Sameer Ahmed.(2012) Oral hygiene awareness and practice among patients attending OPD at Vyas Dental College and Hospital, Jodhpur. Journal of Indian society and periodontology. Y : 2012 Vol : 16 , Issue : 4 , P : 524-528
- Salwa A. Al-Sadhan.(2003) Oral health practices and dietary habits of intermediate school children in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The Saudi Dental Journal: 15 (2); 81-87.
- Cheah Whye Liana *, Tay Siow Phingb , Chai Shiun Chata , Bong Cheong Shina , Luqmanul Hakim Baharuddina , Zhuleikha Bainun Jalil Che?Jalila.(2010) Oral health knowledge, attitude and practice among secondary school students in Kuching, Sarawak. Archives of Orofacial Sciences (2010), 5(1): 9-16.
- Barzan A. Mirza, Vian M. Hussain.(2006) The effect of frequency of tooth brushing on the gingival status among 10-13 years old school children in Dohuk. (J Bagh Coll Dentistry 2006; 18(3)48-50.
- Oral Health Status in rural child population: Promotional &Interventional Strategies. A GOI-WHO Collaborative Programme
- 2006-07.Available from: http://www.whoindia.org/en/.../Section30_1453.htm. December 2012.
- Honkala E. Oral health promotion with children and adolescents. In: Shou L, Blikhorn (Edn) .Oral health promotion. Oxford University Press. 1993;p 669-87.
[Mohammed Wael Bassuoni, Ahmed Abdulhalim Turkistani, Abdulrahman Hani Sabbagh, Mutaz Fahad Felemban, Talal Mastour Alqurashi and Khalid Hussain Alghamdi (2019); ORAL HEALTH KNOWLEDGE AND PRACTICE AMONG INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL CHILDREN IN TAIF CITY, SAUDIARABIA Int. J. of Adv. Res. 7 (12). 64-71] (ISSN 2320-5407). www.journalijar.com
Article DOI: 10.21474/IJAR01/10125 DOI URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.21474/IJAR01/10125
Share this article
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.